2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

I hate to sound pessimistic but does anyone else feel not as confident going into this season?

Brock looks solid, but yeah, everything else looks like it kinda sucks.  Trent is coming in late, Aiyuk is well...yeah, the rest of the line is Puni, injured, or not very good.  McKivitz is one of the more solid players on this line, and that is scary.

The D line doesn't have much depth.  The corners were really good, but Ambry Thomas beat out two players I liked a lot.  

It doesn't look like we added anything from Dwelly/Woerner last year.  Willis couldn't get seperation and wasn't good enough at blocking to make up for it.  Saubert is out, I thought he was a strong blocker, but I didn't break down the group a lot. 

The two RB's are good, but the line is not great at run blocking.  Especially with Banks injured or playing poorly.  Once again, outside of Trent, McKivitz might be our second best run blocker, and that isn't great.  Puni is still developing that part of his game, but I think he's make strides very quickly.  

There are certain bright spots.  I like the turnover at defensive coaching staff.  I like this rookie class as well, but it just feels like a steep hill this year. 

That being said, I still feel the 9ers have the 2nd best Roster in the NFC.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Brock looks solid, but yeah, everything else looks like it kinda sucks.  Trent is coming in late, Aiyuk is well...yeah, the rest of the line is Puni, injured, or not very good.  McKivitz is one of the more solid players on this line, and that is scary.

The D line doesn't have much depth.  The corners were really good, but Ambry Thomas beat out two players I liked a lot.  

It doesn't look like we added anything from Dwelly/Woerner last year.  Willis couldn't get seperation and wasn't good enough at blocking to make up for it.  Saubert is out, I thought he was a strong blocker, but I didn't break down the group a lot. 

The two RB's are good, but the line is not great at run blocking.  Especially with Banks injured or playing poorly.  Once again, outside of Trent, McKivitz might be our second best run blocker, and that isn't great.  Puni is still developing that part of his game, but I think he's make strides very quickly.  

There are certain bright spots.  I like the turnover at defensive coaching staff.  I like this rookie class as well, but it just feels like a steep hill this year. 

That being said, I still feel the 9ers have the 2nd best Roster in the NFC.

Add that the coverage unit could be quite good. Green and Yiadom are way better than our third corners last year. Luter better than the depth. We'll miss Dre, that's a big minus. Brown will be more of a roller coaster than Gipson but will definitely make a lot of impactful plays. But as a whole I think that group is gonna be really good. 

And I think the moving back towards more complex pressure packages with our old stunts rather than quite so many one on ones will be a big plus. We were an average DVOA defense last year in spite of massive spending and a history of being really good. I think we'll improve on that. 

Offense is gonna be janky, though. Gotta get at least Trent in the building. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

I hate to sound pessimistic but does anyone else feel not as confident going into this season?

Hard to be as confident as I felt last year. I felt like if that team didn't make the super bowl, it was going to be a disappointment. It was pretty clearly the best roster in the NFC. You don't get many years like that. The league doesn't allow for it. 

We've had a pretty long and strong run by NFL standards the last five years.  Just a shame they didn't win one. Without an all time great level QB, it's pretty hard to be as good as this team has been for as long as it has been, tbh. Especially when considering 4 NFC championship games. Really a testament to how good the roster has been. And it's still a really good team and roster but it's definitely closer to the end of it's life cycle than the start. With a little luck they can still win it all, probably just needs a little more luck than we needed last year and maybe the year before.  The NFC is definitely a lot more jumbled now

We were a very healthy team for the most part last year and I'd be surprised if that repeats. And there's going to be some built in regression offensively this year, I think. Even if we get Aiyuk and Trent back. That offense was crazy good last year lol. But unless Trent and Aiyuk miss the entire year, kind of hard to see this team not win at least 10 games and likely 11. But consistently winning 2-3 games in the post season in a one and done format is really tough. Statistically, it's just going to be difficult to repeat that year after year 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JIllg said:

Add that the coverage unit could be quite good. Green and Yiadom are way better than our third corners last year. Luter better than the depth. We'll miss Dre, that's a big minus. Brown will be more of a roller coaster than Gipson but will definitely make a lot of impactful plays. But as a whole I think that group is gonna be really good. 

And I think the moving back towards more complex pressure packages with our old stunts rather than quite so many one on ones will be a big plus. We were an average DVOA defense last year in spite of massive spending and a history of being really good. I think we'll improve on that. 

Offense is gonna be janky, though. Gotta get at least Trent in the building. 

I agree with you about the back end and coaching changes.  I really like the guys we have now.  We might actually have the guys to hold up in man zero and man 1 and press coverage.  Dmo at NIckel and guys who can press outside add  another layer or multiplicity that we hadn't had before.  Huf's ability to move fast in every direction helps really sell the fake and make the zones hard to predict.  

I feel like the back end of the Defense and Brock Purdy are better than last year.  I am not as sure about the rest of the guys.  I think Mason's big leap helps the RB room, but CMC was as good as anyone in the NFL last year,  it's hard to improve upon that. 

I don't feel horrible about this year, but I see how things could get derailed quickly.  I can also see how this team could gel and mitigate the weaknesses.  

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Hard to be as confident as I felt last year. I felt like if that team didn't make the super bowl, it was going to be a disappointment. It was pretty clearly the best roster in the NFC. You don't get many years like that. The league doesn't allow for it. 

We've had a pretty long and strong run by NFL standards the last five years.  Just a shame they didn't win one. Without an all time great level QB, it's pretty hard to be as good as this team has been for as long as it has been, tbh. Especially when considering 4 NFC championship games. Really a testament to how good the roster has been. And it's still a really good team and roster but it's definitely closer to the end of it's life cycle than the start. With a little luck they can still win it all, probably just needs a little more luck than we needed last year and maybe the year before.  The NFC is definitely a lot more jumbled now

We were a very healthy team for the most part last year and I'd be surprised if that repeats. And there's going to be some built in regression offensively this year, I think. Even if we get Aiyuk and Trent back. That offense was crazy good last year lol. But unless Trent and Aiyuk miss the entire year, kind of hard to see this team not win at least 10 games and likely 11. But consistently winning 2-3 games in the post season in a one and done format is really tough. Statistically, it's just going to be difficult to repeat that year after year 

I'll say that this team's path to being a championship contender looks more like 2019 than it does last year's team. Really monster defense, high quality but not all time great offense. But I said that about last year's team and its ramshackle cheap offensive line and flash in the pan quarterback coming off elbow surgery. I expected them to really not have a good time against the Steelers week one. And they laid it on that Steelers D. The Jets will have a much, much better coverage unit. If we get ours against it, we'll learn something important. It'll be fascinating to see how Kyle and Brock handle this turbulence. Their ability to provide quality offense in the midst of changing and not ideal circumstances is going to be either the basis for a really promising future or it will be the ceiling on how good we can be when we have to actually pay our quarterback.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

While they didn't make sweeping changes to the OL, Puni seems to be an immediate starter, so at least one spot is improved. Everyone else is coming back, even with the Juice, BA, Trent disputes.. they'll work it out.

On defense, sure we lost AA.. but Young is also gone. Addition by subtraction evens out the shift from subtraction of AA.. and let's be honest, he just can't be trusted to stay healthy. I am excited about this new group of DL coming in for Kocurek to work with. The DBs could be better than 2019 if Huf is back to his old self.. 

This is a very strong team, injury luck could swing things but it will be a good year. We really need them not to play stupid games like trying to break records with CMC.. just win and then worry about that crap next year, who cares 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He side talking Aiyuk there? Lol

100% he is. 

Mike Silver said that Kyle was pretty ticked off by Aiyuk's hold in. I think there is truth to that. 

• Like 1

One of the Ringer's  take purges was that the numbers are just going to crater and finish third in the division. 

Not just niner fans feeling the bad vibes of the team. Just need to get past it