Which single-season individual record is most impressive?

MaddHatter

Most Impressive Single-Season Record in the NFL  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which record is most impressive?

• Most touchdowns - 31 by LaDainian Tomlinson
    • Most rushing yards - 2,105 by Eric Dickerson
    • Most rushing touchdowns - 28 by LaDainian Tomlinson
    • Highest Passer Rating - 122.5 by Aaron Rodgers
    • Highest Passing Completion % - 74.44 by Drew Brees
    • Most Passing Yards - 5,477 by Peyton Manning
    • Most Passing Touchdowns - 55 by Peyton Manning
    • Lowest Interception % (16 starts) - 0.335 by Aaron Rodgers
    • Most Yards from Scrimmage - 2,509 by Chris Johnson
    • Most yards gained, total - 2,696 by Darren Sproles
    • Most Interceptions - 14 by "Night Train" Lane
    • Most Kick/Punt Return yards - 2,432 by Michael Lewis
    • Most Kick/Punt Return TDs - 6 by Devin Hester
    • Most Forced Fumbles - 10 by Osi Umenyiora and Charles Tillman
    • Most Sacks - 22.5 by Michael Strahan and TJ Watt

Gotta be Rodgers INT%. To combine that level of passing arrogance with barely any turnovers is insane with how advanced defensive schemes are. I don't know if anybody could match that unless a legit top guy like Burrow or Herbert (2nd lowest INT% all-time with >1800 Attempts) managed to play with an offensive mind like McVay or Shanahan.

Answer to both is Rodgers, IMO. With 17 game seasons + passing being easier than ever, I assume most of the yardage and TD bulk stuff to be broken sooner or later. The old time records like Night Train’s will always be impressive too, but I try and remember what the types of athletes played back then. How different the game was. It’s like Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 when all the opponents are like 6 inches shorter than him. Still amazing, still historic, just doesn’t quite wow me as much as a guy doing it against better competition, in a more advanced era.

Rodgers’ efficiency was insane. I can’t imagine any QB throwing 1-3 INTs off 500-600+ attempts. Just can’t see it happening again. Mahomes is similar in talent to prime Rodgers, and even he can be “had” in ways that Rodgers wasn’t going to in those years. Some would say it was to a detriment, because Aaron wasn’t willing to risk it and was playing maybe a hair too safe, but I doubt we’ll see anyone with that level of fine tuned QB play + that level of conservativeness.

Side note: didn’t realize Brees got one yard short of Peyton’s record, lol. 

Adrian Peterson and Derrick Henry both came close to beating Eric Dickerson's record

Brady and Mahomes both threw for 50 Passing TD's so Peyton's not untouchable especially with 17 games now.

Brady, Mahomes and Brees all threw for 5200+ yards so another Peyton record that's not untouchable.

LT's 31 TD's is maybe the only one that hasn't come close to being touched since he set it.  All the ones who came close were before him with Moss' 23 and Mostert's 21 the only ones with more than 20 to come after him.

Rodgers' Passer Rating record was set in 2011 and he nearly broke his own record again in 2020.  Since 2011 Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Lamar Jackson, Tony Romo, Brock Purdy  and Drew Brees have gotten semi-close with 110+

Rodgers' INT% has only ever been bested by one person who had 200 attempts in a season but didn't start the entire season.  Damon Huard came close with a 0.4% but only started in 10 games.  The 3 lowest INT% in a full 16-game season are all by Rodgers (0.3, 0.7 and 0.8) with Brady (0.8) and Dak Prescott (0.9) both coming close as well as Steve DeBerg holding the previous 16-game record with 0.9 in 1990 (Sam Bradford matched that in 2016 after Brady had re-set it in 2010).

Chris Johnson's YFS record was nearly matched by McCaffrey in 2019 with 2.4k but the only other players since 2009 to come close were Adrian Peterson and DeMarco Murray with 2.3k (Bell hit 2.2k)

Sproles' Total Yards was set in 2011 barely surpassing Derrick Mason's record of 2,690 from 2000 - since then nobody has even come remotely close with Christian McCaffrey's 2,392 being the closest. 

Lane set the INT record in 1952 in only 12 games - since then Lester Hayes (1980) came closest with 13 in 16 games. The closest modern day player would be Trevon Diggs with 11 in 2021.  The fact that we've gone much heavier passing (more opportunities) since the 1950's and we have more games (both increasing attempts/opportunities) it's amazing that nobody has beaten this 70yr old record.  This shouldn't be the hardest one to beat but it seems to be.

Total Return Yards record by Michael Lewis is another one that may never be broken as the NFL has basically made kick returns non-existent.  Josh Cribbs in 2007 came the closest with 2214 and again in 2009 with 1994.  Unlikely we ever see this record be broken short of a major reversal in rules.

Most return TD's is actually Hester twice - 2007 and 2006 - with the rules change, the closest anyone has come was Patrick Peterson in 2011 who matched Hester's PR TD Record with 4 (shared with Rick Upchurch and Jack Christiansen) but he didn't have any KR TDs

The FF Record held my Osi and tied by Tillman of 10 broke the previous record of 9 from 2002 when Leonard Little and Dwight Freeney both did it and then Jason Taylor tied in 2006.  Shaquille Leonard, Chandler Jones, TJ Watt and Marlon Humphrey have all come  close since 2019 with 8 each.  

Most Sacks was originally set by Strahan in 2001 but many don't care for it since Favre "gave him" the record, breaking Mark Gastiineau's previous record.  Since then Justin Houston and Jared Allen both came close with 22 and then TJ Watt tied him with 22.5 in 2021. I  think this one is likely to be beaten as numerous guys have all come  close including DeMarcus Ware, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Jared Allen, and even Shaquil Barrett.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Mox said:

14 picks in 1952 in a 12 game season when the league leading WR only had 62 catches is the most impressive.

That or LT TDs is least likely to be broken.

Considering the greatest CB of the "modern" era (Deion Sanders) - who was so good he would even bait QB's (feign poor coverage knowing his recovery speed well enough to close the gap he was giving up) - never got more than 7, this record is crazy.  Then you had guys like Nnamdi Asomugha who were so good QB's just avoided them all together.  You basically have to be a high Boom-or-Bust CB who gives up a ton of yards/TD's to have a shot (like Diggs) otherwise QB's will just go somewhere else.

Edited by MaddHatter
  • Like 3

Night Train Crazy Record Lane

Adding another old school one in 1951 Norm Van Brocklin threw for 554 yards on 27 completions. It was the first game of the season and most of the rest of the year he split QB time with Bob Waterfield. 

• Like 1

None is more impressive than what Puka did as a rookie considering he was a 5th round pick and the Stafford was supposed be be washed up with the Rams tanking. 

The bar was set high for any rookie receiver to come in and not just break both the receptions and yards in the same season but start as fast as Puka did. Remember his first 3-4 games he was on a ridiculous pace. And he was doing it against playoff teams with really good to great defenses. And he was doing it as the primary receiver bc there was no Kupp. 

LT's touchdown record has aged well. At the time, it seemed like some every-down back (hell LT himself!) would break the record again in the next 2-3 years. But the way the game has changed and the fact that the league doesn't have many true every-down backs anymore makes me think that no one is going to touch his record for the foreseeable future. 

As for the question, probably Rodgers INT%. You can have years when you have a low percentage of turnover worthy throws and still get picked off a ton due to poor luck (Philip Rivers and Eli Manning are good example of this). 

Edited by game3525
  • Like 1

Night Train's is just ridiculous. That being said I think Tillman's 10 FF is almost as ridiculous. He wasn't blindsiding QBs, he was stripping WRs and RBs who were active runners. He is the only person even close to the 40/40 club (2 INTs shy)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, game3525 said:

LT's touchdown record has aged well. At the time, it seemed like some every-down back (hell LT himself!) would break the record again in the next 2-3 years. But the way the game has changed and the fact that the league doesn't have many true every-down backs anymore makes me think that no one is going to touch his record for the foreseeable future. 

As for the question, probably Rodgers INT%. You can have years when you have a low percentage of turnover worthy throws and still get picked off a ton due to poor luck (Philip Rivers and Eli Manning are good example of this). 

The fact that Rodgers has the 3 lowest INT% years in NFL History makes me think he’s not considered high enough amongst the All-Time Greats

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Considering the greatest CB of the "modern" era (Deion Sanders) - who was so good he would even bait QB's (feign poor coverage knowing his recovery speed well enough to close the gap he was giving up) - never got more than 7, this record is crazy.  Then you had guys like Nnamdi Asomugha who were so good QB's just avoided them all together.  You basically have to be a high Boom-or-Bust CB who gives up a ton of yards/TD's to have a shot (like Diggs) otherwise QB's will just go somewhere else.

I disagree. We simply won't see it from a corner. It will have to be a ball hawking safety with incredible speed and instincts to jump routes and make up ground on deep balls QBs think they are throwing into single CB coverage for a jump ball

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

The fact that Rodgers has the 3 lowest INT% years in NFL History makes me think he’s not considered high enough amongst the All-Time Greats

As a guy who broke the Direct TV remote when he went to GB (and the Bears drafted Cedric ******* Benson 😮‍💨) and watched my team get reamed by him for like 15 years,  he is seriously underrated.  He is my favorite offensive prospect of all time,  though that is likely due to how new I was to being an armchair scout. I even loved the stupid left hand dropback when the first few reads were to the left they occasionally did. Lol

Is he a narcissist? Yep.  Is he just a weird jackass overall? 100%  But he is easily a top 10 QB and is someone says top 5 I wouldn't bother to argue. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mox said:

14 picks in 1952 in a 12 game season when the league leading WR only had 62 catches is the most impressive.

That or LT TDs is least likely to be broken.

These are the two I agree with...    14 picks is insane even with 17 games.   LT with the TDs record is one that wont be beaten.  I think Todd Gurley at one point was on pace during one of his impressive seasons but eventually I think he got injured or something.

• Like 1