2018 Salary Cap outlook

navysaintsfan

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

There's going to be a big push for QB's this offseason.

Arizona, New York, New York, Buffalo, (possibly) New Orleans, Houston all need, or will be needing QB's. And about equal FA's coming into play.

Kirk Cousins (will be 30), Sam Bradford (will be 31), Derek Carr (will be 27, interesting), Matt Stafford (will be 30), Jimmy Garappolo (will be 27).

Eli Manning may be out in New York, and Teddy Bridgewater may be out in Minnesota, nobody will want Eli, he's just too old.

Cousins is the marque guy. There's barely 1 good knee between Sam and Teddy, so I don't want either of them.

The following year is even more interesting as Ben Roethlisburger is contemplating retirement, Brees, Brady are getting old, Eli is about done.

We're in for an interesting few years, and it's definitely a "strike while the iron's hot" type scenario.

I'd like to see Derek Carr come to NOLA, but I'm sure the Raiders will franchise him. Same with Jimmy Garappolo and the 9ers.

I think Stafford plugs into this offense well.

I don’t love it, but with this run game, defense and o-line, Stafford could work out really well here

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

There's going to be a big push for QB's this offseason.

Arizona, New York, New York, Buffalo, (possibly) New Orleans, Houston all need, or will be needing QB's. And about equal FA's coming into play.

Kirk Cousins (will be 30), Sam Bradford (will be 31), Derek Carr (will be 27, interesting), Matt Stafford (will be 30), Jimmy Garappolo (will be 27).

Eli Manning may be out in New York, and Teddy Bridgewater may be out in Minnesota, nobody will want Eli, he's just too old.

Cousins is the marque guy. There's barely 1 good knee between Sam and Teddy, so I don't want either of them.

The following year is even more interesting as Ben Roethlisburger is contemplating retirement, Brees, Brady are getting old, Eli is about done.

We're in for an interesting few years, and it's definitely a "strike while the iron's hot" type scenario.

I'd like to see Derek Carr come to NOLA, but I'm sure the Raiders will franchise him. Same with Jimmy Garappolo and the 9ers.

Houston has their QB of the future. Watson.

Best case scenario for the Saints would be the Saints win the Superbowl and Brees retires, which would free the Saints up to move in multiple directions. Even then, as I mentioned in another post, I don't see Brees retiring for at least 1 more year. At least not until he breaks those last few high profile records. Which leaves....

Saints will need to draft an heir apparent, most likely this year, and it's going to take some leverage to move up high enough to do it. :/

15 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah I heard this too, but I’m not sure I buy it. 

I do...

I believe had Loomis had his way he woukd have mived on from Brees already but Tom and Gayle love the guy like a son. He's an untouchable. Brees will have to either suffer a terrible injury, play fall completely off a cliff or retire before this ownership signs off on replacing him.

11 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I do...

I believe had Loomis had his way he woukd have mived on from Brees already but Tom and Gayle love the guy like a son. He's an untouchable. Brees will have to either suffer a terrible injury, play fall completely off a cliff or retire before this ownership signs off on replacing him.

Ehhhh. sounds like rumors and speculations to me. 

Brady and Brees are still winning games and putting butts in seats. You don't move on from that for no reason, at least I've never heard a reason. I think fans like to think there's more drama and backroom dealings than there really are sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Brady and Brees are still winning games and putting butts in seats. You don't move on from that for no reason, at least I've never heard a reason. I think fans like to think there's more drama and backroom dealings than there really are sometimes. 

Sure, but in Brady's case, he will be 41 next year, and almost everyone had high evaluations of Jimmy G.  I really do think BB wanted to move on form Brady and start Jimmy G next year, but he just can't do it.  BB is one of the best at not mixing emotions and business, so it's believable for me. 

In Brees case, there is no heir apparent, so it makes less sense to move on from him.

But regardless of the reason, you just can't get rid of HOF QBs like Brady, Brees, and even Eli is tough to do.  

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I really do think BB wanted to move on form Brady and start Jimmy G next year, but he just can't do it.  BB is one of the best at not mixing emotions and business, so it's believable for me. 

Yeah but he's also having an MVP caliber season still... I don't know if you move on from that, even if you're not mixing emotions. 

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah but he's also having an MVP caliber season still... I don't know if you move on from that, even if you're not mixing emotions. 

Well BB likes to get rid of guys a year too early rather than a year too late.  

Take Favre, 09 to 2010, MVP caliber to completely toast.

BB is either buying into the Brady play til 45 hype, or he can't trade Brady because of PR or ownership reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

BB is either buying into the Brady play til 45 hype, or he can't trade Brady because of PR or ownership reasons. 

Or he's gonna ride brady until his wheels fall off and then retire and figured whatever he could get for garappolo could maybe land him another piece or two while brady can play.

Like I said, it's all speculation. I find it hard to believe coaches are just chomping at the bit to get rid of their superstar QBs. It's just not something that makes sense to me given the industry. 

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Or he's gonna ride brady until his wheels fall off and then retire and figured whatever he could get for garappolo could maybe land him another piece or two while brady can play.

Like I said, it's all speculation. I find it hard to believe coaches are just chomping at the bit to get rid of their superstar QBs. It's just not something that makes sense to me given the industry. 

Well it has happened before, especially when the QB is 40 years old.  Pats were in a good position with Jimmy G.

I'm not saying he was in a rush to get rid of Brady, I'm just saying from a business perspective it made perfect sense to trade what would be a 41 year old Brady, and sign Garoppolo to be the QB of the future.  

The Brees situation is different, there is no QB behind him, so I don't think moving on from him was ever a serious thought.

Of course it's all speculation, but the Brady situation makes sense to me.

I don't know why so many people are itching to get rid of Brees so badly. It's bigger than football, Brees is finishing his career here. It's just like Brady in New England, they had Jimmy G ready to go and they still kept Brady, who btw does not look that much better than Brees right now. We don't even have a Jimmy G in place, if we did it could be a debate like the Pats had but we're keeping Brees, he is bigger than any other Saint in history by a ton. He's a great ambassador for the franchise. He is New Orleans. 

As for the people that understand that Brees is going to stay but disagree with the move, and think it's not what's best for the franchise, then I vehemently disagree. We're not replacing Brees' impact and leadership in one offseason. The guy doesn't look bad at all, he misses a couple more throws than normal but so does Brady. He's older, it happens, he's not throwing ducks out there like Peyton Manning yet. I think the most likely (and best) scenario is we draft a QB this year in the 1st or 2nd round, re-sign Brees to a 2-3 deal that will be the last of his career. 

3 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

I don't know why so many people are itching to get rid of Brees so badly. It's bigger than football, Brees is finishing his career here. It's just like Brady in New England, they had Jimmy G ready to go and they still kept Brady, who btw does not look that much better than Brees right now. We don't even have a Jimmy G in place, if we did it could be a debate like the Pats had but we're keeping Brees, he is bigger than any other Saint in history by a ton. He's a great ambassador for the franchise. He is New Orleans. 

As for the people that understand that Brees is going to stay but disagree with the move, and think it's not what's best for the franchise, then I vehemently disagree. We're not replacing Brees' impact and leadership in one offseason. The guy doesn't look bad at all, he misses a couple more throws than normal but so does Brady. He's older, it happens, he's not throwing ducks out there like Peyton Manning yet. I think the most likely (and best) scenario is we draft a QB this year in the 1st or 2nd round, re-sign Brees to a 2-3 deal that will be the last of his career. 

To be clear, I don't want to move on from Brees and never have.  He gets a bad rap for losing, but unlike every other top QB, his defense was absolute garbage, and sometimes historically bad.  And Special teams always bottom half of the league.  

If we use Brady for comparison, well his defense was garbage the first four games of the year and he went 2-2.  It wasn't until their defense improved that the Pats went on their winning streak, and this narrative that Brady has carried no-names to the superbowl is just false.  Pats have had a top ten scoring defense every superbowl year, and at worst solid offense.  Even in 2011, when Pats defense was ranked 32 in yards, they were ranked 15th in points, and got 34 takeaways. So no, nobody carries garbage to the superbowl, not even the GOAT Tom Brady, and Brees can't be expected to.

And the narrative that Brees is having a down year, is true only by his standards.  It's not a down year by league standards, and he's still one of the top QBs in the league.  And efficiency wise, it's not a down year at all.

That being said, it is true that Brees is past his prime, and it's only going to get worse from here, and we need to start looking for his replacement.  And hopefully we won't go through some bad transition years, but if we do, well then the more spoiled among us will get to see what a truly bad offense looks like.

21 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

There is a reason prominent players like Brees and Brady attach themselves to ownership and vise versa more so than team managment.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

There is a reason prominent players like Brees and Brady attach themselves to ownership and vise versa more so than team managment.

Sounds like Brees is more attached with Sean Payton than Tom Benson to me. It's just Benson would never fire Loomis who is pretty much his right hand man and helps run the Pels too. Benson won't fire Loomis, Loomis won't fire Payton, Payton won't let Brees go. They're all quasi-attached to the hip lol. 

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I expect Strief to be back next year. With our OL...we need him. He’s a great team player and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind contributing however the team asks. 

He won't be back on his current contract.

Archived