Vikings sign Sam Darnold

O'Connell was asked about his evaluation of Darnold's earlier career stops in which he started 38 games for the Jets, 17 for the Panthers and one for the Niners:

"I think there's always things as coaches, that that's our job to try to identify ways to help a player. For every time you might sit there and say, 'Oh, we need to work on this,' or you know, 'We can enhance this part of Sam's game,' there's some other things where you look at and say, 'There it is. That's why.'

"He's always shown those things, whether it was the end of 2022 with Carolina that he can go in and play winning football, you know, tough circumstances sometimes find all quarterbacks in this league. I think that's just the life of an NFL quarterback and you know, then he gets a chance to go to San Francisco with Kyle and Brian [Griese], and I thought they did a great job with him because his tape from one year to the next, you see some things that translate. High level, you can tell he was really working on things, my conversations with him about his feet and eyes and reading with his feet and playing in rhythm and being able to make great decisions with a football all leads you to, and he's making, you know, those comments are being made out of experience of not only things he's done well, but we all sometimes have our greatest growth in moments of failure.

"The level of that failure at this position tends to be magnified because it's for all to see. Wins or losses tend to get put on that player regardless of circumstance around them or the voice in the headset or all the things that goes into it. And I'd like to think, I'm confident in the combination of all those things for us here in Minnesota and where Sam's at in his career, that this makes this a great opportunity for both the Vikings and Sam."

Darnold:  "Kind of like Aaron said in the beginning, this business gets pretty crazy and hectic fast. And if you're not consistent with your attitude day in and day out, you can get chewed up and spit out quick. The biggest thing that I've learned is to stay consistent every single day, and that's really all I'm looking to bring here."

https://www.vikings.com/news/sam-darnold-excited-to-begin-work-with-vikings

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

This is a somewhat new contract strategy for the Vikings...yes, they've used void years on some "big" money contracts, but this is really the first time I recall they've been using them on smaller deals.  It's going to be interesting for them to still have dead money counting for guys like Darnold in 2027 when they'll likely be off the team in 2025. 

Edited by swede700

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This is a somewhat new contract strategy for the Vikings...yes, they've used void years on some "big" money contracts, but this is really the first time I recall they've been using them on smaller deals.  It's going to be interesting for them to still have dead money counting for guys like Darnold in 2027 when they'll likely be off the team in 2025. 

Dead money all accelerates to either the current year or next year (depending on the time of year) when a player's contract is terminated. How would there be dead money in 2027 for a player off the team in 2025?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Dead money all accelerates to either the current year or next year (depending on the time of year) when a player's contract is terminated. How would there be dead money in 2027 for a player off the team in 2025?

That's true, sorry...I must still be tired this morning.  🤣

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

NFL Network@nflnetwork

O'Connell: "I think his best football is ahead of him because of how he handled the last couple of years." 

Well, it won't be a high bar for Darnold to clear...because he's played a lot of bad football. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kevin Seifert: “McCarthy is obviously the Vikings’ quarterback of the future, but they signed veteran Sam Darnold prior to the draft with the hope of avoiding a rushed ascension of a rookie into the starting role. Darnold has genuine supporters within the building, starting with coach Kevin O’Connell, and there is real hope that he can play credibly enough to avoid the typical pressure to play McCarthy before he is ready.”

“It’s a matter of when, not if, McCarthy becomes the starter, but the Vikings hope Darnold can extend the “when” for as long as McCarthy needs him to.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/more-and-more-evidence-trickles-in-about-vikings-qb-situation?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

34 minutes ago, vikes635 said:

I'm assuming Darnold starts the year, I am also predicting JJ gets the nod after the bye week. How good of a record would we have to have to leave Darnold in?

I think if we have a winning record, Darnold stays in.

McCarthy still has a little ways to go, judging from the reports from OTAs. Better not rush it.

• Like 3

Just now, GermanVike said:

I think if we have a winning record, Darnold stays in.

McCarthy still has a little ways to go, judging from the reports from OTAs. Better not rush it.

say we are 3-3?

2 hours ago, vikes635 said:

say we are 3-3?

I think even then, or even if we are 2-4 and are competitive, he stays in.

If Darnold implodes, however, the fanbase will start calling for McCarthy. I hope KOC will resist these calls and give McCarthy enough time.

• Like 3

I don't think they plan on starting McCarthy until we're eliminated from playoff contention. So I don't expect him to start until week 12 or 13, at the absolute earliest. I actually don't think he'll start a game this season, and I'm fine with that.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, vikes635 said:

I'm assuming Darnold starts the year, I am also predicting JJ gets the nod after the bye week. How good of a record would we have to have to leave Darnold in?

I see no way they start JJ after the Bye Week with only 2 home games in the 6 weeks following it.  The absolute earliest they'd start him is Week 13.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4