Vikings sign Sam Darnold

37 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I think he will play very well, he will garner more than a late 3rd/early 4th, imo. 

exactly. some team would sign him mid or late in the season to be a stop gap starter. that's worth more than a late 3rd.

but then, i don't think Darnold would excel in that new role, but who knows? i think right now he is benefitting greatly from O'Connell's influence and constant presence. Darnold has also spoken highly of McCown.

lots of ways his near future could play out a s a Viking this year....

• Like 1

If he's playing well enough by the trade deadline to garner trade interest, then the Vikings are likely in the playoff hunt. So they wouldn't trade him.

His purpose is to be a bridge to McCarthy and to hopefully play well enough to keep us competitive this year. I don't think we are concerned about getting value for him other than that. If we were, we would have signed him for two years.

If he plays lights out, then you can consider franchising him and trading him or seeing if he plays better in year 2 as your starter. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If he's playing well enough by the trade deadline to garner trade interest, then the Vikings are likely in the playoff hunt. So they wouldn't trade him.

His purpose is to be a bridge to McCarthy and to hopefully play well enough to keep us competitive this year. I don't think we are concerned about getting value for him other than that. If we were, we would have signed him for two years.

If he plays lights out, then you can consider franchising him and trading him or seeing if he plays better in year 2 as your starter. 

leave it to a contracts attorney to analyze the situation and suggest sensible contingencies.

no, we are not paying you a retainer.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

gulp. then doesn't his contract go up to 50 mill a year or whatever?

Likely. But it’s a one year commitment. Maybe a no-year commitment if someone trades and extends him. That’s very much an “all in” move. But if he’s playing well enough to consider it, then you have a good choice to make. 

I don’t expect him to play that well at all. I also don’t think that they signed him with any consideration to trying to recuperate something.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 2:20 PM, vike daddy said:

do these two sentences contradict each other?

and it's not automatic we get one of your prized 3rd round comp picks (nearly equal to a high 4th anyway) because we might very well be signing a lot of free agents next year.

How are they contradictory? Case Keenum had 1 successful year. Then upon the conclusion of that successful year,  a desperate team gave him a contract that would have gotten us a 3rd round comp pick. 

That's what I would expect to happen. If we had Darnold on contract for more than one year, then he'd likely be traded to a desperate team. This occured with Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub and Kevin Kolb in the past.

On 6/21/2024 at 11:10 AM, SteelKing728 said:

If Sam has a Case Keenum 2017 type season, let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick in 2026.

Teams are desperate enough for a QB that they'll overpay for one that's only had a single year of success.

aah, i see now.

i mistook your second sentence to mean someone would trade for him from us, and that team would overpay.

my mistake in interpretation.

• Like 1

i'm thinking "NFL analysts" read our jabbering here and then write their stories.

this was published three hours ago, which was ten hours after we talked about it -

According to Sports Illustrated senior NFL writer Conor Orr, McCarthy may be taking the reins by mid-season, but probably not for the reason you think. Instead of being benched for poor performance or because the team’s bye week is a perfect transition point, Orr projects Darnold to be trade bait and wind up with a contender who has their starter go down with an injury.

In his 100 predictions piece for Sports Illustrated, Orr made several Vikings-centric predictions, but the most interesting one, by far, involved the team’s starting quarterback. Orr believes Darnold will be traded before the Nov. 5 trade deadline, paving the way for the McCarthy era to start for the Vikings.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/06/22/sports-illustrated-projects-a-mid-season-sam-darnold-trade/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1mHY_PVzY_cJFYCW031QpyNVEJQDAieVFMFUrnasXiFnC60X1g1dh0QmM_aem_mLTH1ZlynUb0xPu6pVSVWA

• Like 2

Rich Gannon: “My overall assessment of Sam Darnold is that he’s an extremely talented player. He’s very athletic, he’s got good feet, he’s got a big-time arm, he can make all the throws. He’s a young guy. He’s 26 years old. It’s stupid that he’s been in the league six years and he’s 26 years old.”

MinnesotaVikingsPro.com 

Posted (edited)

I don't see any scenario where they either trade him or re-sign him. The only way they potentially resign him is if McCarthy isn't ready yet.  While not the same, this is his Baker Mayfield opportunity.  Mayfield was given a 1-yr deal in TB to resurrect his career.  He did, so they extended him.  Here, there's no opportunity for an extension with the Vikings, but he does have a chance to show other teams that he can be a capable starter if need be. 

Edited by swede700