2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Mahomes is like Jordan.  Even if he's having a subpar game or not producing...when the game is really close at the end, you can just feel his presence and competitiveness grow and he starts to put all this pressure on everyone on the opposition.  Everyone starts to get tight except for him.  You know he's going to make that 3rd and 15 play when they need it, and when he does it you can't get demoralized or it's over.  Your best bet with that guy is to jump out to a big early lead and hold on for dear life.  Or pressure him to death so that his teammates and oline start  to give up.  

Control the clock, get 5 yds at will in the running game, and hold the ball last on a TD or expiration field goal. 

Focus the entire late game plan around it.  Mahomes gets the ball with 2:45 down by 4.  Blitz everyone on the first few plays.    If he gets a TD, Chiefs +3 with 2+ minutes for our offense to play keep away.  If we get a big defensive play, we get a chance to get two score lead, or kill the clock.

I feel we made 3 or 4 key errors in the superbowl. Not blitzing early in the drives late, not using the clock late in regulation or going for the TD in overtime.  I haven't rewatched it yet to confirm or challenge my fellings about it though. 

It was the opposite death of Detroit the previous week.  Knowing when to break a long held tendency can be important in key moments. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Control the clock, get 5 yds at will in the running game, and hold the ball last on a TD or expiration field goal. 

Focus the entire late game plan around it.  Mahomes gets the ball with 2:45 down by 4.  Blitz everyone on the first few plays.    If he gets a TD, Chiefs +3 with 2+ minutes for our offense to play keep away.  If we get a big defensive play, we get a chance to get two score lead, or kill the clock.

I feel we made 3 or 4 key errors in the superbowl. Not blitzing early in the drives late, not using the clock late in regulation or going for the TD in overtime.  I haven't rewatched it yet to confirm or challenge my fellings about it though. 

It was the opposite death of Detroit the previous week.  Knowing when to break a long held tendency can be important in key moments. 

So many mistakes in that game. But to me, the Niners lost that game in the first half. They were totally punking their entire team. Greenlaw was a force and they were getting frustrated on the sideline.  Niners gameplan was thrashing them but dudes just kept making BRUTAL mistakes that kept them from having a huge lead. 

Niners came out pummeling them, CMC fumbles, drive dead.  Next drive, the Brock is dominating but Trent keeps screwing up and gets it with two penalties that kill the drive.  They score on those two drives and the score is probably like 16-3 or even 24-3 or something.  Our best dudes and leaders just kept screwing up.  But yeah, just sooooo many damn mistakes..which you can't afford when playing Mahomes (KC can make plenty because they have Mahomes).  

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

So many mistakes in that game. But to me, the Niners lost that game in the first half. They were totally punking their entire team. Greenlaw was a force and they were getting frustrated on the sideline.  Niners gameplan was thrashing them but dudes just kept making BRUTAL mistakes that kept them from having a huge lead. 

Niners came out pummeling them, CMC fumbles, drive dead.  Next drive, the Brock is dominating but Trent keeps screwing up and gets it with two penalties that kill the drive.  They score on those two drives and the score is probably like 16-3 or even 24-3 or something.  Our best dudes and leaders just kept screwing up.  But yeah, just sooooo many damn mistakes..which you can't afford when playing Mahomes (KC can make plenty because they have Mahomes).  

A bigger lead would have been nice, but ultimately, Mahomes always comes back.  Then it gets close at the end, and we have to out execute there and have a better game plan.

Your guess is as good as mine though as to what could happened. 

• Like 1

We brought in another TE. This time from the Arena league, Cade Brewer. 

I honestly wonder if we are going to bring in another Tackle. McDermott just got released from NE and he’s played RT. 

16 hours ago, JIllg said:

Man, I struggle to get the Chiefs data. They have yet to have a team that has yet to have a +150 point differential with Mahomes (arbitrary cutoff, but one that has tended to separate championship caliber teams). We’ve had three in that time. They aren’t EPA / play darlings, either. Common discourse would suggest “Patrick Mahomes go brrr…” but the real upgrade to their postseason performances has often been the defenses. And they seem to hit just the right shades of luck. Everything my eyes say is that they are always the favorite and everything about every underlying metric suggests that more that they’ve been a very good team that has also been outrageously fortunate. Maybe it’s coaching or players, maybe it’s just a hot streak for a great team - we’ve seen the Pats look impossible to stop in the postseason, then eminently stoppable for a decade, then impossible to stop for five years again.

One of the biggest things in Mahomie's favor is his insane injury luck. Absolutely no season ending injuries ever. Brock has already had one. Not that I wish anyone hurt, but it is hardly fair...but since when is anything truly "fair"?

Posted (edited)

Interesting tidbit there about grades. I wonder how many teams request transcripts. Never occured to me it would be a data point, although I've often said we do target smart players.

We have a pretty intelligent team. We seem to have only a small handful of players who make mental mistakes or get penalized a lot. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

Barring injuries, I wonder if John/Kyle know if Trent wants to play in 2025 or will he retire after next year. We usually draft for the future and the fact that we only were interested in one OT and when it didn’t happen, we still didn’t take one later.

I imagine when we win the Lombardi this year (finally) he could retire, but food for thought. 

Some guys signed 1 year contracts this year, so could be available next year. Doubt any young guys get traded. 

15 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Barring injuries, I wonder if John/Kyle know if Trent wants to play in 2025 or will he retire after next year. We usually draft for the future and the fact that we only were interested in one OT and when it didn’t happen, we still didn’t take one later.

I imagine when we win the Lombardi this year (finally) he could retire, but food for thought. 

Some guys signed 1 year contracts this year, so could be available next year. Doubt any young guys get traded. 

Trent said he wanted to break the Pro Bowl record for OTs and would be playing for two more years minimum. So, there is that. 

Cannot say goodbye to the Silverback Sooner yet!

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Trent said he wanted to break the Pro Bowl record for OTs and would be playing for two more years minimum. So, there is that. 

Cannot say goodbye to the Silverback Sooner yet!

Two more years minimum would be a huge win for us in buying time to locate and train replacements and would take us right up to the Brock extension kicking in where we'll be more financially constrained. 

7 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Two more years minimum would be a huge win for us in buying time to locate and train replacements and would take us right up to the Brock extension kicking in where we'll be more financially constrained. 

Playing two more years and essentially finishing up his contract would be something I never expected to happen....but would obviously be ecstatic for. I think our best bet is to sign one in free agency or trade for one. Kind of like what the Chiefs and Bengals have been doing. Chiefs and Bengals took a OL early in the draft this year but they have been just mainly signing free agents to good deals. 

Drafting one is extremely difficult since the good ones are likely to be gone by the 15th pick. Definitely something we need to address next offseason.