F.A. Move prior to the NFL Draft

Big T

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

We have a draft thread? 

Anyway, this signing of Williams really signals to me that the pick is going to be offensive line. We still need depth and neither of Moses or Smith are long term options. Getting a top tier guy in there to rotate in and get ready is huge.

Wrs can be gotten a bit later. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a trade down and I do think Bowers is in play.

I'd much prefer a mid round pick on a QB than using a first.

:( Oh man this would be the worse thing to happen is grab a guy who postion is like a 90 plus chance to bust and you use pick 10 over all. SMH That would be a typical dumb jet move. I do think JD is way to smart here and grabs one of the big 3 T and goes with that. I hope Bo Nix is there in round 3. He might just fall. There always is a QB that falls. 

Trade back to grab a 2nd rounder

1st - BPA OL to develop.  Doesn't matter if it's LT, RT or someone like Fautanu who can play G/T

2nd - falling QB OR package pick from next year to get back into 1st for falling QB

3rd - WR to develop into 1B. Polk, Leggette and Tez Walker fit that bill

4th - grab our LB and S

9 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Trade back to grab a 2nd rounder

1st - BPA OL to develop.  Doesn't matter if it's LT, RT or someone like Fautanu who can play G/T

2nd - falling QB OR package pick from next year to get back into 1st for falling QB

3rd - WR to develop into 1B. Polk, Leggette and Tez Walker fit that bill

4th - grab our LB and S

I can get behind this as long as we do not drop too far and miss out on the decent OT's.  Like last year.  Based on the draft value chart, the Jets would need 400 points to get pick 50 (17th pick in rd. 2) which means dropping to 18.  To get pick 40 (7th pick in rd. 2) the Jets need 500 pts by dropping to 21.

Teams needing a QB may very well trade with us to jump Minny assuming they do not trade up and assuming a QB worthy of the pick is still available.  Denver (12),  Raiders (13), Seattle (16), Rams (19), maybe Dal (24)could use a QB.  JD will need to get creative if he does not want to drop to far in round 1 and still get a top 16 pick in round 2.  If Minny trades up to get a QB, we may just kiss the trade down scenario good-bye.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I can get behind this as long as we do not drop too far and miss out on the decent OT's.  Like last year.  Based on the draft value chart, the Jets would need 400 points to get pick 50 (17th pick in rd. 2) which means dropping to 18.  To get pick 40 (7th pick in rd. 2) the Jets need 500 pts by dropping to 21.

Teams needing a QB may very well trade with us to jump Minny assuming they do not trade up and assuming a QB worthy of the pick is still available.  Denver (12),  Raiders (13), Seattle (16), Rams (19), maybe Dal (24)could use a QB.  JD will need to get creative if he does not want to drop to far in round 1 and still get a top 16 pick in round 2.  If Minny trades up to get a QB, we may just kiss the trade down scenario good-bye.

Mims, Barton, Guyton should be available if we drop 17th. 

Everyone fantasizes so much about trading down every offseason, it never happens in the early rounds, I don’t get why it’s so appealing. When was the last time the Jets traded down early in the draft outside of that horrendous addition to the GB trade last year?

Douglas seems to like to trade up, not down. He’s a targeted guy.

I could see us trading up for a Harrison or sitting still and taking BPA which would be OL or Bowers.

Wilson likely gets a 5th year option then a contract in 2026, Harrison wouldnt be getting a big contract till 2029 probably if we got him. def gives you a good way to keep them and not have to do big contracts in the same year.

I reallyb see Bowers happening. its literally a perfect fit to give us another weapon and a blocker for Hall. 

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Everyone fantasizes so much about trading down every offseason, it never happens in the early rounds, I don’t get why it’s so appealing. When was the last time the Jets traded down early in the draft outside of that horrendous addition to the GB trade last year?

Everything depends on the first nine picks in round one, you are right I was always against trading down, but this might work if a team wants to move up 3 or 4 spots to get a player at 10 and gives us a pick in the second round, and we still have a mid-first round pick also. Right now, we are holding all the cards for that spot at tenth overall pick in the draft. If we do pick at ten than 64 players will come off the board before we pick in the third round. The key is who are the players going in the first nine picks.

Edited by doumeyer

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I am not a big trade down guy in the first round only because we will pass on players we should be targeting  and they will then taken just before we pick.  Kind of like Favre, although that was second round.  But this time seems different.  JD has always had a decent amount of top 100 picks.  Not this year.  Between filling a lot of holes in FA and the lack of a SRP, JD may very well try to trade down this year.

Personally, I shun the idea.  Just draft the best OT at 10 and call it a day.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

I am not a big trade down guy in the first round only because we will pass on players we should be targeting  and they will then taken just before we pick.  Kind of like Favre, although that was second round.  But this time seems different.  JD has always had a decent amount of top 100 picks.  Not this year.  Between filling a lot of holes in FA and the lack of a SRP, JD may very well try to trade down this year.

Personally, I shun the idea.  Just draft the best OT at 10 and call it a day.

Nobody is more against trading down than me. Joe Douglas did another great job this year i give him a A+ for his FA pickup, much better than ever though. I still want that second round pick. If a star drops down to ten take him. If a team wants our tenth pick give to them but it is going cost them big time. No matter whatever we do we can't lose. When was the last time we were ever in this great position. All I got to say is HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

When was the last time we were ever in this great position.

Let me think….. last year?  Many thought we were set with Becton, Brown and Tomlinson?  Many thought Davis, Moore and Wilson would light up the scoreboard and Lazard would be a fine WR4. Hall was coming back with Carter.

Then we trade Moore. Ok. Then we miss out on our future starting OT. Hmm. We sign a washed up Cook to play while Hall rehabs. Huh? Then Davis retires.  WTF!  SOJ.

This is why I want to draft an OT at 10. Because they are the Jets. Something inexplicable will happen. Don’t go into the draft thinking we are set at anything. We aren’t.

But what JD has done thus far is comforting. Just don’t believe we are set at anything. Assume the worst and hope for the best. The Jets are the reason Murphy’s Law was written. 

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

Let me think….. last year?  Many thought we were set with Becton, Brown and Tomlinson?  Many thought Davis, Moore and Wilson would light up the scoreboard and Lazard would be a fine WR4. Hall was coming back with Carter.

Then we trade Moore. Ok. Then we miss out on our future starting OT. Hmm. We sign a washed up Cook to play while Hall rehabs. Huh? Then Davis retires.  WTF!  SOJ.

This is why I want to draft an OT at 10. Because they are the Jets. Something inexplicable will happen. Don’t go into the draft thinking we are set at anything. We aren’t.

But what JD has done thus far is comforting. Just don’t believe we are set at anything. Assume the worst and hope for the best. The Jets are the reason Murphy’s Law was written. 

i JUST FEELno matter how we go with the 10 pick in this year draft. I think we will be fine. I am not sure about Rodgers, he 40 years old & coming back from a serious injury, and he is acting like a Waco lately.

Okay, boys and girls, I understand your enthusiasm about the Jets and what they have accomplished during FA. But lets all take a breather, and look at the signings with a caveat. We have AVT who is coming off back to back injury seasons, T. Smith who gets hurt and has an injury history including last year when he missed 4-6 games (not sure of the numbers).

Mike Williams who is coming off an ACL? 

I love the signings, the Jets are lightyears better on the OL and if the OL is able to stay reasonably healthy THEN are the Jets to be looked at as a legitimate contender for the playoffs and beyond.

Aaron Rodgers is 40 years old coming off an injury, and no doubt he can still sling that rock, there are concerns there as well.

The Jets are not in a position to draft a luxury pick, they don't have one. The Jets STILL have to address the OL, and this year is considered the year of the OT/OL never has it been so heavy in talent especially in the first round.

The OL the Jets currently have on the team that are starters are 1 year rentals with the exception of Simpson, AVT, and Tip. 

The fact of the matter is the Jets can still grab a quality WR in round 3 the WR class every year is deep, not so with the OL.

The Jets IMHO, have to take a starting calibre OT in round 1, if they can move back and recoup additional draft capitol then  all the better.

They also have to consider a starting calibre G as well. If the Jets do this then in the event that TS has to miss a few games there is a quality OT to step in the same thought process applies to AVT. If AVT misses 3 years in a row the Jets have to have a quality G who can step right in.

Make no mistake about it, the Jets don't have quality OL as backups. When the OL which was riddled with injuries couldn't hold the fort down, step in and be effective. Just effective, the backups fell on their faces.

The Jets NEED, NEED, to address the OT/G position in a historically deep draft, if not, and injuries pile up and JD grabs a luxury pick, he might as well pack his bags.

We won the SB in FA, it doesn't mean a thing. It just shows us the weak links on our team . Now JD go out and be smart and draft your OL for the future.

12 minutes ago, Big T said:

We won the SB in FA, it doesn't mean a thing. It just shows us the weak links on our team .

Vince Vaughn Negative Town GIF - Vince Vaughn Negative Town Wedding Crashers GIFs

I hear you, though.  I am glad JD addressed the biggest holes on the team with reasonable contracts (except Kinlaw).  Our cap is not handcuffed in coming years unless he keeps adding void years to every contract he writes.  Only Mosley was restructured when he could have done more to free up space hurting us in the future.  He is not behaving like a GM on the hot seat.

Now, if he can just resist drafting anything other than a OT, I will be a happy camper.  I will feel better going into next year with Warren and a FRP rookie on the roster as OT's than having a developmental FRP QB or FRP WR who who will not see that much time this year and we still have Wilson and Williams next year.

• Like 1

OTC doesn't have Mike Williams on yet.  I would expect his contract will hurt Jets' salary cap mostly.

Javon Kinlaw's contact is not that bad, salary cap wise.  Surely, he gets big money but if you want him that bad you make sure of having him aboard. That doesn't stop Jets from signing Williams and Tyron Smith.  I call it a good trade off.