New Kicker Brandon McManus

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

1 year $3.6 mill. 32 Years old from Jacksonville . Why didn't we resign Joey Slye? Much younger. I'd think a stronger leg . I don't get this .

I'm glad Slye is gone. I probably would have preferred a rookie K, but admittedly I haven't scouted any kickers. 

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm glad Slye is gone. I probably would have preferred a rookie K, but admittedly I haven't scouted any kickers. 

I would imagine they'll bring in a UDFA to compete with this guy. 

13 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Why? He actually has a slightly better career FG % and a cannon of a leg . 

I don’t think McManus is any great kicker at this point of his career, but I’m okay starting over.

The single most indefensible decision of the Rivera era was cutting Dustin Hopkins and bringing in *some guy* to replace him. Eventually that ended up in former Panther Slye predictably being their guy. And he’s okay, except that he continues to strive towards being the worst XP kicker of all time.

I wish we could just find our own kicker. I understand we’re cursed at the position due to Moseley laughably winning MVP, but still…how is it that everybody else at least occasionally manages to find good kickers and ours ALWAYS suck? It’s wild.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think McManus is any great kicker at this point of his career, but I’m okay starting over.

The single most indefensible decision of the Rivera era was cutting Dustin Hopkins and bringing in *some guy* to replace him. Eventually that ended up in former Panther Slye predictably being their guy. And he’s okay, except that he continues to strive towards being the worst XP kicker of all time.

I wish we could just find our own kicker. I understand we’re cursed at the position due to Moseley laughably winning MVP, but still…how is it that everybody else at least occasionally manages to find good kickers and ours ALWAYS suck? It’s wild.

I mean we had a few good ones (and at least 1 great one) on our rosters afterward. But always seem to let most of them slip away. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Welp, at one point we provided 8 starting kickers to the rest of the NFL, so we can’t develop them, but we can at least identify them.  

Fully expect Slye to be a top 10 kicker for the next couple years now.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Welp, at one point we provided 8 starting kickers to the rest of the NFL, so we can’t develop them, but we can at least identify them.  

Fully expect Slye to be a top 10 kicker for the next couple years now.  

He probably has a better chance of being a top 10 linebacker. 

Without Tress Way he probably falls on his face.

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

He probably has a better chance of being a top 10 linebacker. 

Without Tress Way he probably falls on his face.

It’s hard to blame Slye when our long snapper couldn’t snap. 

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s hard to blame Slye when our long snapper couldn’t snap. 

I'm willing to give some leniency, but we all know when it's repetitive that it's an issue. 

I loved his kickoffs and crossed my fingers every XP.

Not sure of the hate here for McManus. What am I missing?

The last 4 years, 

<49 yards = 84/91  (92%)

50+ yards =   28/47  (59.5%)

XP =   117/123   (95%)

Okay...how about the...

Last 2 years

<49 yards = 45/50  (90%)

50+ yards =   13/23  (52%)

XP =   60/62   (96%)

Okay...how about... 

Last year

<49 yards = 25/27  (92.6%)

50+ yards =   5/10  (50%)

XP =   35/35   (100%)

And for the people who wanted to keep Slye, I know you're going to accuse me of ignoring his stats so here ya go (we can't go back 4 years as he has not stats listed except the last 2 years)

JOEY SLYE

Last 2 years

<49 yards = 36/42 (85.7%)

50+ yards =   7/11  (63.6%)

XP =   56/63  (88.8%)

Okay...how about... 

Last year

<49 yards =  16/19 (84%)

50+ yards =   3/5  (60%)

XP =   32/35   (91%)

A few things to note. 

1) Yes, Slye has a better FG% on 50+, but there are alot of things that factor into those kicks. Basically 50+ kicks are free money if you make them. 

2) Notice of those 50+ kicks that McManus' team trusted him a lot more often to attempt the kicks than did our team with Slye?

3) Yes, Slye had to contend with Cheeseman yanking snaps all over the place, but it is what it is. People dogged on Gano for his long kicks when our OL couldn't block properly. And Gano is still in the league.

4) Look at the XP. Those are FREE points that cannot be missed out on. Slye has missed 10 in the last 2 years whereas McManus has missed only 6 in twice the number of years.

I realize McManus isn't the best kicker in the league. But the way some people are going on (not just here but mostly on social media) about him sounds like he's washed up garbage. Yes, bring in camp competition, but I think he's a good kicker to use for a few years.

• Like 1