2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, XScutterX said:

With Lynch bringing up Aiyuk playing on his 5th year, when do you think he shows up for the 2024 season?

I'm guessing he misses all of training camp and shows up just before week 1.

He loses money if he does that, so if he's okay with losing the money, I can see it. 5th year option isn't the same as the tag, he has to show up and if he doesn't, they start to levy fines which can no longer be waived.

I can't imagine that the idea is that they don't want Aiyuk long term, but I'm guessing they don't feel comfortable giving him top 5 type wr money yet either. That would be the only reason I can think of to make him actually play on the option. Because this isn't a McG situation where you're really pretty sure that he's not going to be back but the fifth year option is a reasonable price to pay for a single year for him. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He loses money if he does that, so if he's okay with losing the money, I can see it. 5th year option isn't the same as the tag, he has to show up and if he doesn't, they start to levy fines which can no longer be waived.

I can't imagine that the idea is that they don't want Aiyuk long term, but I'm guessing they don't feel comfortable giving him top 5 type wr money yet either. That would be the only reason I can think of to make him actually play on the option. Because this isn't a McG situation where you're really pretty sure that he's not going to be back but the fifth year option is a reasonable price to pay for a single year for him. 

He will probably lose money, but since he is on his rookie contract, the niners could wave the fines. They did this with Bosa.

Is Bosa being fined for his absence? According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, players in Bosa's situation can be fined up to $40,000 per practice missed. Because Bosa is still on his rookie contract, however, the CBA allows the 49ers to waive those fines, which is what Lynch has said the Niners will do.

Not sure the niners would wave the fines for Aiyuk though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

He will probably lose money, but since he is on his rookie contract, the niners could wave the fines. They did this with Bosa.

Oh, that's an interesting caveat. So if you're a vet not on your rookie deal, you get screwed LoL

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, that's an interesting caveat. So if you're a vet not on your rookie deal, you get screwed LoL

Yes, the only exception to the fines is if you are in your fifth-year option via the rookie contract.

• Like 1

Dude missed the "bull" before the sh*t but yes lol.

This is what our front office does to our players before they finally end up agreeing to a deal just before or right after training camp starts. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:
3 hours ago, XScutterX said:

With Lynch bringing up Aiyuk playing on his 5th year, when do you think he shows up for the 2024 season?

I'm guessing he misses all of training camp and shows up just before week 1.

I remember last year there was something about how the team could waive Bosa's fines because he was on his rookie deal? 

EDIT: should have kept reading. my b

Edited by N4L

12 hours ago, XScutterX said:

One thought I had about this. Bosa was drafted in 2019. Aiyuk in 2020. There was a new cba signed in 2020, and one of the changes was that teams could no longer waive fines for hold outs. 

It's possible (seems somewhat likely) there is different language for hold outs for aiyuk than there was for Bosa. 

I get why we don't have a deal with him yet. I get why aiyuk wants to push the issue now, before the draft, while he has a bit more leverage. The niners aren't going to capitulate but I wish they would hammer this deal out in July rather than August. Too many times do our guys miss camp and start slow. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Which of the WRs up for a mega deal will sign the first deal and set the benchmark? Will it be Aiyuk? 

I hope so, but after the Bosa contract has become an outlier for defensive players (and at the top of the market for non-QBs period) in spite of the salary cap increase, I think that they are going to take this at least as slow as last time. But I think both sides will settle in the 25-27 mil range. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I hope so, but after the Bosa contract has become an outlier for defensive players (and at the top of the market for non-QBs period) in spite of the salary cap increase, I think that they are going to take this at least as slow as last time. But I think both sides will settle in the 25-27 mil range. 

I think he gets close to the 27-28M range and then ASB will be a little ahead of that and Jettas goes comfortably over the 30M mark. That's how I see it playing out. 

No one wants to make the first move though. I just hope it does not drag on much longer but when have we come to terms with a star player this soon? It just does not happen.