Pre-Combine OFFseason MOCK

SLCbear

41 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

And how many of those non first round QBs have blossomed into anything at all, much less a notable starter, especially for the team that drafted them?

Ill take the guy who can actually contribute to the team, not just a "project" to work on. Keep up the fantasy there

Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Brock Purdy, Dak Prescott, Jalen Hurts, Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Jimmy G ....

Maybe Will Levis.   Remains to be seen.  Probably should get rid of him.

47 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

compared to how many?

I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves - if we draft a QB #1 overall would Bagent even want to be here if he has starter aspirations (which he almost surely does)? There’s basically zero chance he ever gets a look here. He’ll get basically no camp reps because Williams will need as many as he can get, he won’t get any in the regular season because the backup almost never does, and he won’t play in the regular season, so where’s he getting the development? I’m guessing his preference would be to catch onto a different roster where he’ll have a puncher’s chance.

Also, rookie QBs are almost always paired up with an experienced veteran not so much to be a capable replacement should the rookie get hurt, but to teach the rookie how to prepare like a professional. In that capacity specifically, I want the team to aim far higher than Bagent. Hell, in that capacity I’d rather have Peterman. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves - if we draft a QB #1 overall would Bagent even want to be here if he has starter aspirations (which he almost surely does)? There’s basically zero chance he ever gets a look here. He’ll get basically no camp reps because Williams will need as many as he can get, he won’t get any in the regular season because the backup almost never does, and he won’t play in the regular season, so where’s he getting the development? I’m guessing his preference would be to catch onto a different roster where he’ll have a puncher’s chance.

Also, rookie QBs are almost always paired up with an experienced veteran not so much to be a capable replacement should the rookie get hurt, but to teach the rookie how to prepare like a professional. In that capacity specifically, I want the team to aim far higher than Bagent. Hell, in that capacity I’d rather have Peterman. 

Bagent doesn’t have a choice he is under contract.  

No team is inviting him to come in and compete for a starting job at this point in any event.   He hasn’t shown enough yet.  He may never.  I am saying based on evidence to date we don’t know for sure what he is or isn’t.   I am not saying that he is a going to be a good NFL QB.  I do think he is a decent NFL back up with upside.  

I am saying have Bagent or a guy like Bagent always on your roster.  Train him up.

If he turns out good that has value in trade capital or as your starter or as a back up.  

Patriots flipped many QBs under Brady and because they found Brady in first place they flipped Bledsoe.  

Because coaching and GM jobs are naturally short lived without early success many teams don’t bother drafting and developing QBs.  They feel like they need other players more rather than taking a longer term view.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

i think he's say would Bagent rather get cut and find another team to potentially compete for something more or would he rather just stay knowing he would be at best a #2 sitting behind "the next guy"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

No team is inviting him to come in and compete for a starting job at this point in any event.   He hasn’t shown enough yet.  He may never.  I am saying based on evidence to date we don’t know for sure what he is or isn’t.   I am not saying that he is a going to be a good NFL QB.  I do think he is a decent NFL back up with upside.  

I am saying have Bagent or a guy like Bagent always on your roster.  Train him up.

If he turns out good that has value in trade capital or as your starter or as a back up.  

Patriots flipped many QBs under Brady and because they found Brady in first place they flipped Bledsoe.  

Because coaching and GM jobs are naturally short lived without early success many teams don’t bother drafting and developing QBs.  They feel like they need other players more rather than taking a longer term view.

Bagent could ask for his release. It happens all the time, and Poles is pretty up front about wanting to do right by guys to help them further their careers. The team is under no obligation to grant it, but at the same time Bagent was also the hand selected pet project guy for the prior OC, and Waldron probably wants to pick his own guy to be a QB3 / PS guy. I am totally on board with having such a guy on the 90 man roster and then the PS during the season. My strong preference would be that it be someone more toolsy than Bagent though. I don’t see him having any real NFL traits. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Bagent could ask for his release. It happens all the time, and Poles is pretty up front about wanting to do right by guys to help them further their careers. The team is under no obligation to grant it, but at the same time Bagent was also the hand selected pet project guy for the prior OC, and Waldron probably wants to pick his own guy to be a QB3 / PS guy. I am totally on board with having such a guy on the 90 man roster and then the PS during the season. My strong preference would be that it be someone more toolsy than Bagent though. I don’t see him having any real NFL traits. 

I am not going to mat for Bagent.  I would keep him if it was me.  He played really well against Raiders.

What happens happens.   I won't lose sleep over it either way.  

On 2/24/2024 at 7:06 PM, sparky151 said:

There's a big falloff at WR after Evans. Maybe instead of paying Evans 30 mil, sign Tyler Boyd or Curtis Samuel plus an early drafted rookie WR.

I endorse adding talent around Williams but not sure Robinson will give you much pass rush at DE. He's a bigger guy who should help vs the run. Geno Stone should be an upgrade from Jackson. 

I'd give serious thought to JPJ at 13. Or take Odunze at 9 if he's available. 

The thing with Odunze is that he will have a career somewhere on a spectrum of Mike Evans to Kevin White, as Draft picks are hardly guarantees 

So why not just get Rome's guaranteed ceiling NOW in Mike Evans. We can easily afford to pay him.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:00 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Returners have so little impact on the current game, just give me a PR who has sure hands and I’m good.

I like Mike Evans (who doesn’t?) but I’m not in any way giving him $26-30M annually entering his age 31 season. Poles is really disciplined when it comes to his FA spending thresholds and has made no secret about everything he’s done being about the long term success of the team - paying Mike Evans top 3 WR money for the tail end of his career would be basically the polar opposite of how he has operated thus far. For $26-30M per you can add quality young starters at WR2, C and S.

I like all the players you have us drafting, and agree Bowers may slide a bit. With that, with the way you’ve set up our roster here he’s basically gonna have to play WR for us all the time and I don’t love that. I don’t think either Taylor makes it to R3 or Van Pran to R4. 

Yes, def not Poles's MO but he has never been in a championship window position until this offseason

We should have been 10-7 WITH JF and Puke Getsy. 

DJ, Mike Evans and Bowers, Kmet inside WiTH Saquon backing it all up (with some OLine additions) is a cheat code for Williams and Waldron ❤️  What will defense 'take away' ?

Signing Evans would be similar to the Peppers signing back in the day.  2 of the best to ever do it at their respective positions, both a little older, which is why they are available in the 1st place. Evans has PLenTy of HOF football left in tank 

Edited by SLCbear

On 2/26/2024 at 7:01 AM, dll2000 said:

Evans is too old and expensive and Tyrod doesn’t bring anything over our current back up who we need to keep developing.

Barkley I wouldn’t hate, but I don’t see it happening. 

Bowers has intrigued me for a longtime.  I think you need a plan for his use if you are drafting him in top 10 as he is possibly a bit of a tweener.  

I am not sure I trust any team outside of KC to come up with that plan. 

Bowers is SPECIAL, has been special for multiple seasons. Caleb and MHjr are the only prospects that are ahead of him. Not hard at all to figure out how to play BB, esp with Kmet on the field and vice versa, those 2 will multiply each other

Sure, Evans is a little older bir this is why he is even available in 1st place. He has at least 3-5 years of HoF football left in the tank. Time for Poles to cash in on all that space he's been creating 

You want to go into the season (yr 1 of championship window imo) with a Rookie and Tyson Bagent ??! I would like to keep TB on the roster, but he cannot be our only backup 

On 2/26/2024 at 10:30 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Whenever we feel like we are truly a playoff contender, we will need a better Backup QB to whoever we decide to go with.

And to go after a guy who our new Rookie QB could actually learn something from alone has a positive to it, before even mentioning the ability to keep the offense going if your starter does go down for more than a play or two where they have to come off the field.

Agree Agree

and  I would say bolded part is noW. We were a 10 win team last year with JF getsy, no #2 wr or TE  ...and no real homerun threat at RB

2 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Bowers is SPECIAL, has been special for multiple seasons. Caleb and MHjr are the only prospects that are ahead of him. Not hard at all to figure out how to play BB, esp with Kmet on the field and vice versa, those 2 will multiply each other

Sure, Evans is a little older bir this is why he is even available in 1st place. He has at least 3-5 years of HoF football left in the tank. Time for Poles to cash in on all that space he's been creating 

You want to go into the season (yr 1 of championship window imo) with a Rookie and Tyson Bagent ??! I would like to keep TB on the roster, but he cannot be our only backup 

I agree on Bowers - BUT he is undersized for a TE.

That limits his use to mainly receiving weapon.  The whole point of TE position is to have a guy who is a mismatch in some way and a problem for defense.  If they go small you run and he blocks.  If they go big you pass.

So if he is ONLY a receiving threat - like Atl uses Pitts.  It doesn't turn into the big advantage you are looking for.  Pitts has not moved needle for them much as basically a WR only.  

Now GA used him as WR, a FB, a slot receiver, a RB.    You need to be ready to do things like that.  A lot of coaches just aren't creative.  They are like this position does this in this play.  Plug and play.   If you want him to line up next to OT and either pass block or set an edge - I don't think he can.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:42 AM, MonserinNC said:

I would love this, Im with you, how long are we going to keep kicking this salary cap down the line. Isnt that the whole point of having a rookie deal Caleb??

The formula is simple, Caleb has a good team through his rookie deal, then we pay him and everyone walks, we build a young team around what will now be a veteran QB

Yep ! use that cap now !! make wise use of Draft picks along the way. 

• Like 1