2024 Offseason: The Combine

swede700

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I hope all of the QBs participate during the throwing drills. Williams is probably the only one who shouldn’t, but it would still be fun to see. 

If you attend the combine you should have to do all the drills for your position.  Teams need to know what they are thinking of purchasing. Afterall, I don't buy a car without test driving it...and, dropping by my mechanic to see if it has hidden problems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

If you attend the combine you should have to do all the drills for your position.  Teams need to know what they are thinking of purchasing. Afterall, I don't buy a car without test driving it...and, dropping by my mechanic to see if it has hidden problems.

The drills are some of the least important aspects of what goes on at the combine. They’re fun to watch, and they can make teams rethink initial evaluations from tape, but players potentially have just as much to lose as they do gain from running drills. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

but players potentially have just as much to lose as they do gain from running drills. 

Well, at least those that are considered towards the top of the draft.  I can't imagine that the players generally regarded in the middle or the late part of the draft really have a lot to lose. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, at least those that are considered towards the top of the draft.  I can't imagine that the players generally regarded in the middle or the late part of the draft really have a lot to lose. 

I don’t know, if you’re regarded as a day 3 type player and you perform poorly it might lead you to not getting drafted. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t know, if you’re regarded as a day 3 type player and you perform poorly it might lead you to not getting drafted. 

That's certainly true, but again, I think they'd have to do something egregiously different from what is seen on tape...which doesn't happen all that often.  With the guys in the middle and the back end, I think the only impact can generally be positive because they get to be seen in person.  Unless it's dramatically different, most teams don't really care what the final number is, just that it confirms what they've seen on tape. 

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think they'd have to do something egregiously different from what is seen on tape...which doesn't happen all that often. 

which is exactly what Kwesi said a couple of weeks ago. the team execs at the Combine know these players are drilling with unfamiliar other players in weirdly artificial circumstances. so there's some benefits of doubts given too.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:31 PM, SemperFeist said:

That's better than some team picking a guy in the 5th or 6th who really shouldn't be drafted.