***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

definitely not better than the original three Star Wars movies.

Im not going to respond to most of that rant because it is almost all really petty and some of which can't be discussed re: forum rules, but you honestly went into these movies thinking it would/should be better than the original trilogy? No wonder you dont like them, you put IMPOSSIBLE standards on them. Not only are the originals some of the best films ever made, but they are held to perhaps unearned heights due to time romanticizing their quality even further. 

TFA can get the repeat criticism, though that was sort of the point. TLJ can’t. They took the movie in completely unexpected directions, which is the main cause of the backlash. So they don’t do anything new and it’s bad. But they do a bunch of unexpected stuff and it’s bad. Ok  cool.

And if your criticism of the new movies is that they are transitioning from the old crew to the new, yeah. Exactly. What did you think was going to happen? Did you think Luke was going to show up and take on the entire First Order with a laser sword? This isn’t Luke’s story. Just like the last one wasn’t Han’s. Just like the next one wasn’t supposed to be Leia’s.

Oh, and Han wanting to be killed off, you realize he’s felt that way since like the first movie, right? Why do you think his endung in ESB is ambiguous? They didn’t know if Ford would return to the role.

2 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

TFA can get the repeat criticism, though that was sort of the point. TLJ can’t. They took the movie in completely unexpected directions, which is the main cause of the backlash. So they don’t do anything new and it’s bad. But they do a bunch of unexpected stuff and it’s bad. Ok  cool.

Just because something is unexpected doesn't make it "Good".  TLJ is not a standalone Star Wars film telling its own story. If it was, I honestly don't believe it would be that bad and pretty damn enjoyable in parts. It was supposed to be a direct sequel to TFA which it woefully failed at. It felt more like the director didn't even watch the previous movie or for that matter any Star Wars movie before directing it. 

It was so full of obvious holes and plot issues that my 7 year old could find them. 

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not going to respond to most of that rant because it is almost all really petty and some of which can't be discussed re: forum rules, but you honestly went into these movies thinking it would/should be better than the original trilogy? No wonder you dont like them, you put IMPOSSIBLE standards on them. Not only are the originals some of the best films ever made, but they are held to perhaps unearned heights due to time romanticizing their quality even further. 

True, maybe I should have an expectation level set to zero when Star Wars movies are created by Disney.  A company which arguably has not made a good movie since Finding Nemo and arguably is only carried along by what they created a long time ago, so with Star Wars it is the exact same concept just different genre.  Does explain the Star Wars origin stories which are flat out an awful idea, but Disney will try anything for a dollar.  

Related image  Related image

Mind you with Science Fiction, one can make up pretty much anything you wish.  You are given the keys to a great Sci Fi franchise, and this is what you create with it?  A lame bad guy, a repetitive story, lack in creativity and the only positive is there was not many completely digital characters but still were some.  One has the first Star Wars movies and it almost goes straight down hill in order as it goes along through history, pretty pathetic.  

V The Empire Strikes Back
IV A New Hope
VI Return of the Jedi
I The Phantom Menace
III Revenge of the Sith
II Attack of the Clones
VII The Force Awakens
VIII The Last Jedi
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Solo: A Star Wars Story

I assume some of your are fans of Blade Runner 2049?  To me obviously, that film is a damn insult to the original Blade Runner and should have never been made.  These new Star Wars are pretty much the same in that regard...  But it is Disney so I should expect nothing less I guess.  No let us make another stupid movie based on a crap comic book, or an old movie franchise...

Pretty great Mark Hamill does not want to be involved anymore in these terrible moves.  Move on and make something original in terms of characters but doubt that will happen.  They will bring Han Solo back from the dead I am sure, or say he fell into a air vent or some crap and was living off space bugs for awhile.

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

V The Empire Strikes Back
IV A New Hope
VI Return of the Jedi
I The Phantom Menace
III Revenge of the Sith
II Attack of the Clones
VII The Force Awakens
VIII The Last Jedi
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Solo: A Star Wars Story

I honestly thought that one was really solid across the board. Took you to some new places, showed some interesting new characters, had a pretty decent story, and tied things up really nicely. Plus it showed the most bad *** version of Vader we saw even if it was for only a few seconds. 

I would put it above any of the new star wars movies and any of the prequels easily. I may even put it ahead of Return of the Jedi. 

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I honestly thought that one was really solid across the board. Took you to some new places, showed some interesting new characters, had a pretty decent story, and tied things up really nicely. Plus it showed the most bad *** version of Vader we saw even if it was for only a few seconds. 

I would put it above any of the new star wars movies and any of the prequels easily. I may even put it ahead of Return of the Jedi. 

It did have some unique characters that did not seem as fake I will give you that, then again they were not in the movie a ton outside of the main character clearly.  Sure could easily put it ahead of The Last Jedi and the Force Awakens I supposed, but I still find that hard to do in an origin story which is what Rogue One is. (Kind of like saying, and the new Back to the Future: A Time Travel Story, telling about what Marty McFly was like as a five year old, just seems like a money grab because it is..  And honestly I would never think, man cannot wait to see Rogue One again and again.  Once ok, and done not sure it has much rewatchability, will see when it comes on TV probably around Christmas.    

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

A company which arguably has not made a good movie since Finding Nemo and arguably is only carried along by what they created a long time ago, so with Star Wars it is the exact same concept just different genre.

Not a fan of any of the MCU flicks? Personally I think Winter Soldier is one of the best action adventure movies in a long time. 

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Does explain the Star Wars origin stories which are flat out an awful idea, but Disney will try anything for a dollar. 

Is there some Disney bias in your opinions? Did you feel this way about Disney as a whole prior to the Star Wars acquisition? 

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Not a fan of any of the MCU flicks? Personally I think Winter Soldier is one of the best action adventure movies in a long time. 

Is there some Disney bias in your opinions? Did you feel this way about Disney as a whole prior to the Star Wars acquisition? 

Bias against what, crap movies?  The Star Wars movies are not branded as Disney and instead Lucasfilms which is a crock so not on this list below.  And yes I kind of felt this way prior to the Star Wars acquisition, the old cartoons carry that franchise because some of those movies were actually good especially for their time unlike most that is made now.  

Here is the list of Disney pictures since 2003 Finding Nemo, the last really good one I feel.  Yeah not a great list, and yes Pirates of the Caribbean especially the remakes almost all sucked.  That is a lot of time and not a lot of great movies or even good for that matter.  Good for a child I guess now a days, but they do not know any better so cannot blame them...  

A Finding Nemo May 30, 2003 Pixar Animation Studios
L Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl July 9, 2003 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
L Freaky Friday August 6, 2003 Gunn Films
A Brother Bear November 1, 2003 Walt Disney Feature Animation
L The Haunted Mansion November 26, 2003 Gunn Films
L The Young Black Stallion December 25, 2003 The Kennedy/Marshall Company
A Teacher's Pet January 16, 2004 Walt Disney Television Animation
L Miracle February 6, 2004  
L Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen February 20, 2004  
A Home on the Range April 2, 2004 Walt Disney Feature Animation
D Sacred Planet April 22, 2004  
L Around the World in 80 Days June 16, 2004 Walden Media, Spanknyce Films, and Mostow/Lieberman Productions
D America's Heart and Soul July 2, 2004 Blacklight Films
L The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement August 11, 2004 Shondaland and Martin Chase Productions
A The Incredibles November 5, 2004 Pixar Animation Studios
L National Treasure November 19, 2004 Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Junction Entertainment and Saturn Films
D Aliens of the Deep January 28, 2005 Walden Media and Earthship Productions
A Pooh's Heffalump Movie February 11, 2005 DisneyToon Studios
L The Pacifier March 4, 2005 Spyglass Entertainment and Offspring Entertainment
L Ice Princess March 18, 2005 Bridget Johnson Films & Skate Away Productions
L Herbie: Fully Loaded June 22, 2005 Robert Simonds Productions
L Sky High July 29, 2005 Gunn Films
A Valiant August 19, 2005 Vanguard Animation and Odyssey Entertainment
L The Greatest Game Ever Played September 30, 2005 Fairway Films
A Chicken Little November 4, 2005 Walt Disney Feature Animation
L The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe December 9, 2005 Walden Media
L Glory Road January 13, 2006 Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Texas Western Productions and Glory Road Productions
D Roving Mars January 27, 2006 The Kennedy/Marshall Company and White Mountain Films
L Eight Below February 17, 2006 Spyglass Entertainment, Mandeville Films and The Kennedy/Marshall Company
L The Shaggy Dog March 10, 2006 Mandeville Films, Robert Simonds Productions, and Boxing Cat Films
A The Wild April 14, 2006 C.O.R.E. Feature Animation, Hoytyboy Pictures, Sir Zip Productions and Contrafilm
A Cars June 9, 2006 Pixar Animation Studios
L Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest July 7, 2006 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
L Invincible August 25, 2006 Mayhem Pictures
A The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D TNBC October 27, 2006 Skellington Productions
L The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause November 3, 2006 Outlaw Productions & Boxing Cat Productions
L Bridge to Terabithia February 16, 2007 Summit Entertainment and Walden Media
A Meet the Robinsons March 30, 2007 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End May 25, 2007 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
A Ratatouille June 29, 2007 Pixar Animation Studios
L Underdog August 3, 2007 Spyglass Entertainment, Classic Media and Maverick Films
D The Pixar Story August 28, 2007 Leslie Iwerks Productions
L The Game Plan September 28, 2007  
H Enchanted November 21, 2007 Right Coast Entertainment and Josephson Entertainment
L National Treasure: Book of Secrets December 21, 2007 Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Junction Entertainment and Saturn Films
L Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert February 1, 2008 PACE
L College Road Trip March 7, 2008 Gunn Films
L The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian May 16, 2008 Walden Media
A WALL-E June 27, 2008 Pixar Animation Studios
L Beverly Hills Chihuahua October 3, 2008 Mandeville Films
D Morning Light October 17, 2008  
L High School Musical 3: Senior Year October 24, 2008 Borden and Rosenbush Entertainment
A Roadside Romeo October 24, 2008 Yash Raj Films, Disney India and Disney World Cinema
A Bolt November 21, 2008 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L Bedtime Stories December 25, 2008 Gunn Films, Happy Madison Productions, Offspring Entertainment and Conman & Izzy Productions
L Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience February 27, 2009 Jonas Films
L Race to Witch Mountain March 13, 2009 Gunn Films
L Hannah Montana: The Movie April 10, 2009 It's a Laugh Productions and Millar Gough Ink
N Earth April 22, 2009 Disneynature, BBC Natural History Unit, BBC Worldwide, Discovery Channel and Greenlight Media; originally from 2007
L Trail of the Panda May 8, 2009 Disney World Cinema and Castle Hero Pictures
A Up May 29, 2009 Pixar Animation Studios
L Lilly the Witch: The Dragon and the Magic Book June 12, 2009  
H G-Force July 24, 2009 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
D Walt & El Grupo September 9, 2009 Walt Disney Family Foundation Films and Theodore Thomas Productions
L The Book of Masters October 29, 2009  
A A Christmas Carol November 6, 2009 ImageMovers Digital
L Old Dogs November 25, 2009 Tapestry Films
A The Princess and the Frog December 11, 2009 Walt Disney Animation Studios

2010s

Title U.S.
release date
Co-production
companies
L Alice in Wonderland March 5, 2010 The Zanuck Company, Roth Films and Team Todd
D Waking Sleeping Beauty March 26, 2010 Stone Circle Pictures
N Oceans April 22, 2010 Disneynature, Participant Media, Pathé, Gatetee Films, Canal+, France 2 Cinema and France 3 Cinema
L Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time May 28, 2010 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
A Toy Story 3 June 18, 2010 Pixar Animation Studios
L The Sorcerer's Apprentice July 14, 2010 Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Saturn Films and Broken Road Productions
N The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos September 7, 2010 Disneynature, Kudos Pictures and Natural Light Films
L Secretariat October 8, 2010 Mayhem Pictures
L Do Dooni Chaar October 8, 2010 Planman Motion Pictures, Disney India and Disney World Cinema
A Tangled November 24, 2010 Walt Disney Animation Studios
D The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story November 30, 2010 Crescendo Productions, Red Hour Films and Traveling Light
L Tron: Legacy December 17, 2010 Sean Bailey Productions
L Anaganaga O Dheerudu January 21, 2011 A Bellyful of Dreams Entertainment, Arka Media Works, Disney India and Disney World Cinema
L Lilly the Witch: The Journey to Mandolan February 17, 2011  
A Mars Needs Moms March 11, 2011 ImageMovers Digital
L Zokkomon April 22, 2011 Disney India and Disney World Cinema
N African Cats April 22, 2011 Disneynature
L Prom April 29, 2011  
L Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides May 20, 2011 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
A Cars 2 June 24, 2011 Pixar Animation Studios
A Winnie the Pooh July 15, 2011 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L The Muppets November 23, 2011 Mandeville Films
L John Carter March 9, 2012  
N Chimpanzee April 20, 2012 Disneynature
A Arjun: The Warrior Prince May 25, 2012 Disney India, Disney World Cinema and UTV Motion Pictures
A Brave June 22, 2012 Pixar Animation Studios
L The Odd Life of Timothy Green August 15, 2012 Monsterfoot Productions and Scott Sanders Productions
A Frankenweenie October 5, 2012 Tim Burton Productions
A Wreck-It Ralph November 2, 2012 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L Oz the Great and Powerful March 8, 2013 Roth Films and Curtis-Donen Productions
N Wings of Life April 16, 2013 Disneynature and Blacklight Films
A Monsters University June 21, 2013 Pixar Animation Studios
L The Lone Ranger July 3, 2013 Jerry Bruckheimer Films, Blind Wink and Infinitum Nihil
A Planes August 9, 2013 DisneyToon Studios
A Frozen November 27, 2013 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L Saving Mr. Banks December 13, 2013 BBC Films, Essential Media and Entertainment, Ruby Films and Hopscotch Features
L Muppets Most Wanted March 21, 2014 Mandeville Films
N Bears April 18, 2014 Disneynature
L Million Dollar Arm May 16, 2014 Roth Films and Mayhem Pictures
L Maleficent May 30, 2014 Roth Films
A Planes: Fire & Rescue July 18, 2014 DisneyToon Studios
L Khoobsurat September 19, 2014 UTV Motion Pictures, Disney India and Anil Kapoor Films
L Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day October 10, 2014 21 Laps Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company
A Big Hero 6 November 7, 2014 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L Into the Woods December 25, 2014 Lucamar Productions and Marc Platt Productions
L McFarland, USA February 20, 2015 Mayhem Pictures
L Cinderella March 13, 2015 Genre Films
N Monkey Kingdom April 17, 2015 Disneynature
L Tomorrowland May 22, 2015 A113 Productions
A Inside Out June 19, 2015 Pixar Animation Studios
L ABCD 2 June 19, 2015 UTV Motion Pictures and Disney India
A The Good Dinosaur November 25, 2015 Pixar Animation Studios
L The Finest Hours January 29, 2016 Whitaker Entertainment and Red Hawk Entertainment
A Zootopia March 4, 2016 Walt Disney Animation Studios
H The Jungle Book April 15, 2016 Fairview Entertainment
L Alice Through the Looking Glass May 27, 2016 Roth Films, Team Todd and Tim Burton Productions
A Finding Dory June 17, 2016 Pixar Animation Studios
H The BFG July 1, 2016 Amblin Entertainment, Reliance Entertainment, Walden Media and The Kennedy/Marshall Company
L Pete's Dragon August 12, 2016 Whitaker Entertainment
L Queen of Katwe September 23, 2016 ESPN Films, Cine Mosaic and Mirabai Films
A Moana November 23, 2016 Walt Disney Animation Studios
L Dangal December 21, 2016 Disney India, UTV Motion Pictures and Aamir Khan Productions
L Beauty and the Beast March 17, 2017 Mandeville Films
N Born in China April 21, 2017 Disneynature, Shanghai Media Group and Chuan Films
L Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales May 26, 2017 Jerry Bruckheimer Films
A Cars 3 June 16, 2017 Pixar Animation Studios
L Jagga Jasoos July 14, 2017 Disney India, UTV Motion Pictures, Picture Shuru Entertainment and Ishana Movies
A Coco November 22, 2017 Pixar Animation Studios
L A Wrinkle in Time March 9, 2018 Whitaker Entertainment
A Incredibles 2 June 15, 2018 Pixar Animation Studios

So no real surprise, they are clearly not great at making actually really good movies.  Making money, now that they can do.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It did have some unique characters that did not seem as fake I will give you that, then again they were not in the movie a ton outside of the main character clearly.  Sure could easily put it ahead of The Last Jedi and the Force Awakens I supposed, but I still find that hard to do in an origin story which is what Rogue One is. (Kind of like saying, and the new Back to the Future: A Time Travel Story, telling about what Marty McFly was like as a five year old, just seems like a money grab because it is..  And honestly I would never think, man cannot wait to see Rogue One again and again.  Once ok, and done not sure it has much rewatchability, will see when it comes on TV probably around Christmas.    

Is it the movie though or do you just not like the cash grab of "origin" movies? I honestly thought out of a lot of cash grab origin stories this one was extremely well done. The characters were crass, funny, and complex compared to a lot of star wars fair and the ending was satisfying and original. 

?

“Disney hasn’t made good movies since Finding Nemo”

*Posts list including Pirates (the first one was a ton of fun), The Incredibles, National Treasure (Nic Cage or no, it’s a fun, solid movie), WALL-E, Up (frickin’ Up!?), Toy Story 3 (!?), Wreck-It Ralph, and other awesome kids movies like Frozen, Moana, Brave, Cars, and Coco.

?

Seriously. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but yours is god awful.

4 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

TLJ isn't as original as some people claim IMO. A number of the story beats are very similar to ESB. 

I'm with you there. 

1. Big battle scene in the beginning that the Rebels or resistance lose. 

2. Heroes on the run with some of the empires/first orders best ships in pursuit

3. Luke/Rey on remote planets learning the force from unorthodox masters

4. Luke/Rey both stumble on caves to be pulled to the dark side.

5. After brief training both return to their friends. 

6. Luke/Rey confront Kylo/Vader in a room. 

7. Allies are both betrayed by single individuals they somewhat trusted but didn't. 

8. Allies barely escape beaten and broken but haven't given up. 

9. I know Yoda dies in the beginning of Return of the Jedi but pretty similar to what happens to Luke. 

Archived