Best modern offensive coordinator who never became a head coach?

Here'sJim

On 2/22/2024 at 3:42 PM, NudeTayne said:

Greg Roman in Baltimore 

Honestly this is the name that comes to mind for me as well.

He's taken on a situation and got the absolute most out of a specific type of roster and QB multiple times now.  The question is...what would he actually even be like as a HC?  He's often not even the full-on OC.  I don't know what that says about his all-around ability as a middle-manager and multi-tasker or whatever.  It's also something that has shown to have very little sustainability over time.  It's a quick splash and then grows really stale.  But his name still comes up for me.  Just for how remarkable his ability is, to simplify the game and get the absolute most out of mobile QBs who need to use their legs to streamline their responsibility and reads in the passing game.

I think it's also just entirely plausible at this point, that he's a Vic Fangio type, who is just much better suited to coming in and performing a very specific compartmentalized role in his area of expertise as a Coordinator.  Not everyone is cut out for HC gigs, has the right demeanor or even really the interest in it.  Some guys just like digging into the Xs and Os and nitty gritty of getting the best execution possible out of one side of the ball.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:38 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Jim Bob Cooter. 

Dude had that one year with Stafford and Calvin and was a hot name to watch. 

Never really did squat else.

He was pretty good with the jags pass game coordinator and after he left our pass offense declined.

Also did a solid job this past year with the colts.

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

He was pretty good with the jags pass game coordinator and after he left our pass offense declined.

Also did a solid job this past year with the colts.

Yeah I nean he's not horrible and still only 39. 

But he seems soooo far from a HC spot now, considering his name was thrown around a lot almost a decade ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll never forget when Martz had Kitna and Mike Furrey a converted WR to Safety and back to WR cooking. Never understood why Martz got the boot from the NFL. Guy could cook up a passing offense like no other. Had them boys going braaazy. 

Furrey makes me laugh! Dude had 4 Ints and a 1000 yard season the next.