Pre-Combine OFFseason MOCK

SLCbear

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I agree on Bowers - BUT he is undersized for a TE.

That limits his use to mainly receiving weapon.  The whole point of TE position is to have a guy who is a mismatch in some way and a problem for defense.  If they go small you run and he blocks.  If they go big you pass.

So if he is ONLY a receiving threat - like Atl uses Pitts.  It doesn't turn into the big advantage you are looking for.  Pitts has not moved needle for them much as basically a WR only.  

Now GA used him as WR, a FB, a slot receiver, a RB.    You need to be ready to do things like that.  A lot of coaches just aren't creative.  They are like this position does this in this play.  Plug and play.   If you want him to line up next to OT and either pass block or set an edge - I don't think he can.

Bower absolutely can line up and block ! He also moves and plays like Deebo 

This is why he is so special 

6'4 240, just turned 21 in December ❤️

1 minute ago, SLCbear said:

I have loved Bowers for two years now.  I am definitely not going to hate it if he is a Bear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

Yes, def not Poles's MO but he has never been in a championship window position until this offseason

We should have been 10-7 WITH JF and Puke Getsy. 

DJ, Mike Evans and Bowers, Kmet inside WiTH Saquon backing it all up (with some OLine additions) is a cheat code for Williams and Waldron ❤️  What will defense 'take away' ?

Signing Evans would be similar to the Peppers signing back in the day.  2 of the best to ever do it at their respective positions, both a little older, which is why they are available in the 1st place. Evans has PLenTy of HOF football left in tank 

We disagree that 2024 is a “championship window position” season unless Williams is immediately amazing which, despite the caliber prospect he is, is unlikely.

I like Evans a lot and would be thrilled to add him. I just don’t see Poles breaking from his core philosophy on roster construction for a 31-year old WR in a year in which we’re pretty unlikely to actually be competing for a Super Bowl. Besides, if Evans actually leaves TB (I remain highly skeptical) he’s gonna have a lot of options, many of whom can also pay him at the top of the market and who are closer to being true contenders than we are. Why would he choose us over, say, the Lions or Bengals (both $50+ in cap space) if the money is equal? HOU is closer than we are right now to contending and they have $67M in cap space and a whole lot of targets to go around right now, and Evans is from Galveston which is an hour from Houston. 

• Like 2

Yeah, regardless of which QB the Bears pick, the 2024 season won't end in the Super Bowl. Making the playoffs is very feasible and winning the division is on the table. But winning 1 playoff game looks like the ceiling. If the Bears are adding young talent, the window will stay open longer than if they bring in Evans. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, regardless of which QB the Bears pick, the 2024 season won't end in the Super Bowl. Making the playoffs is very feasible and winning the division is on the table. But winning 1 playoff game looks like the ceiling. If the Bears are adding young talent, the window will stay open longer than if they bring in Evans. 

Especially at the numbers talked about in the OP. $26M+ gets you multiple high end starters. Where we’re at right now, we don’t have starter quality players at WR2, WR3, C, DE2 and S, and have marginal starters at RB, RG and DT, and our LG who’s above average when healthy is a UFA in a year. $26M+ on a 2nd WR1 would be an extreme luxury move IMO. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I know the guy can play football but in the interviews I've seen I can't help but feel that the guy's a few eggs short of a dozen and it makes it real hard for me to want to spend a high pick on him. There's almost definitely going to be a story between now and draft day about how the guy scored something like a 3 on the Wonderlic

Edited by chisoxguy7

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I know the guy can play football but in the interviews I've seen I can't help but feel that the guy's a few eggs short of a dozen and it makes it real hard for me to want to spend a high pick on him. There's almost definitely going to be a story between now and draft day about how the guy scored something like a 3 on the Wonderlic

You ever heard of Gronk? Kittle? Kelce? It is a TE thing 😂

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 3:59 PM, sparky151 said:

we were more or less a 10 win team last year with JF and Getsy. 

If Caleb can give us 75% of what Stroud gave Houston, we already have a top 5 Defense ....with DJ and Evans outside, Kmet and Bowers inside AND Saquon's ELiTE receiving/rushing  ....and then go trenches heavy in Draft, with Punter Taylor somewhere along the way  

I mean why couldn't we contend for NFC ??

Do I expect us to take NFC crown year one, or be a 1 or 2 seed ? No. 

Can I see us making the Playoffs and Williams going into the POs, with a season under his belt, and doing some serious damage with this mock roster ? Yes !

Maybe there will not be a ton of competition for 31 year old Mike Evans and we get him a much lower number. Evans is a sure thing ! Odunze, we don't know, Evans is Romeo's ceiling. Bowers imo is way more of a sure thing than Nabers or Rome, Waldron thrives with TE heavy sets and adding a big vertical (can block) HoF receiver to DJ for young Caleb should do wonders for his development !

Making POs this year, winning a game or 2, or even 3 in the NFC is very possible...and then another offseason and Draft (with all of our picks and Carolina's 2nd) to further strengthen roster around Caleb, looK OUT 

Edited by SLCbear

On 2/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, AZBearsFan said:

We disagree that 2024 is a “championship window position” season unless Williams is immediately amazing which, despite the caliber prospect he is, is unlikely.

I like Evans a lot and would be thrilled to add him. I just don’t see Poles breaking from his core philosophy on roster construction for a 31-year old WR in a year in which we’re pretty unlikely to actually be competing for a Super Bowl. Besides, if Evans actually leaves TB (I remain highly skeptical) he’s gonna have a lot of options, many of whom can also pay him at the top of the market and who are closer to being true contenders than we are. Why would he choose us over, say, the Lions or Bengals (both $50+ in cap space) if the money is equal? HOU is closer than we are right now to contending and they have $67M in cap space and a whole lot of targets to go around right now, and Evans is from Galveston which is an hour from Houston. 

puncher's chance year one ...year 2 true contender

Bengals and Lions are going to give 60-70 % of their cap to a WR ?? We are already better than the Lions ha ha  Houston could be a threat but again, ME is taking too much % of their cap and they have players to resign and holes to fill

....we are a top 5 defense now, before Draft or FA. Evans is perfect for Waldron system and compliments DJ perfectly 

We have PLEntY of Draft capital and Cap to further strengthen the Oline while adding a superstar in Bowers 

I think what Evans will command on open market plus his age, puts us in a very good position to snag him

He would not be a #2 receiver, more of a co-#1

Get the money worked out to where the bulk of the contract is paid over first 2 years, we have Carolina's 2ndRP next Draft for another high-level starter. 

Evans AND DJ, BB and Kmet will do wonders for young Caleb who will most likely be thrown into the fire Week 1 

Edited by SLCbear

On 2/28/2024 at 10:12 AM, chisoxguy7 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7m3wxDTcS4V4VGV-n4vd

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:12 AM, chisoxguy7 said:

my only concern with Bowers is that he doesn't get past Harbaugh at 5 

17 hours ago, SLCbear said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7m3wxDTcS4V4VGV-n4vd

That picture brought back some memories from law school.  

I listened to audio of book the movie was based on (also called Forest Gump) while doing a temp job in between my 2nd and 3rd year of law school.  It was for American Medical Association downtown Chicago.   Shows how old I am.  The job was checking hyperlinks were accurate in a journal they were putting online.  AMA building had the best cafeteria.  Food was better than most restaurants.  

The Forest Gump of book was a big dude.  He didn't look much like Tom Hanks.   Movie was actually one of very few adaptations I have ever seen that is arguably better than the book it is based on.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Houston could be a threat but again, ME is taking too much % of their cap and they have players to resign and holes to fill

How is their situation any different than ours except that they already know they have a legit QB where it’ll be a question for us at least in 2024? We need to add several capable starters too.

Again, I get the argument for bringing in Evans, and we certainly have the means financially. I just don’t see it happening. 

• Like 1