2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I thought McKivitz had a ton of ups and downs last season for sure, but it was his first year starting.....the thing is, he was pretty good in the playoffs when the lights were brightest.  I think re-signing him was pretty smart tbh.  But yeah, they def could use an improvement at that spot, and Center.   You can't really have a good oline with a bad Center, especially in Shanahan's Offense. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

pretty good in the playoffs

I think this has a lot to do with Feliciano starting at guard during the playoffs over Burford. McKivitz is an okay Band-Aid for now, and potentially if the 49ers do find an upgrade at C/RG, we might see McKivitz take a step forward. Brendel seems to be the weak link in pass blocking. As much as I want a OT at 31 I would be extremly happy with Fraizer or JPJ at 31. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think this has a lot to do with Feliciano starting at guard during the playoffs over Burford. McKivitz is an okay Band-Aid for now, and potentially if the 49ers do find an upgrade at C/RG, we might see McKivitz take a step forward. Brendel seems to be the weak link in pass blocking. As much as I want a OT at 31 I would be extremly happy with Fraizer or JPJ at 31. 

What sucks is Brendel was one of the best last year, but just totally regressed this year.  Wouldn't surprise me if Feliciano totally regresses this year too, he's barely hanging on...they need to plan for that.  McKivitz imo will likely be better. Brendel - the guy just isn't strong or nasty enough imo.  They've tried to fill the C for a while (Brunskill, Mack), but just can't find a long term answer. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb.

These are people I wish the media would focus on with this trade talk. 

The bottom line is, our fanbase gives absurd online engagement with everything. These media outlets know it. Clicks = money. So, of course they are going to spin up the drama and make it seem crazier than it is, and of course Aiyuk is going to lean into it. 

Kittle. Warner. Trent. Deebo. Bosa. It has been 6 straight years of this. The deal always gets done. We can make it work. 

It will happen again next year with Brock. Yet people will act like the sky is falling. 

Also - when Deebo went through this, there were rumblings that he wasn't happy being used as RB. A lot of people (myself included) didnt really buy it, but it turned out that was a real thing. We are hearing the same rumblings about Aiyuk not being happy with his targets. I dont blame him, but we uhhh made the SB last year with basically the #1 offense in the league. I heard him on a podcast say that he was happy to be on a winning team, so I think he does want the ball more but is also happy being a winner. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb.

These are people I wish the media would focus on with this trade talk. 

The bottom line is, our fanbase gives absurd online engagement with everything. These media outlets know it. Clicks = money. So, of course they are going to spin up the drama and make it seem crazier than it is, and of course Aiyuk is going to lean into it. 

Kittle. Warner. Trent. Deebo. Bosa. It has been 6 straight years of this. The deal always gets done. We can make it work. 

It will happen again next year with Brock. Yet people will act like the sky is falling. 

Also - when Deebo went through this, there were rumblings that he wasn't happy being used as RB. A lot of people (myself included) didnt really buy it, but it turned out that was a real thing. We are hearing the same rumblings about Aiyuk not being happy with his targets. I dont blame him, but we uhhh made the SB last year with basically the #1 offense in the league. I heard him on a podcast say that he was happy to be on a winning team, so I think he does want the ball more but is also happy being a winner. 

You're so right.  Our fanbase online is absolutely insane, like overreacting to every little thing......and the content creators are super popular and post clickbait 90% of the time.  Love the team, don't like the fanbase/media much (anymore).  In a way I kind of miss the days when it was just Barrows and Maiocco doing their thing. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

No need for a team to offer a first rounder for someone who will be getting a big deal when you can get a very good WR on a rookie deal for the next five years. 

I do wonder what exactly does front office does every offseason for the players to react the way they do lol. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No need for a team to offer a first rounder for someone who will be getting a big deal when you can get a very good WR on a rookie deal for the next five years. 

I agree that I'd generally prefer to just take a shot on the rookie class because the upside of the contract value is so huge, but I think there's always a market for reasonable stability (aiyuk isn't a 100% guaranteed return, but the percentage of likelihood that he gives you what you expect is substantially higher than that of a rookie) in the received asset, especially for teams that employ guys who may not be long for their job if they don't turn it around. 

If a first is given up for Aiyuk, that team isn't passing on a special receiver prospect. The second tier of this receiver class isn't  much different than other years except that maybe you can say it's larger,  which doesn't have anything to do with a specific receiver prospect. 

One route provides you with likely more stability and certainty as well as possibly a greater immediate performance (important if you're on the hot seat and may need things to go off immediately....take Jacksonville for example) and the other is a higher variance route. 

Why pay AJ Brown when you can draft Treylon Burks in a good receiver class.  But sometimes you can get Justin Jefferson. I think so much of this is situational

The 2020 WR class didn't have the top tier that this class has, but it's likely that it will have more first round picks and that second tier was pretty good as well. That still produced Ruggs (take out the accident and I'm not still not sure he was tracking to be a great receiver), Jeudy and Raegor. 2021 did have this top tier, got 5 first round receivers (which is what we may see here) + 5 second round receivers (which is what we may see here), and after those first three guys, the next two receivers taken were Toney and Bateman. 5 receivers were taken in the second round were all busts. 

2022 had 6 first round receivers plus 7 second round receivers and I'd prefer to give up a first and get Aiyuk back than 10 out of those 13 (Wilson, Olave, and maybe London being the exception).

There's just more gamble to the rookie receiver route. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree that I'd generally prefer to just take a shot on the rookie class because the upside of the contract value is so huge, but I think there's always a market for reasonable stability (aiyuk isn't a 100% guaranteed return, but the percentage of likelihood that he gives you what you expect is substantially higher than that of a rookie) in the received asset, especially for teams that employ guys who may not be long for their job if they don't turn it around. 

If a first is given up for Aiyuk, that team isn't passing on a special receiver prospect. The second tier of this receiver class isn't  much different than other years except that maybe you can say it's larger,  which doesn't have anything to do with a specific receiver prospect. 

One route provides you with likely more stability and certainty as well as possibly a greater immediate performance (important if you're on the hot seat and may need things to go off immediately....take Jacksonville for example) and the other is a higher variance route. 

Why pay AJ Brown when you can draft Treylon Burks in a good receiver class.  But sometimes you can get Justin Jefferson. I think so much of this is situational

The 2020 WR class didn't have the top tier that this class has, but it's likely that it will have more first round picks and that second tier was pretty good as well. That still produced Ruggs (take out the accident and I'm not still not sure he was tracking to be a great receiver), Jeudy and Raegor. 2021 did have this top tier, got 5 first round receivers (which is what we may see here) + 5 second round receivers (which is what we may see here), and after those first three guys, the next two receivers taken were Toney and Bateman. 5 receivers were taken in the second round were all busts. 

2022 had 6 first round receivers plus 7 second round receivers and I'd prefer to give up a first and get Aiyuk back than 10 out of those 13 (Wilson, Olave, and maybe London being the exception).

There's just more gamble to the rookie receiver route. 

Yeah, but the team trading for Aiyuk almost certainly would need to have a QB on a rookie deal or what you see in Pittsburgh. I don't disagree that trading for a proven WR can be better, I just don't see a team in this draft class doing that. Every rookie drafted is a risk but that's why the FO gets paid the big bucks. Would you pay someone like Franklin or Thomas Jr for five years on a rookie deal or would those teams pay Aiyuk 26-28M for five years? 

It's an interesting debate but I just don't see Aiyuk being moved, especially with Purdy on a cheap deal for at least another season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, but the team trading for Aiyuk almost certainly would need to have a QB on a rookie deal or what you see in Pittsburgh. I don't disagree that trading for a proven WR can be better, I just don't see a team in this draft class doing that. Every rookie drafted is a risk but that's why the FO gets paid the big bucks. Would you pay someone like Franklin or Thomas Jr for five years on a rookie deal or would those teams pay Aiyuk 26-28M for five years? 

It's an interesting debate but I just don't see Aiyuk being moved, especially with Purdy on a cheap deal for at least another season. 

I rather give Aiyuk what he wants & deserves, you can't take away the teams best WR away from Brock, they have clear chemistry on the field, BA is always open, he needs more targets, if he did, he'd have way more yards & TDs, and IMO he's worth a 1 & 3, but I wouldn't deal him at all, there's no issue paying BA, Brock, Mooney, & even Dre, but guys like Banks, Jauan, DMo, & Hufanga might be too expensive to retain in 2025.

And I don't expect Deebo traded or cut next year, no one on the team does what Deebo does, sure CMC can, but that would mean he'd be doing more than he's already doing, IMO Deebo is 1/1, a true Unicorn, no one else in the NFL like him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I rather give Aiyuk what he wants & deserves, you can't take away the teams best WR away from Brock, they have clear chemistry on the field, BA is always open, he needs more targets, if he did, he'd have way more yards & TDs, and IMO he's worth a 1 & 3, but I wouldn't deal him at all, there's no issue paying BA, Brock, Mooney, & even Dre, but guys like Banks, Jauan, DMo, & Hufanga might be too expensive to retain in 2025.

And I don't expect Deebo traded or cut next year, no one on the team does what Deebo does, sure CMC can, but that would mean he'd be doing more than he's already doing, IMO Deebo is 1/1, a true Unicorn, no one else in the NFL like him.

For me the main thing with Aiyuk is while he is clear the best WR(traditional) we have i am not sure the role he plays in this offense and for this team is worth the price it might get to keep him. So yeah we can pay him but i am sure we can't have a lesser paid WR and putting that money in say Hufanga and Banks. Thats where for me the problem with paying WR top money. The production from that position will always be dependant on other pieces and sure someone that can get open more is worth more but i just can't justify a roster construction with both Deebo and Aiyuk on 20 mil+ salaries and if i had to choose i would always stick with the unicorn in Deebo.