F.A. Move prior to the NFL Draft

Big T

On 3/1/2024 at 7:21 PM, jetfan8178 said:

Tipp graded out better at LG, hes just too tall to be a full time c.

Too tall? Wasn't he drafted to be the future C? Pre/post draft I kept hearing about how he could be a potential franchise center.

It's not really a big deal if he is a guard instead though since I'd prefer a veteran at center since they are supposed to be making line calls.

If you are talking about Tyron Smith, I think we HAVE to look into it. Of course he is old and lately very injury-prone, but that is why he is available. The Duane Brown experiment was not a bad idea. He is very good when healthy. It just did not work because he was never healthy. And Tyron is a massive upgrade over Brown, Becton and anybody else we have put there recently. If we sign someone like Tyron Smith (or even David Bakhtiari), we would still need to draft a LT. That does not change the dynamic. But it might help negotiate a trade down in order to secure a second-round pick in this draft. Then, we could draft a LT in the first round, an OG in the second and our future QB in the third. You can move those pieces around too, depending on who you like and what is available, etc. 

So, our line would look something like this:

Tyron Smith or future LT drafted this year

Vera-Tucker

Tippmann

RG signed as a free agent or OG drafted this year

Carter Warren or future LT drafted this year

Then we can use Schweitzer, Hansen or Newman as a swing interior lineman and Max Mitchell as a backup OT. 

That to me checks a ton of boxes. It keeps Rodgers relatively upright and happy, it provides the depth we lack and it upgrades nearly every position on the O line. 

Strong pass blockers but aging and injury concern to rent out for Aaron Rodgers' sake.

Tyron Smith

Charles Leno (about to have hip surgery this week)

David Bakhtiari (missed a majority part in past 3 years)

13 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Strong pass blockers but aging and injury concern to rent out for Aaron Rodgers' sake.

Tyron Smith

Charles Leno (about to have hip surgery this week)

David Bakhtiari (missed a majority part in past 3 years)

See, the way I see it, Tyron is worth the gamble because he is an all-time great LT. Leno is not worth the gamble because he is only merely good when healthy. Bakhtiari is worth the gamble only because we want Aaron Rodgers to be happy, content, motivated and ready to roll. If he wants Bakhtiari to protect his blind side, who am I to argue?

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

See, the way I see it, Tyron is worth the gamble because he is an all-time great LT. Leno is not worth the gamble because he is only merely good when healthy. Bakhtiari is worth the gamble only because we want Aaron Rodgers to be happy, content, motivated and ready to roll. If he wants Bakhtiari to protect his blind side, who am I to argue?

Whoever accepts cheapest one will be okay with me.

Remember guys most people don't want to come to the Jets. The only thing we have is a great D and Rodgers. No one is coming here because of the coach or anything else unless wee way over pay which happens a lot. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Remember guys most people don't want to come to the Jets. The only thing we have is a great D and Rodgers. No one is coming here because of the coach or anything else unless wee way over pay which happens a lot. 

Money still rules in the NFL, great players who wanted to go to contenders to win a championship never arrived because they were paid millions elsewhere. Our very own Jamal Adams is a prime example of that.

It kinda justifies bringing in former Packers, then. If top free agents avoid the Jets, then Rodgers' former teammates may not. That is why I am looking at Bakhtiari for sure, but also AJ Dillon, Darnell Savage and maybe Valdes-Scantling. Maybe.

This nonsense about us drafting a tight end with the 10th overall pick is so frustrating and annoying. I wish I could say the Jets are not that stupid, but clearly we all know better.

Geez, if Aaron needs more help at tight end just call his buddy Robert Tonyan. Do NOT waste a first round pick on a tight end.

Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht...enough already.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

This nonsense about us drafting a tight end with the 10th overall pick is so frustrating and annoying. I wish I could say the Jets are not that stupid, but clearly we all know better.

Geez, if Aaron needs more help at tight end just call his buddy Robert Tonyan. Do NOT waste a first round pick on a tight end.

Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht...enough already.

It sure is nonsense drafting a TE with our first-round pick. I remember Johnny Mitchell coming out of college as a big time pass catching TE, HE SURE WAS NOT A BIG TIME PASSING CATCHING TE IN THE NFL WITH THE JETS.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Looks like the Jets have stated they have ZERO interest in bringing back Jamal Adams. What do you guys think?

Why would they? He’s a head case who shot his way out of town and he’s terrible.

One Adams is enough. lol

Anyway, I am greatly afraid of Jets being not able to trade Zach Wilson away.

Justin Fields and Mac Jones were taken outside top 10 so their salaries are manageable whilst Wilson being overall #2 makes it difficult for another team to accept the trade without discount. 

• Like 1