2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

9 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Last year Hubbard PFF blocking grade was 40th out of 89 tackles.

McKivitz was 69th out of 89 last year

i like it, competition 

Sounds like a really good signing. Better than using a 4th or third rounder on a tackle imo

• Like 1

I was listening to Candlestick Chronicles and they were talking about the 2022 draft. 

It definitely won't happen, but if every player besides Purdy from this draft class was gone by the end of camp this year, would they even be missed? It would be shocking only because it's unusual to cut nearly an entire draft class in a single off season, but on an individual basis if you said, "Drake Jackson isn't going to make the team" or "Samuel Womack isn't going to make the team" it wouldn't be the craziest statement 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was listening to Candlestick Chronicles and they were talking about the 2022 draft. 

It definitely won't happen, but if every player besides Purdy from this draft class was gone by the end of camp this year, would they even be missed? It would be shocking only because it's unusual to cut nearly an entire draft class in a single off season, but on an individual basis if you said, "Drake Jackson isn't going to make the team" or "Samuel Womack isn't going to make the team" it wouldn't be the craziest statement 

Womack & Mason are on my list of guys who should be getting more opportunities. It seems like they play well whenever they're called upon. Besides them & Purdy, i'm not expecting anyone else from the 2022 draft/UDFA to make the 53. 

I think our CB room ends up being Mooney/Lenoir/Green/Luter/Womack/Ya-Sin. Yiadom/Thomas get cut 

8 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Womack & Mason are on my list of guys who should be getting more opportunities. It seems like they play well whenever they're called upon. Besides them & Purdy, i'm not expecting anyone else from the 2022 draft/UDFA to make the 53. 

I think our CB room ends up being Mooney/Lenoir/Green/Luter/Womack/Ya-Sin. Yiadom/Thomas get cut 

Womack is clearly in the doghouse. Went in his rookie year and never got out. He got benched his second game of his rookie year and has barely seen a snap since. He played 70 defensive snaps last year and 44 of them were against the Rams when we rested starters. I feel like the team has clearly made it known where he stands by drafting a guy and signing two others. He really has to bring it this camp. 

I'd be surprised if Yiadom isn't on the roster given he was the first guy at the position we targeted. I think there would have to be a clear advantage by Rock Ya Sin there even if the latter is a bigger name. I think the last spot is going to be between Ya-Sin and Womack. My hope is that Womack can beat him out though because he's under contract for 2025 lol. I do agree that Thomas gets cut though. I'm hopeful we can trade him for a pick swap. 

I am extremely worried about Jordan Mason's spot on this team, but honestly, I can see that position play out any which way to be honest. He's a bad pass protector and they brough in a guy who is basically known as a pass protecting back in patrick taylor. But Mitchell can't freaking stay healthy, so maybe he's the guy that should go. Seems unlikely Guerendo won't make the roster....but maybe he's bad enough to go the Joe Williams / Latu rookie year. That wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Womack is clearly in the doghouse. Went in his rookie year and never got out. He got benched his second game of his rookie year and has barely seen a snap since. He played 70 defensive snaps last year and 44 of them were against the Rams when we rested starters. I feel like the team has clearly made it known where he stands by drafting a guy and signing two others. He really has to bring it this camp. 

I think ultimately, the tackling issues are just too much for him to overcome. He might not have an NFL body. Very unfortunate because he does seem like he is good at football, just is lacking in one very important area. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I am extremely worried about Jordan Mason's spot on this team, but honestly, I can see that position play out any which way to be honest. He's a bad pass protector and they brough in a guy who is basically known as a pass protecting back in patrick taylor. But Mitchell can't freaking stay healthy, so maybe he's the guy that should go. Seems unlikely Guerendo won't make the roster....but maybe he's bad enough to go the Joe Williams / Latu rookie year. That wouldn't surprise me. 

I agree that he is probably not going to make the roster, but I think he is a pretty solid RB overall, and if he is better suited with the ball in his hands/running routes, then I would like to not ask a spoon to do a knife's job. If you want someone in pass pro back there, use Juice!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I think Yiadom is a lock.  He was actually legitimately good last year for a pretty long stretch.  Their DBs are actually looking pretty stacked. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Forge said:

What worries me about Mason is he's gonna go somewhere else and dominate.  Guy is a fantastic runner.  No idea what Turner and Kyle are doing with his usage.  There must be something behind the scenes we don't know about.  If Dallas got him that would suck.  Have no idea why we don't at least use him on short yardage..instead we pound 200 lb CMC into a bunch of mammoths, makes no damn sense. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

5 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

What worries me about Mason is he's gonna go somewhere else and dominate.  Guy is a fantastic runner.  No idea what Turner and Kyle are doing with his usage.  There must be something behind the scenes we don't know about.  If Dallas got him that would suck.  Have no idea why we don't at least use him on short yardage..instead we pound 200 lb CMC into a bunch of mammoths, makes no damn sense. 

When has any RB gone somewhere else and "dominated"? 

Name one time where Kyle Shanahan, in his entire career, has let a backup RB leave and they've gone on to be more productive. 

I doubt it's ever happened.

46 minutes ago, N4L said:

When has any RB gone somewhere else and "dominated"? 

Name one time where Kyle Shanahan, in his entire career, has let a backup RB leave and they've gone on to be more productive. 

I doubt it's ever happened.

It's a good point, I just see a lot of potential in Mason.  

On 4/29/2024 at 1:17 PM, N4L said:

want "best shape of his life" Deebo showing up to camp. Give me an off-season work out pic that turns heads.

• Like 1

After looking at my next year roster prediction given the contract situations, you can really see what the team was looking at the draft to specifically replace. I think that Aaron Banks is gone (replaced by Puni). And we're really counting on Renardo Green to step up as the boundary corner as Charvarius Ward moves on. Ditto for Mustapha and Hufanga. The team tends to draft a year ahead of time and later than you'd expect to fill future starter needs that aren't in what they consider to be the critical path. Biggest roster question for me is at weakside linebacker where we almost certainly won't be paying Greenlaw.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JIllg said:

After looking at my next year roster prediction given the contract situations, you can really see what the team was looking at the draft to specifically replace. I think that Aaron Banks is gone (replaced by Puni). And we're really counting on Renardo Green to step up as the boundary corner as Charvarius Ward moves on. Ditto for Mustapha and Hufanga. The team tends to draft a year ahead of time and later than you'd expect to fill future starter needs that aren't in what they consider to be the critical path. Biggest roster question for me is at weakside linebacker where we almost certainly won't be paying Greenlaw.

I thought the same thing - the first four picks all seemed like early prep for next year's losses more than anything. In a perfect world where our top 4 picks all develop, we don't necessarily skip a beat next year. I bet next year's draft is similarly handled as well. I'd bet on OL (OT for Trent most likely), LB, TE, DT as the top targets.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JIllg said:

I DO NOT want to see Ward move on, that guy is just so damn good...Plus he's not even 30.  Maybe they can keep him and let DMO walk ? 

1 minute ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I DO NOT want to see Ward move on, that guy is just so damn good...Plus he's not even 30.  Maybe they can keep him and let DMO walk ? 

I mean he just turned 28 years old today so if he gets another deal here, it will take him in his 30s. Not a killer but DMo is younger and ascending and will likely be a bit cheaper. We just drafted a pure press corner in Green and drafted Luter last season. Better chance we choose DMo over Ward. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Agree with the sentiment. Rather would have Ward than a bunch of the D Line types we signed this year on 2 year contracts. Neither corner is currently under contract for next year (though folks can feel free to contradict my overthecap sleuthing lol), but I'd bet that DMO is the guy that they keep on the relative cheap.

Edited by JIllg