Antonio Callaway is the best player in this draft nobody is talking about

VanS

32 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

You have to take responsibility for your actions and cannot always use the excuse that he hangs out with bad people. You also seem to forget the fraud charges and the stealing of money.  How many times does a guy have to show his spots before everyone realizes, he is what he is, a bad kid who is not likely to change anytime soon!!!

Cam Newton stole a laptop at Florida as well and he's turned out just fine now in the NFL.

I don't take a poor kid stealing as an unforgivable sin.

I'm sure once Antonio Callaway makes millions in the NFL he won't feel the need to engage in credit card fraud anymore.  Just as Cam Newton isn't stealing laptops anymore.

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Cam Newton stole a laptop at Florida as well and he's turned out just fine now in the NFL.

I'm sure once Antonio Callaway makes millions in the NFL he won't feel the need to engage in credit card fraud anymore.  Just as Cam Newton isn't stealing laptops anymore.

No, but it's a POS move. Cam's move was a POS move.

There are crimes against one's self and then there are victimless crimes. Smoking weed is a victimless crime. Stealing from someone is a completely separate thing. He might become a model citizen, but there is literally nothing in his background that shows me he has a redeeming quality. Also, it'd be slightly different if he had been caught stealing and then got busted with pot later on. The fact that he got in all of that trouble before and then escalated to fraud just shows me he doesn't care. His off-field problems escalated after he already got in trouble...I'm not putting this all on his surroundings. If my friends were all garbage, I'd be looking for some new friends. He doesn't have to do everything they do; he chooses his actions and apparently doesn't care about the consequences to others. Hurting yourself is one thing. When you start targeting innocent people, you get the POS label.

8 hours ago, VanS said:

Man, you're really not holding Callaway accountable for anything he's done. 

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

Because it fits his agenda of promoting the player. We don't know if this kid is a "good or bad person", just as Van doesn't know if he is the one actually influencing others or if he is actually a "bad" person. I have felon family members and a friend with a felony, I never did what they did despite being around them a whole bunch. Because I made the choice not to. Hold this kid accountable. He can make the choice to do the right thing despite those around him. The fact he doesn't shows me what kind of person he is. Doesn't mean he can't do better in the future but he has to prove it.

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

That's cause I don't plan on hanging out with him.  I'm judging him almost entirely as a football player.  I think he's a really good football player and nothing he's done off the field is bad enough for me to not want him on my team.

1 minute ago, VanS said:

That's cause I don't plan on hanging out with him.  I'm judging him almost entirely as a football player.  I think he's a really good football player and nothing he's done off the field is bad enough for me to not want him on my team.

Maybe you should hangout with him to help turn him around 

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Because it fits his agenda of promoting the player. We don't know if this kid is a "good or bad person", just as Van doesn't know if he is the one actually influencing others or if he is actually a "bad" person. I have felon family members and a friend with a felony, I never did what they did despite being around them a whole bunch. Because I made the choice not to. Hold this kid accountable. He can make the choice to do the right thing despite those around him. The fact he doesn't shows me what kind of person he is. Doesn't mean he can't do better in the future but he has to prove it.

bingo.gif?1469078145

10 hours ago, VanS said:

He stole almost $2000 to buy a MacBook Pro and Beats Headphones. He wasn’t stealing bread to feed his family, he was stealing luxury electronics. 

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.  Bud good luck to the kid.  Hopefully he can get his life turned around and make a positive contribution, be it in football or in life in general.  Very good football player, but worth investing millions into?  He has a lot to prove.

13 hours ago, VanS said:

I agree, he is a fine football player who had 1st round potential, but you are not going to find any GM's willing to stake their jobs on his becoming a model citizen and that alone will drop him a round or 2.

I can just see the GM who drafted him in round 1, trying to explain to his owner, why the guy is a complete screw up and still keep his job. GM's, when drafting, always have on the back of their minds when they draft a 1st rounder, is there any chance this guy can cost me my job and believe me, you'd be surprised how often a pick is based on this idea, if the GM involved is on a short fuse with his owner.

17 hours ago, winitall said:

He stole almost $2000 to buy a MacBook Pro and Beats Headphones. He wasn’t stealing bread to feed his family, he was stealing luxury electronics

And?  Social status symbols are just as important to some people. 

All I'm saying is I don't think stealing is an evil crime.  Its a bad thing we're not supposed to do.  And if found guilty one should be punished.

But I'm not gonna define someone who stole something as an inherently bad person.  It just means you made a mistake.

9 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Just watched Antonio Callaway's highlights again. That Sterling Sharpe comparison is 100% on target. I'd stick with that. 

The similarities between the two are startling.  Sterling Sharpe was before my time so my first exposure to him was this highlight tape.  It didn't take but a few clips for me to say holy crap Antonio Callaway is identical to this guy.  Then I looked up Sterling's accomplishments and was like WOAH this guy was amazing, why haven't I heard of him more?

Sterling Sharpe might be the most underrated WR in NFL history.

He'd be a top 3 WR for me, up there with Tate and Ridley, if not for his off-field issues. Such a shame because he's one hell of a talent. Hope he can find his way and get on the right path.

Potential is through the roof. Dynamic athlete. Wins in all three levels. Can take a slant to the house or beat you over the top. Interested in seeing if he gets drafted or not. Hard to imagine a team unwilling to burn at least a 7th rounder on him. Then again, his off-field laundry list is one of the worst I've seen.

Archived