Free agent Frenzy 2024!!

34 minutes ago, GW21 said:

It’d be very on brand for us to go after Saquon tomorrow lol. 

It's a way to find value outside the box.  McCaffrey was too good to take off the field, but played too many plays to actually get to 100%.  I bet the dude still has bruises that haven't healed yet.  The same has been true for Saquon throughout his career.  They are both good all around backs that can play every part in the play action/run game.  It's about the only way to get a fair carry share for either dude.  Having a 1-2 punch like that would be pretty fun.  They have a natural 1st down 3rd down roles while still offering Shanny access to the entire playbook.

We could pay like 20 million (or more) for a WR who can run after the catch, or pay half that (or less) for a RB who can run and catch.   The cheaper player would likely get more touches than the more expensive player.  It seems like a shrewd way to add RAC value to an already stacked skill group.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

6 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

It's a way to find value outside the box.  McCaffrey was too good to take off the field, but played too many plays to actually get to 100%.  I bet the dude still has bruises that haven't healed yet.  The same has been true for Saquon throughout his career.  They are both good all around backs that can play every part in the play action/run game.  It's about the only way to get a fair carry share for either dude.  Having a 1-2 punch like that would be pretty fun.  They have a natural 1st down 3rd down roles while still offering Shanny access to the entire playbook.

We could pay like 20 million (or more) for a WR who can run after the catch, or pay half that (or less) for a RB who can run and catch.   The cheaper player would likely get more touches than the more expensive player.  It seems like a shrewd way to add RAC value to an already stacked skill group.

I don’t disagree with any of this. 

17 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don’t disagree with any of this. 

I think it is going to be a little challenging to warp the offense to Purdy.

We need talent at Tackle.  A really good RT who can take over at LT an be a difference maker.  Brock has great pocket movement, so he can mitigate a lower quality RT.  

The center and RG positions require attention.  We needs starters and talent there, as giving Brock a clean or predictable interior pocket is more important than with other players.  

CMC's ability to run hot routes and choice routes against the blitz and Brocks quick trigger and smart feet were a really cool combo.  So cool, we couldn't get McC off the field.  Barkley (or Pollard) solves that issue.  It's challenging here because the player has to be of a high quality to get McC off the field.

Defense.  We have to improve and fill holes on defense as well. 

I don't see any way to avoid going all in on a two year run at a championship without producing big holes in the roster for next year.

59 minutes ago, GW21 said:

It’d be very on brand for us to go after Saquon tomorrow lol. 

Not really keen on spending that kind of money on another RB.

Especially one that with a have to split touches with CMC, so you're not getting starter production even though you're paying for it 

And I dont think Barkley would come just do be RB2 behind CMC anyway.

I'd rather a rookie step into that role after challenging Mitchell & Mason in TC.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Especially one that with a have to split touches with CMC, so you're not getting starter production even though you're paying for it 

I'd rather a rookie step into that role after challenging Mitchell & Mason in TC.

I think our number one priority needs to be the offensive line. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think the team needs a guy that can do the things CMC does, not the things "runningbacks" do.  We have a bevy of traditional runningbacks that can't see the field because they are not adequate in the passing/play action game.  It's a bunch of assets and competition that ultimately play a position that doesn't exist on the 49ers, and hasn't existed since Mike McDaniels left town.  

I have not gotten to know the draft guys, but if there is a guy who can run hot routes like CMC and is good enough in the running game, that would work too.  The hard part is the level of complexity CMC plays with just isn't there at the college level.  Not even collegiate CMC did the things we ask of CMC now, so it becomes a crap shoot.  

It is probably a pipe dream to get a high end, versatile, still miles in the tank vet.   I think even carries number of carries and use of fresh bodies ensures we get MVP production of the RB position through the game and year.  Or, more accurately, doubles our chances of getting that type of production from the position.  The skill set and mind set would need to line up with who we have.  In reality we are far more likely to end up with McKinnon than Barkley.  We just need to find a guy that does what we do. 

18 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I think our number one priority needs to be the offensive line. 

I think our biggest need is offensive line, and it's not very close.  I am not sure if the assets available and the overall strategy of the team would also line that up with being the top priority.  This team has more holes than normal this year, and fewer assets.  I think they have to choose whether to eat crap now during Brock's rookie deal and leave holes open, or eat crap later when they pay Brock.  There might be a way to fill the holes, acquire talent, and still keep the budget balanced long term, I just am not sure if that is expecting too much from the offseason assets we have. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

As much as I would like for us to move on from Armstead, that (dead cap) contract is crazy! I doubt it will happen. He just misses too much time.