2024 Offseason: The Combine

swede700

35 minutes ago, swede700 said:

gee whiz, his stock dropped (based on teams' confidence in him) so now he decides to prove himself somewhat. gotta commend that change in attitude, but i would have preferred it being there from the beginning.

• Like 2

I don't believe that the combine should have the impact on draft status that it currently does.  Game film is much more important. 

That being said, the combine "might" show some player tendencies that might be problematic. 

For the QBs, I am looking for overall athleticism.  I want a QBOTF who is productive from under center and has great pocket presence. BUT, I also want someone who can make plays with his legs.  Kirk is great as a pocket oriented QB.  But these days teams need someone who can get outside the pocket and extend plays and to tuck it and take off when necessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't believe that the combine should have the impact on draft status that it currently does.  Game film is much more important. 

That being said, the combine "might" show some player tendencies that might be problematic. 

For the QBs, I am looking for overall athleticism.  I want a QBOTF who is productive from under center and has great pocket presence. BUT, I also want someone who can make plays with his legs.  Kirk is great as a pocket oriented QB.  But these days teams need someone who can get outside the pocket and extend plays and to tuck it and take off when necessary. 

I don't think the Combine On-Field performance has much of an impact on draft status, but the interviews certainly do (as well as the medicals). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think the Combine On-Field performance has much of an impact on draft status, but the interviews certainly do (as well as the medicals). 

Exactly. There’s a reason most of the team’s coaches and scouting personnel take a very casual approach to watching the on-field drills. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s a reason most of the team’s coaches and scouting personnel take a very casual approach to watching the on-field drills. 

remember the comments made by Zimmer after watching Manziel's Pro Day on-field drills....?

17 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

The combine helps show athletic traits that on the field play does not always show clearly.  Tristan Wirfs is an example, amazing athlete for his size with great power and a range of athletic ability.  On Iowa he was good but not sure he was ever as great as he has been in the NFL.  The combine helped show his crazy athletic potential and upside and it has more than turned out in the NFL.

Sure some great athletes and prospects never turn out because they do not have the right work habits, attitude, mentality etc.  But the combine is an absolute must, sure it is not everything but it is at least 1/3th of the prospect.  The other two parts being their actual playing skills and then their mentality, work habits, determination and mindset.

But yes at times it is not relevant to on the field play but does give a baseline that is necessary and is great to compare that many guys side by side like that without pads on.  And more often than not a majority of the elite players do participate.  

And for QBs it is great to see them all side by side, and they can showcase things that possibly they were not able to show always in college, example being Josh Allen, wowed at the throwing drills.  Sure had a little of that at Wyoming but not to that degree and look at him now in the NFL doing basically the same things with that rocket arm of his.  

• Like 3

Per the Packers, coach Matt LaFleur will not be attending this week’s Combine in Indianapolis.

He joins Rams coach Sean McVay, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy, Jets coach Robert Saleh (although that might be changing; stay tuned), and presumably 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan (we’re waiting for confirmation on Shanahan) as head coaches skipping the event.

Another head coach said that he regards the Combine as valuable for coaches — far more valuable than the league meetings in late March. The coach called that gathering “the biggest waste of time” and a week full of “propaganda.”

The argument against going to the Combine is that the workouts are filmed and head coaches can participate in prospect interviews virtually. Other coaches want to see and hear the prospects in person.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/matt-lafleur-is-passing-on-the-scouting-combine-too

I completely understand Williams not throwing. When you’re at the top there’s nothing to prove and only one way to go. 

But, unless there’s an injury, I think it’s a mistake for Daniels not to throw. Especially if both McCarthy and Maye are going to throw. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I completely understand Williams not throwing. When you’re at the top there’s nothing to prove and only one way to go. 

But, unless there’s an injury, I think it’s a mistake for Daniels not to throw. Especially if both McCarthy and Maye are going to throw. 

Marvin Harrison Jr. will not be working out at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis this week and another top wide receiver prospect has made the same decision.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Malik Nabers will not run or do other drills during the event. He will meet with teams and take care of other off-field business with an eye on doing his on-field work at LSU’s Pro Day in late March.

While Nabers and Harrison will not work out, former Washington receiver Rome Odunze is slated to go through on-field testing this week.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/malik-nabers-wont-run-do-drills-at-scouting-combine