2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

4 hours ago, DR43 said:

Why would the 49ers be willing to deal Aiyuk to the Steelers for what I am sure will be draft picks?

Your time is now while our time is well...not now.

I mean, if the relationship is broken or money isn't even, I can see them trading Aiyuk. But we just went through this with deebo. I don't think anyone expects him to get moved. It's always a hot topic for rumors until a definitive end is reached. You just kind of live with it

I also agree that it's too early for Pittsburgh in particular to make that kind of move

• Like 1

If the 49ers decide to trade Brandon Aiyuk, they will do it before the draft, right? — Matt B.

Yes, that’s my sense. Just go back two years to when Deebo Samuel was agitating for a trade. The 49ers kept their phone lines open before, and especially during, the draft to see what kind of offers Samuel would bring. They got draft-day proposals from the New York Jets and Detroit Lions, but the 49ers didn’t budge. They were solid offers (especially the Jets’) but the 49ers needed to be blown away to let go of Samuel, who was coming off his incredible 2021 campaign.

I think a similar scenario is in play for Aiyuk, who has excellent chemistry with Brock Purdy: The 49ers will listen to offers but it will take something monumental to let him go.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

If the 49ers decide to trade Brandon Aiyuk, they will do it before the draft, right? — Matt B.

Yes, that’s my sense. Just go back two years to when Deebo Samuel was agitating for a trade. The 49ers kept their phone lines open before, and especially during, the draft to see what kind of offers Samuel would bring. They got draft-day proposals from the New York Jets and Detroit Lions, but the 49ers didn’t budge. They were solid offers (especially the Jets’) but the 49ers needed to be blown away to let go of Samuel, who was coming off his incredible 2021 campaign.

I think a similar scenario is in play for Aiyuk, who has excellent chemistry with Brock Purdy: The 49ers will listen to offers but it will take something monumental to let him go.

That was difficult to read, but yes we would have to be blown away with the compensation. I feel like the team knows, we are leaning towards Aiyuk and getting rid of the quick outlets to Deebo that Jimmy depended on. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, StevenK said:

1 year deal, thought they may extend him further

That's not his contract; that's just the notice he received from the 49ers that they tendered him.

Edited by 49erurtaza

Blackmon is a solid safety and would be a good pick up, depending on the price tag. Would give his assurance and all but close the chapter on Gipson in a SF uniform. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Blackmon is a solid safety and would be a good pick up, depending on the price tag. Would give his assurance and all but close the chapter on Gibson in a SF uniform. 

I like Blackmon quite a bit. He can cover the slot and thump down in the box too. Kind of surprised to see that Indy hadn't brought him back, I wonder if he hasn't been offered the money he expected and is looking for a 1 year prove it deal

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adamq said:

I like Blackmon quite a bit. He can cover the slot and thump down in the box too. Kind of surprised to see that Indy hadn't brought him back, I wonder if he hasn't been offered the money he expected and is looking for a 1 year prove it deal

He can be our Jimmy Ward! 

Athletic NFL podcast had Brad Spielburger on and the 49ers were one of his choices for teams that he didn't know what they were doing lol. 

Honestly, I don't think it's all that hard to figure out. The niners seem like one of the most net zero free agency teams there have been. 

But honestly, it was kind of a weird point for him to make. He seemed very confused by the YGM contract (which I agree, was needlessly strong and reeked of "we really liked this guy when he came out of the draft a few years ago"), but he mostly seemed confused because he's convinced that one of either Deebo or Aiyuk isn't on the team by the end of the first day of the draft and I guess we hadn't addressed that position? He was trying to figure out why we were signing DE4 for DE3 money. 

I mean, if we trade Deebo or Aiyuk (Mays took this time to double down that they should trade Deebo lol), the replacement is in the draft. It's a weak receiver FA class and an uber strong draft class. That shouldn't be surprising. 

Then the FA class was legit just kind of one for one? 

• Young ----> Floyd
  • AA -----> Collins
  • Farrell ----> YGM
  • Oliver ----> Yiadom
  • Burks ----> Campbell
  • Darnold ----> Dobbs
  • Gipson (unsigned) -----> new safety 
  • Pryor -----> Parker
  • Kinlaw -----> Elliott

And then some fluff. 

There may be a downgrade on AA to Collins, but there's not a whole lot of true movement here in terms of talent level. I mean, you could prefer the upside that Young provides based on his youth and pedigree, but nothing actually supports that he is better than Floyd. 

• Like 6

I've seen Brad post similar things and I don't get it either. We went for cheaper, more durable replacements for about the same play. Some spots we may be downgrading but it won't be significant. 

And if we get trade Aiyuk, it will be for a first round pick and then we can take a receiver then. Going offense in free agency is flat out dumb since you are overpaying like crazy...More than you would for defensive players. Why sign a guard for 20M when you can take someone like Beebe in the late 2nd? 

Did he want the Niners to pay 20M+ for Ridley or something? Crazy. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Athletic NFL podcast had Brad Spielburger on and the 49ers were one of his choices for teams that he didn't know what they were doing lol. 

Honestly, I don't think it's all that hard to figure out. The niners seem like one of the most net zero free agency teams there have been. 

But honestly, it was kind of a weird point for him to make. He seemed very confused by the YGM contract (which I agree, was needlessly strong and reeked of "we really liked this guy when he came out of the draft a few years ago"), but he mostly seemed confused because he's convinced that one of either Deebo or Aiyuk isn't on the team by the end of the first day of the draft and I guess we hadn't addressed that position? He was trying to figure out why we were signing DE4 for DE3 money. 

I mean, if we trade Deebo or Aiyuk (Mays took this time to double down that they should trade Deebo lol), the replacement is in the draft. It's a weak receiver FA class and an uber strong draft class. That shouldn't be surprising. 

Then the FA class was legit just kind of one for one? 

• Young ----> Floyd
  • AA -----> Collins
  • Farrell ----> YGM
  • Oliver ----> Yiadom
  • Burks ----> Campbell
  • Darnold ----> Dobbs
  • Gipson (unsigned) -----> new safety 
  • Pryor -----> Parker
  • Kinlaw -----> Elliott

And then some fluff. 

There may be a downgrade on AA to Collins, but there's not a whole lot of true movement here in terms of talent level. I mean, you could prefer the upside that Young provides based on his youth and pedigree, but nothing actually supports that he is better than Floyd. 

I’ll play along with the possibility of trading a receiver and I also think it could be Deebo, BUT wouldn’t we consider trading him during the season before the trade deadline to save money. Plus I imagine it depends on who we actually were to draft and get to “replace him.” 

I’ve seen the rumors about trading Aiyuk, but I just don’t see it happening. Clearly anything is possible, but I think since we haven’t restructured Deebo’s contract, that has to be a strong sign that we want to move on similar to Mooney. Meaning I think we want to extend DMO and draft a guy early on. Sorry db is another discussion in itself. 

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

I’ll play along with the possibility of trading a receiver and I also think it could be Deebo, BUT wouldn’t we consider trading him during the season before the trade deadline to save money. Plus I imagine it depends on who we actually were to draft and get to “replace him.” 

I’ve seen the rumors about trading Aiyuk, but I just don’t see it happening. Clearly anything is possible, but I think since we haven’t restructured Deebo’s contract, that has to be a strong sign that we want to move on similar to Mooney. Meaning I think we want to extend DMO and draft a guy early on. Sorry db is another discussion in itself. 

All this Aiyuk trade talk makes me sad….not sure how i will handle it if he is traded.

• Like 1

We are trying to win a SB next year. Selling Deebo means we are out of the playoff race. It wont happen. He is too valuable to the offense.

The only scenario where this works is if we have a major injury and trade deebo for a player to fill that spot, but we aren't trading Deebo (or aiyuk) for assets that do not help us for the 2024 season. 

Our QB is making 1m in 2024. It is a 1-2 year window right now. 

We restructured Kittle over Deebo. That was pretty telling. Moderately reminds me of the fact we did not restructure Jimmy after 2019. Says a lot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Did he say what he expected us to do?

I see the bit about "overpaying" for YGM, but it reminds me a lot of the Ebukam signing. Similar builds, long, stout. Good motors. Young. Great player for KK to help expand their game. That signing worked out just fine. 

"not addressing WR" is weird because WRs are moderately overpaid and we already have 3 viable WRs. WR is definitely a need, but it is a deep WR class so being upset that we didnt address it in FA is kind of odd.

I think the FO has done good work so far. Need to nail this draft and we will be in a great spot to remain kings of the NFC. 

• Like 2