2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I do feel for vets because this is hardly a niners exclusive thing. 

I feel for anyone who’s not quite as good as they think they are. The mind won’t let you believe you just didn’t earn the job. It’s much more palpable to think you got screwed. We’ve all been there. Years later you realize you didn’t get screwed. You just weren’t good enough. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I feel for anyone who’s not quite as good as they think they are. The mind won’t let you believe you just didn’t earn the job. It’s much more palpable to think you got screwed. We’ve all been there. Years later you realize you didn’t get screwed. You just weren’t good enough. 

I mean you can absolutely be better than someone and just not have it be by a significant enough margin to justify the higher pay. 

If you're a wr5 who is mostly a special teams guy, yeah, I'm going to take the 6th round guy or udfa as opposed to the 8 year vet. Draft capital can absolutely play a role in whether you stick around. I'd wager Willie snead probably is a better receiver than Danny Gray right now lol.

It's definitely not just about if you're the better player. This is true for all teams and for businesses outside of football. Always have to be mindful of younger, cheaper options

Whether that happened here or not, I don't know but it's certainly not something that would be atypical 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Jeremy Fowler said that a couple of hours before day 2 of the draft, the team decided not to trade Deebo. 

Wow. Did he say what was on the table?

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

Wow. Did he say what was on the table?

Don't think there was an offer. I think they just decided not to move him. 

If you believe pretty ricky from earlier, the best offer that they got was a 4th, so I imagine that any offers that may have come in probably weren't much better

On 5/3/2024 at 4:22 PM, WhyAmIHere said:

This begs the question, are we sure Chris Foerster is really that good?  I haven't really seen a ton of development on the OL. 

This is a fair question and one I've considered myself. The flip side is he hasn't had a lot of tools in the shed. He started off with fourth-year Mike McGlinchey and second year Colton McKivitz (and vets that were developed). McKivitz went from a 5th round pick to a replaceable starter, but I think most would be okay with him as the swing tackle. Then in the drafts, we've only given him Aaron Banks (2nd), Jaylon Moore (5th), Spencer Burford (4th), and Nick Zakelj (6th) to develop, along with a handful of bargain basement free agents. That's one guy who will be a passable starter for a while in the league (Banks), a decent swing tackle (McKivitz), a guy who will be, but probably shouldn't be a swing tackle (Moore), bottom of the roster depth for a few years (Burford), and a guy whose name should at least be less difficult to spell for being lucky enough to still have a 53-man salary (Zajakeekel).

So, I'm torn between thinking maybe one of those guys should be a star or having a couple solid starters at least - and maybe thinking he's actually done a remarkable job molding the clay he was given. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

This is a fair question and one I've considered myself. The flip side is he hasn't had a lot of tools in the shed. He started off with fourth-year Mike McGlinchey and second year Colton McKivitz (and vets that were developed). McKivitz went from a 5th round pick to a replaceable starter, but I think most would be okay with him as the swing tackle. Then in the drafts, we've only given him Aaron Banks (2nd), Jaylon Moore (5th), Spencer Burford (4th), and Nick Zakelj (6th) to develop, along with a handful of bargain basement free agents. That's one guy who will be a passable starter for a while in the league (Banks), a decent swing tackle (McKivitz), a guy who will be, but probably shouldn't be a swing tackle (Moore), bottom of the roster depth for a few years (Burford), and a guy whose name should at least be less difficult to spell for being lucky enough to still have a 53-man salary (Zajakeekel).

So, I'm torn between thinking maybe one of those guys should be a star or having a couple solid starters at least - and maybe thinking he's actually done a remarkable job molding the clay he was given. 

And the offensive line has been a consistently very good run blocking unit. We were third in rushing yards and 4th in yards per attempt last year. This is what Kyle cares about. The whole team has a pure dropback passing fall-off. From the scheme and its awkward hots that make the quarterback find them to the opposite side of pressure to the offensive line making protection calls to the line's run blocking over pass blocking lean to the quarterback to the weapons other than Aiyuk, they are built for situations for where the running game is enough of a threat to affect opponent's coverages and personnel and pass rushing capability. 

I will say....even though he still wasn't good last year, I thought there was massive improvement from Moore at tackle last year. I mean, 2 years ago he couldn't handle Texan backup pass rushers. He played that preseason game and was awful. He'll never be a good run blocker, but I thought he was mostly okay in pass protection last year the same way McKivitz is okay in pass pro lol 

• Like 2

And that is 100% always the return they should have been seeking. You can settle for something slightly lower as part of the negotiation, but the starting point should have been AJ Brown with a floor of like the first Stefon Diggs trade. 

• Like 8

True/False - Pearsall is WR3 to start the season

True/False - Jauan Jennings will be on the roster for week 1

Over/Under - 14.5 sacks for Bosa

Over/Under - 6.5 pro bowlers (alternatives do not count)