One round mock with five trades (and bonus picks with Carolina and Cleveland)

Mr.UFO

Most of the big name free agents have signed with teams. But there might be some more signings after I post this that will make one or more of my mock picks out of date.

Blue: team's second pick in Round 1

Red: team's first overall pick, occurring in Round 2

Round 1

1. Chicago: Caleb Williams [QB, USC]

This is the tap-in putt that we all get right. Justin Fields is still in limbo right now.

2. Washington: Drake Maye [QB, UNC]

Commander fans might be nervous about their team taking a quarterback from the same school as Sam Howell. But this one has a good chance of success.

3. New England: Jayden Daniels [QB, LSU]

Things haven't worked out in suburban Boston since Tom Brady left the Patriots.

4. Arizona: Marvin Harrison [WR, OhS]

Kyler Murray gets a stud receiver to throw to, but 2024 might be Murray's last chance in Phoenix.

5. New York Jets {Trade 1}: Joe Alt [OT, ND]

The Jets need Aaron Rodgers to last more than four snaps. Alt gives him more protection.

6. New York Giants: Malik Nabors [WR, LSU]

Maybe Daniel Jones won't look as bad with a decent reciever.

7. New Orleans {Trade 2}: Rome Odunze [WR, Wsh]

Rome if you want to (remember that song?) Odunze was a major factor in Washington winning the last ever Pac-12 football championship.

8. Atlanta: Dallas Turner [ELB, Ala]

Legendary Alabama head coach Nick Saban has just retired, but he leaves behind more great defensive talent.

9. Indianapolis {Trade 3} -- Brock Bowers [TE, Grg]: The only knock on Bowers could be his height (6-3). But he gets open so much, it makes up for it.

10. Los Angeles Chargers {Trade 1}: Quinyon Mitchell [CB, Tol]

The draft's best player from the MAC would make a good secondary combination with cornerback Asante Samuel and safety Derwin James.

11.  Minnesota: J.J. McCarthy [QB, Mch]

JJM will be overdrafted due to being a quarterback, and also because people like Sam Darnold have no business being an NFL starting quarterback.

12. Denver: Adonai Mitchell [WR, Tx]

Mitchell replaces Jerry Jeudy, but who plays quarterback? In this mock scenario, they trade for Justin Fields after Minnesota plucks J.J. McCarthy from their grasp.

13. Pittsburgh {Trade 4}: Olu Fashanu [OT, PSU]

The Steelers are thinking about moving ROT Broderick Jones to the left side. But with Fashanu, they won't have to.

14. Tennessee {Trade 2}: Troy Fautanu [OT, Wsh]

QB Will Levis has promise, and better offensive tackles would help him a lot.

15. Chicago {Trade 3}: Byron Murphy [DT, Tx]

Matt Eberflus has stressed the importance of a good 3-technique tackle. The problem is that he hasn't had one since taking over the Bears.

16. Seattle: Jared Verse [ELB, FSU]

The talented DE makes the conversion to edge linebacker, giving the Seahawks a needed pass rush.

17. Jacksonville: Terrion Arnold [CB, Ala]

Arnold might be the draft's best corner, although Quinyon Mitchell has passed him on several analysts' draft boards.

18. Cincinnati: Brian Thomas [WR, LSU]

Out of the Bengals three starting wide receivers, Ja'Marr Chase is the only one who is sure to return. Tee Higgins wants to be traded, and Tyler Boyd is a free agent.

19. Los Angeles Rams: Laiatu Latu [ELB, UCLA]

Why do the Rams have a 310 pound guy playing edge linebacker? They should take Latu and keep him in town.

20. Las Vegas {Trade 4}: J.C. Latham [OT, Ala]

The Raiders need a right tackle, and pounce on the best ROT in the draft.

21. Miami: Taliese Fuaga [OT, OrS]

This is a pick for the near future, as Terron Armstead is aging and banged-up.

22. Philadelphia: Darius Robinson [DE5, Msr]

With the change of DC to Vic Fangio, the Eagles will scrap the two-gap 3-4. Robinson is experienced in the modern day one-gap 3-4 at the 5-technique position.

23. Houston: Nate Wiggins [CB, Clm]

Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce aren't the only reason the Chiefs are collecting NFL titles. They also have two lockdown corners. Wiggins could pair with Derek Stingley.

24. Dallas: Amarius Mims [OT, Grg]

Dallas has said goodbye to an all-time great in Tyron Smith.

25. Green Bay: Tyler Guyton [OT, OU]

The Packers brass finally realized David Bakhtiari is done.

26. San Francisco {Trade 5}: Chop Robinson [DE, PSU]

Chase Young turned out to be a free agent bust, and they are already looking for his replacement.

27. Arizona: Chris Braswell [ELB, Ala]

This might be a reach, but the Cardinals haven't had a good pass rusher since J.J. Watt -- and even he was a banged-up free agent from the Texans.

28. Buffalo: Xavier Worthy [WR, Tx]

The Bills find a replacement for Gabe Davis -- and a fast one at that.

29. Detroit: Johnny Newton [DT, ILL]

DT Alim McNeill is big enough to move to NT, and Newton can be the 3t.

30. Baltimore: Cooper DeJean [CB, Iowa]

I think CB Brandon Stephens is a converted safety. I'm not sure about him.

31. Tampa Bay {Trade 5}: Kool-Aid McKinstry [CB, Ala]

It seems like you can never go wrong with Alabama players.

32. Kansas City: Tez Walker [WR, UNC]

Whoever GM Brett Veach drafts seems to automatically be great.

Round 2

33. Carolina: Jackson Powers-Johnson [C, Or]

The Panthers released Bradley Bozeman -- as if their offensive line wasn't bad enough without making a hole to fill.

54. ClevelandTyler Nubin [S, Min]

The Browns have been playing a lot of big nickel (three safety) defense, and Rodney McLeod is an old free agent.

Edited by Mr.UFO

15 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

12. Denver: Adonai Mitchell [WR, Tx]

Mitchell replaces Jerry Jeudy, but who plays quarterback? In this mock scenario, they trade for Justin Fields after Minnesota plucks J.J. McCarthy from their grasp.

Why would Denver replace a guy that senses non-existent pressure and don't like to stay in the pocket (in the offseason Sean Payton said they have to win from the pocket) with a younger guy that senses non-existent pressure and don't like to stay in the pocket and is an worse passer than the guy he is replacing it?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Brian Thomas over Arnold for the jags.

Not a bad choice. Thomas has been rising on boards lately. Both LSU WRs could go in the top half of Round 1 (and Nabors obviously will).

Edited by Mr.UFO

The Bears spent a 2nd and 3rd round pick last year on DTs Gervon Dexter and Zach Pickens, so I doubt they'd go DT in the first here.  Dexter was starting to pick things up as he got more playing time towards the end of last year.  In this scenario I'd go either Verse or JPJ at 15.

EDIT:  Or, just stick at 9 and take Bowers unless Indy offers something unrealistic.

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

The Bears spent a 2nd and 3rd round pick last year on DTs Gervon Dexter and Zach Pickens, so I doubt they'd go DT in the first here.  Dexter was starting to pick things up as he got more playing time towards the end of last year.  In this scenario I'd go either Verse or JPJ at 15.

If the Bears stay at their real-life pick at 9, who do you want?

26 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Works out in our favor since i want that trade and they don't :D

I like doing mocks with trades. It's sort of like cheating, and nobody will call you out for doing it. 😁

8 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

I like doing mocks with trades. It's sort of like cheating, and nobody will call you out for doing it. 😁

Yeah i like mocks with trades as well they are a bit more realistic imo as you know for a fact a few are happening in the real draft.   I just hope the Falcons can be part of those trades sometimes :D

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

EDIT:  Or, just stick at 9 and take Bowers unless Indy offers something unrealistic.

Agreed, but if they do pull the trigger on the trade I'd be down for Verse, JPJ (even if the Bears would sign Connor Williams, JPJ can take the RG spot from Davis immediately IMO) or one of the OTs (Mims, Latham, Fuaga) who may kick inside too. I also really like DeJean, I feel like he could be a nightmare on defense.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed, but if they do pull the trigger on the trade I'd be down for Verse, JPJ (even if the Bears would sign Connor Williams, JPJ can take the RG spot from Davis immediately IMO) or one of the OTs (Mims, Latham, Fuaga) who may kick inside too. I also really like DeJean, I feel like he could be a nightmare on defense.

I'd love for DeJean, especially because Iowa and all, but I just think he would be too much of a luxury for us at this point.  The Bears still need their foundation set, we got pretty good DBs at it stands.

13 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I'd love for DeJean, especially because Iowa and all, but I just think he would be too much of a luxury for us at this point.  The Bears still need their foundation set, we got pretty good DBs at it stands.

As do I. Brisker just annoys the ever loving piss out of me. Maybe with a package of him and Fields the Bears might get a return. lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

8. Atlanta: Dallas Turner [ELB, Ala]

Legendary Alabama head coach Nick Saban has just retired, but he leaves behind more great defensive talent.

Fine by me. Top edge in the draft and we need more talent there.