Bengals sign RB Zack Moss (2 years, $8M)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This feels kind of...lateral at best?  Are they really saving much here, or what exactly are they doing?

Moss and Chase Brown as RB for cheaper.  need to pay Higgins unless he gets traded.  

Cincy D needs some work as well

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Moss and Chase Brown as RB for cheaper.  need to pay Higgins unless he gets traded.  

Cincy D needs some work as well

I guess if you've gotta pinch every penny.  I just didn't think Mixon was even paid that much.  But i guess every couple million savings counts.  And RB is obviously a position where teams are most willing to cut corners, which is fair.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I guess if you've gotta pinch every penny.  I just didn't think Mixon was even paid that much.  But i guess every couple million savings counts.  And RB is obviously a position where teams are most willing to cut corners, which is fair.

$6M in cap savings on releasing Mixon.  Might be that Cincy feels Mixon and Chase are similar roles vs Moss and Chase are more complimentary to each other

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

$6M in cap savings on releasing Mixon.  Might be that Cincy feels Mixon and Chase are similar roles vs Moss and Chase are more complimentary to each other

I mean...it's $6M in savings...of which, $4.525M is immediately eaten up replacing him with Moss though.  So it's like...a couple million bucks in "real savings".  Which doesn't seem a lot, when i think Mixon is still probably the better back.  But who knows.  Bengals might also just feel that Mixon is about to hit that "wall" with his age/legs.  He's got a lot of mileage on him at this point, even if he's not showing dire signs of decline per se.

I mean...it's $6M in savings...of which, $4.525M is immediately eaten up replacing him with Moss though.  So it's like...a couple million bucks in "real savings".  Which doesn't seem a lot, when i think Mixon is still probably the better back.  But who knows.  Bengals might also just feel that Mixon is about to hit that "wall" with his age/legs.  He's got a lot of mileage on him at this point, even if he's not showing dire signs of decline per se.

Don't be fooled by the "$4.525M payout in year 1".  Thats most likely signing bonus + base salary and not cap hit.

I think this is more about chase brown being more explosive than mixon and moss being a cheaper version of mixon.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Don't be fooled by the "$4.525M payout in year 1".  Thats most likely signing bonus + base salary and not cap hit.

I think this is more about chase brown being more explosive than mixon and moss being a cheaper version of mixon.

Fair enough.  The NFL salary cap is basically made up, so who knows how exactly it all really balances out on the cap hit for the year, without more detailed breakdown (and even then half the time it's murky).  But i guess they must've just seen it like this and be getting a more favorable cap relief than it looks on the surface for it.

And it's certainly not unreasonable to think that Mixon might be approaching that threshold of no return, where as soon as this year...Moss could conceivably end up the better back in that role.

It's just a bit of a funny swap to me on the surface.  Not like the Packers swapping a constantly injured guy for a less constantly injured guy, for example.  Which makes sense even if it's not really an "upgrade" per se.

• Like 1

Fair enough.  The NFL salary cap is basically made up, so who knows how exactly it all really balances out on the cap hit for the year, without more detailed breakdown (and even then half the time it's murky).  But i guess they must've just seen it like this and be getting a more favorable cap relief than it looks on the surface for it.

And it's certainly not unreasonable to think that Mixon might be approaching that threshold of no return, where as soon as this year...Moss could conceivably end up the better back in that role.

It's just a bit of a funny swap to me on the surface.  Not like the Packers swapping a constantly injured guy for a less constantly injured guy, for example.  Which makes sense even if it's not really an "upgrade" per se.

Yeah it's hard to know what teams see or how they feel a player is on the ascending/ descending curve.   Cincy may see on film that Mixon isn't hitting holes at the speed he was and feel a dropoff is very near.  Also could be medicals on how a players body is recovering game to game.  As some GM's say...." better to get out a year early than a year late"

• Like 1