F.A. Move prior to the NFL Draft

Big T

While we don't know what monies the Jets will have to use in F.A., speculation is that they will via restructures and cuts have money in the 60-80 million dollar range.

While the Draft is important for the most obvious reasons how the Jets draft will depend on what is accomplished during the F.A. period. Likewise who we sign in F.A. will determine how far the Jets will go and if we make the playoffs at all.

Who we draft will have a minimal impact on how much the Jets improve on their record for 2024. Even if we manage to grab the top rated T on the board, that lone draft pick will not catapult the Jets into contention for anything.

This is why the F.A. period is so important, as is if J.D. can swing a trade for a particular player at a position of need. I don't for one, want the Jets to sign any OL with an injury history no matter how many pro bowls they have made. Therefore OT like Smith from Dallas is a no go for me. 

But again that doesn't mean we could not sign a top rated player who is in the twilight of his career but has been a top player at his position. Our most glaring need is on the O.L. to be sure. So let's start there.

F.A. I would be okay with, let the money fall where it may. Our current OL really only has 2 guys who are foundational IMHO, AVT and Pittman, so let's go from there. Zeitler and Onwenu would give us a pretty good core going into the Draft add a RT and the Jets are more than respectable on the OL. Sign Magovern as a backup C and cut the dead wood.

Davis would give us a viable deep threat and make the Bills weaker. NOW, should there be a team, depending on how the board falls, that wants to move up, and the Jets could recoup the second round pick lost in the A.R. trade all the better. 

But just those 3 signings, IMHO wise signings gives the Jets another year or two to draft a top G, WR, and T heading into 2025-2027. I also think the Jets have options concerning Huff which I will spare you with now. 

But making these moves will not handcuff the Jets when it comes to the Draft. I think its safe to say the Jets are all in on an OT in the first round, afterward they are not handcuffed and if there is a player they like can move assets to jump the board to get that said player.

G Kevin Zeitler 2 years guaranteed 
5 -7 million per year.
Mike Onwenu RT 4 year 40 million for 4 years 2 years guaranteed 
Gabriel Davis WR 3 years 37 million
15 million guaranteed. 12.5 per year 
DJ Reader DT 3 Year 45 million per
30 million guaranteed.

I have been pumping up DJ Reader all off-season. Could we get him for less than the $30 million guaranteed coming off an Achilles' injury? Either way, I think he is a perfect addition. Nnadi would be cool, too, but because he won back-to-back SBs he might be a more popular free agent. 

I would have zero issues with Zeitler, Onwenu and Davis if those were the three offensive additions. 

I would like two more free agent additions, one a quality backup quarterback and one a safety. I wonder if Darnell Savage makes sense for us? Bringing back Chuck Clark and Ashtyn Davis works for me, too.

Would Flacco have any interest in a reunion, or did he leave on bad terms?

Jets just got increased by 30 million with a 7 million from last season, throw in a few restructures and cuts and the Jets could be hovering around the 110 mil cap space. As for Flacco, I guess a reunion is possible, but I think the Jets may want to go a little younger and faster at the position. But I would't mind having Flacco back.

My post didn't include any of our F.A. like Davis or others, just wanted to focus on the O line and some key pieces like WR and a run stuffer.

Well one shoe has dropped, Tomlinson was perhaps the worse G that played in the NFL last season. So moving on from him was a no brainer, Tomlinson played as well as our backups which was atrocious.

Currently the Jets have AVT coming off of 2 back to back season ending injuries (freaky as they were) and second year pro Tippman at Center. So we have 3 starting  OL positions for the taking. AVT has gone on the record saying he may not be ready going into next season when it starts, which is another wrench thrown into the works.

You can see where this is all going, if at all possible the Jets have to sign 2 plug and play OL via F.A., and not run of the mill kind of players and if need be, be willing to move people along the line to give the A.R. the best  formidable it can.

So lets consider a few scenarios, first move AVT to T and Tippman to G, sign Cushenberry  at C, Zeitler at G and draft a T in round 1.

So AVT-Tipp-Cush-Zeitler and drafted 1st rounder. A better scenario is Drafted T-AVT-Tipp-Zeitler- F.A. T.

Captain Obvious says that the Jets have to come away with 2 FA OL to solidify the OL, and here's a scenario most fans probably don't consider. The Jets signing 2 G in FA and moving AVT over to T then drafting a T.

The reasoning for this is that the IOL F.A. pool is deep and the O.T. F.A. pool is lacking in talent and most are going to over pay for mediocrity.

In what world would anyone want Joe Flacco back on this team? That's a hard pass for me. The dude is OLD. Beyond that though, he is immobile, has zero pocket presence and throws picks like candy. There is virtually zero upside to having that dude in the room. Bring him back as a QB coach if you want him to mentor, not a player. 

Zach Wilson shouldn't be back on this roster and i'd still take him over Joe. 

As for offensive lineman, I think we are looking at some serious issues regardless of who we sign or draft. Our OLine coach is trash. Dude even gets called out as trash by players from his former team. Ideally, Tippman, AVT, and Warren should be able to play somewhere on the line. Mitchell is probably a backup. Warren may be too but I don't think we can realistically hope to clean house there. Draft an LT in the first. AVT at LG to help him out. Tippman at center. RG is where I'd like to start Warren. Sign Tyron Smith or Onwemu to play RT. 

I do hope we can get M.Evans to sign a deal at a below market rate to play with Hall,Wilson and Rodgers but I'm not convinced he'd take it.

16 hours ago, drew39k said:

In what world would anyone want Joe Flacco back on this team? That's a hard pass for me. The dude is OLD. Beyond that though, he is immobile, has zero pocket presence and throws picks like candy. There is virtually zero upside to having that dude in the room. Bring him back as a QB coach if you want him to mentor, not a player. 

Zach Wilson shouldn't be back on this roster and i'd still take him over Joe. 

As for offensive lineman, I think we are looking at some serious issues regardless of who we sign or draft. Our OLine coach is trash. Dude even gets called out as trash by players from his former team. Ideally, Tippman, AVT, and Warren should be able to play somewhere on the line. Mitchell is probably a backup. Warren may be too but I don't think we can realistically hope to clean house there. Draft an LT in the first. AVT at LG to help him out. Tippman at center. RG is where I'd like to start Warren. Sign Tyron Smith or Onwemu to play RT. 

I do hope we can get M.Evans to sign a deal at a below market rate to play with Hall,Wilson and Rodgers but I'm not convinced he'd take it.

Evans has indicated from last season he wants to finish his career where he's at. Word is that Evans is already in contract talks. If the Jets can sign 2 G during FA then draft a T they could have a a near elite line. AVT-G-Tipp-G-drafted T, otherwise we're wasting assets or having to use assets in order to fix the line. Sign Hunt and Zeitler.

38 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

Cushenberry for Center, Tippman to LG, Onenwu for RT, AVT RG and land faushanu or Alt for LT. 

Any particular reason to have cush at c and tipp at lg? 

I'd be happy with this line. Still need to round out the depth though

25 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Tipp was way better at G than C that would be my guess

• Like 1

So, instead of signing a tackle and a guard in free agency, then drafting a tackle in round 1, we probably now need to sign two guards in free agency and draft a tackle. I don't think the O line is going to be addressed in its entirety until training camp. Lots of players will be released post June 1. We may need to get in on that action on top of March free agency and the draft. 

If Vera-Tucker is not going to be ready for training camp, then we probably should not pencil him in anywhere. Typical Jets. Our best O-lineman by a country mile happens to also be the most brittle player on the roster. Fantabulous.

Let's hope Joe Tippmann and Carter Warren can lock down two spots. That would greatly help the cause.

Are there any very expensive, old offensive linemen that teams are likely going to release who might be able to help us? Perhaps we could entice said team to trade us their old, expensive O-lineman for Zach Wilson?

On 2/28/2024 at 4:45 PM, drew39k said:

Tipp graded out better at LG, hes just too tall to be a full time c.

On 2/28/2024 at 8:47 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

So, instead of signing a tackle and a guard in free agency, then drafting a tackle in round 1, we probably now need to sign two guards in free agency and draft a tackle. I don't think the O line is going to be addressed in its entirety until training camp. Lots of players will be released post June 1. We may need to get in on that action on top of March free agency and the draft. 

If Vera-Tucker is not going to be ready for training camp, then we probably should not pencil him in anywhere. Typical Jets. Our best O-lineman by a country mile happens to also be the most brittle player on the roster. Fantabulous.

Let's hope Joe Tippmann and Carter Warren can lock down two spots. That would greatly help the cause.

Are there any very expensive, old offensive linemen that teams are likely going to release who might be able to help us? Perhaps we could entice said team to trade us their old, expensive O-lineman for Zach Wilson?

My best guess is we sign a veteran on a 1 year deal and expect Warren and the vet to battle it out. If they do sign a C and move tippman they can actually revamp the line on a budget. Guys like Cush and Onenwu wont garner massive deals. Not sure Im happy going into the season with a question mark at LT but being able to not have to do anything at #10 would be great. theres so much talent in this draft.

We could trade down and still get a guy like Guyton and maybe land Penix in the second round to groom. 

Nobody has complained, carry on, Moan & groan, about our lousy O line for the past three years than me. However, if there is a chance of us up picking up a top WR in the free agent market this year that would be huge.  Then go 100% for O lineman in this year's first round draft pick and the FA market. I have no idea how much money we will have when it is time for the FA signing period, and I don't think anybody knows yet. With no second round pick in the 2024 draft, and the tenth pick in the third round we will be very luck to draft a top O lineman at that point of time.

Edited by doumeyer

21 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Nobody has complained, carry on, Moan & groan, about our lousy O line for the past three years than me. However, if there is a chance of us up picking up a top WR in the free agent market this year that would be huge.  Then go 100% for O lineman in this year's first round draft pick and the FA market. I have no idea how much money we will have when it is time for the FA signing period, and I don't think anybody knows yet. With no second round pick in the 2024 draft, and the tenth pick in the third round we will be very luck to draft a top O lineman at that point of time.

I agree with you the Jets HAVE TO address the OL in the draft, and hopefully the Jets can still move back and grab one no doubt. Signing a top F.A. WR, I'm all in. At this point a little more than a week until F.A. and until we see how aggressive J.D. is going to be, we're in the dark.

J.D. doesn't have the luxury of sitting back while top G and T are scooped up by other teams, not if he truly wants to make an impact on the OL. J.D. can't afford to grab players from the bargain bin of O.L. in the hopes that he can squeeze a year out of them at the expense of A.R.

J.D. along with W.J. must pull out all the stops, there is no tomorrow for J.D. if he lays an egg with F.A. and the Draft. More than the draft the Jets have to hit it out of the park in F.A. and as much as the Dallas T is concerned "NO THANK YOU" he's on the backend of his career and its a given he's going to get hurt. 

I don't care if he has 13 pro bowl appearances, when guys like this come to the Jets it becomes a disaster, move on from him.