The window is 24 and 25!!!

Just to ram home the point further. When looking at the other current competitive teams with 'windows,' this is where our offence we'll be in a few years time once Love signs a new contract and he starts accounting for a serious percentage of cap and when we sign some of our guys to new contracts. All these teams are potential Super Bowl winners but compare our unique position now to them. By 2026 our cap position will look very similar to theirs, where 2 to 4 players will account for 20%-25% of the cap.

Green Bay   Cincinnati   Miami   Baltimore Philly   San Fran   Detroit   Kansas  

Jenkins 5.46 Burrow 11.2 Hill 12.2 Lamar 12.7 L.Johnson 6.11 T.Willaims 10.61 Goff 12.52 Mahomes 14.67
Love 4.83 Higgins 8.2 Tua 9.03 Stanley 6.72 Hurts 5.21 Deebo 9.63 Decker 7.4 Thuney 10.69
Jacobs 2.01 O.Brown 6.18     Andrews 6.66 Brown 4.68     Ragnow 4.96    
Myers 1.31             Malita 4.01            
Newman 1.23                            
Watson 0.95                            
Musgrave 0.73                            
Reed 0.62                            
Rhyan 0.53                            
Kraft 0.48                            
Doubs 0.44                            
Tom 0.42                            
Walker 0.38                            
Wicks 0.38                            
Melton 0.35                            

Total 20.12%   25.58%   21.23%   26.08%   20.01%   20.24%   24.88%   25.36%
  15 players 3 players   2 players   3 players   4 players   2 players   3 players   2 players
Without Royce 18.89%                            

21 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Just to ram home the point further. When looking at the other current competitive teams with 'windows,' this is where our offence we'll be in a few years time once Love signs a new contract and he starts accounting for a serious percentage of cap and when we sign some of our guys to new contracts. All these teams are potential Super Bowl winners but compare our unique position now to them. By 2026 our cap position will look very similar to theirs, where 2 to 4 players will account for 20%-25% of the cap.

Green Bay   Cincinnati   Miami   Baltimore Philly   San Fran   Detroit   Kansas  

Jenkins 5.46 Burrow 11.2 Hill 12.2 Lamar 12.7 L.Johnson 6.11 T.Willaims 10.61 Goff 12.52 Mahomes 14.67
Love 4.83 Higgins 8.2 Tua 9.03 Stanley 6.72 Hurts 5.21 Deebo 9.63 Decker 7.4 Thuney 10.69
Jacobs 2.01 O.Brown 6.18     Andrews 6.66 Brown 4.68     Ragnow 4.96    
Myers 1.31             Malita 4.01            
Newman 1.23                            
Watson 0.95                            
Musgrave 0.73                            
Reed 0.62                            
Rhyan 0.53                            
Kraft 0.48                            
Doubs 0.44                            
Tom 0.42                            
Walker 0.38                            
Wicks 0.38                            
Melton 0.35                            

Total 20.12%   25.58%   21.23%   26.08%   20.01%   20.24%   24.88%   25.36%
  15 players 3 players   2 players   3 players   4 players   2 players   3 players   2 players
Without Royce 18.89%                            

Why isn't Clark on here? Or Preston Smith with his cap hit? Some of these other teams could take only their guys on first year contracts and be comparable. Looks like cherry picked stats to me. 

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why isn't Clark on here? Or Preston Smith with his cap hit? Some of these other teams could take only their guys on first year contracts and be comparable. Looks like cherry picked stats to me. 

Nothing cherry-picked here at all!!! Go look at the data yourself

I'm only talking offence, so no Clark Smith etc.

It's our offence that is set up with a crazy low spend which gives us a MASSIVE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE!!!!
Our top 16 players account for just over 20% of the cap - they are all really meaningful contributors. Of that 16 players 13 are on rookie deals. THAT IS UNHEARD OF!!!!

Just looking at a few of these teams, and you can check the rest as well, or randomly pick any you'll find the offence top 16 players will account for approximately 40% of the cap at the bottom end. Ours is HALF OF THAT at 20%!!!!

On OFFENCE
Eagles, top 16 players = 37.7% of cap - out of top 16 - 2 on rookie deals
Ravens, top 16 players = 42.78% of cap - out of top 16 - 6 on rookie deals
Niners, top 16 players = 43.95% of cap - out of top 16 - 4 on rookie deals (With one of them being Aiyuk on his 5th year at good money) AND they are not paying Purdy yet!
Chiefs, top 16 players = 57.57% of cap - out of top 16 - 3 on rookie deals

When it comes to having to pay our 13 rookies, and obviously not all 13 will get paid, and when Love's big cap years come in we'll look like the teams I listed previously, where 20%-25% of the cap will be consumed by 2 to 4 players!!! That is a fact not cherry-picked data!!!! All those teams are competitive for one factor only, they have good/great QBs and we should be in a similar boat with Love.

This competitive advantage of getting similar or better production for half the price compared to the rest of the NFL will not last forever. We have this year and even more massively next year. THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!!

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

So what you're saying is that in 2-3 years our cap situation will be like the best teams in the league including the 2 time defending champs. Sounds dire

NO!!! I'm saying we have a massive competitive advantage, where we are paying half the price for equal or better production. Therefore, we should have a better opportunity to win than the current best teams in the League!!!! 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Nothing cherry-picked here at all!!! Go look at the data yourself

I'm only talking offence, so no Clark Smith etc.

The salary cap is not divided between the offense and defense, there is just one salary cap for all.

One cap to rule them all, one cap for the signed, One cap to bind them all, it's one cap that we find. In the Land of the NFL, where the shadows lie.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The salary cap is not divided between the offense and defense, there is just one salary cap for all.

One cap to rule them all, one cap for the signed, One cap to bind them all, it's one cap that we find. In the Land of the NFL, where the shadows lie.

And hey presto if you are only spending 20% of your cap on your offence that means you can spend and allocate more cap to the stinky defence, just like we have done by paying top dollar for Xavier!!! 

This stuff ain't rocket science. It is simple business. If I'm paying at least 50% less than my competitors for similar production, I have a HUGE ADVANTAGE to allocate those resources that would be spent, in this instance on offence, somewhere else.

52 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

And hey presto if you are only spending 20% of your cap on your offence that means you can spend and allocate more cap to the stinky defence, just like we have done by paying top dollar for Xavier!!! 

This stuff ain't rocket science. It is simple business. If I'm paying at least 50% less than my competitors for similar production, I have a HUGE ADVANTAGE to allocate those resources that would be spent, in this instance on offence, somewhere else.

It's a shame we pay 50% more than our competitors with worse production!

(defense)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

It's a shame we pay 50% more than our competitors with worse production!

(defense)

That's the crux of it, with the wiggle room can we fix the defence. Lot of potential and cap there, will they play to it....?!?

Kenny Clark DT 10.41
Jaire Alexander CB 9.08
Preston Smith OLB 5.34
Rashan Gary OLB 4.22
Xavier McKinney S 2.92
Nixon CB 1.49

GB currently is on the low end for offense positional spending and on the high end for defense.  

GB window for titles is right now because they are spending big on defense.....and we all know that defenses win championships.

/s

The biggest thing we did for the defense this offseason was the subtraction of Barry.  Forget the addition of McKinley, that one subtraction was the best thing to happen to that defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

GB currently is on the low end for offense positional spending and on the high end for defense.  

GB window for titles is right now because they are spending big on defense.....and we all know that defenses win championships.

/s

The first point and the biggest is that you have 13 players on offence, who are serious contributors and who are on rookie deals. That is unheard of. YOU'LL NEVER GET THAT MUCH TALENT FOR SO CHEAP The likes of the top teams have 4 or 5 rookie players at tops on offence who contribute. Furthermore, you'll only be able to pay 4 to 5 of these 13, maybe less once we see what Love gets and how well they perform in the coming years.

Top 5 Right Tack;e AAV is around $20m or approx 9% of cap - that probably to Tom
Top 5 - 10 Left Tackle  AAV $15m to $20m approx 6% of cap - that probably goes to Walker - Walker we might sign or let walk
Top 5 -10 Tight Ends are getting $12, to $15m abouut 4% of cap - that probably goes to Musgrave
Top 10 WRs make $20m or approx 9% of cap - that probably to Reed
Top 20 WRs make $15m or approx 6% of the cap - that probably goes to Wicks
By 2027 Love will probably account for about 12% of cap

We are at the 40% mark now. For 5 players. Top 16 players gets you to about 50% or more. 

We have to find 9 players to replace via the draft. Three offence players every year for the next three years we have to hit on...Gute has done it a couple of years in a row which is why we are in this fantastic position, can he do it again and again and again...?

So main point is we can keep the gang together for so cheap and I'll be shocked if you can repeat that.That creates the mega window which none of our competitors have the advantage of.

The second point is with so little being spent on the offence, IF we wanted to tool up on the defence we can, as evidenced by signing a Safety to top 5 money for his position group. 

On 4/1/2024 at 12:54 AM, Eternal said:

I believe Gute is going to be active and trade some of those picks for higher draft picks this year. We are solid in a lot of areas, and if a position that could be upgraded is available I wouldn't be shocked if he's a bit more aggressive this year.

I honestly hope so. Gute's done a phenomenal job these past two drafts to a point in which many of us should wonder what we really need to add to this team other than a Safety, CB, and maybe another EDGE. Sure, the OL is a concern if someone goes down, but this draft is so deep at OL that we can't get upset if we draft multiple OL; plus, our draft capital can deeply enhance our practice of drafting for future needs. 

That makes me wonder if we don't trade down somewhere, maybe using pick 88 or 91 to amass a couple extra 4ths or 5ths depending on how the board looks and who's willing to trade up to either of those spots.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 1:56 AM, Rosser80 said:

I honestly hope so. Gute's done a phenomenal job these past two drafts to a point in which many of us should wonder what we really need to add to this team other than a Safety, CB, and maybe another EDGE. Sure, the OL is a concern if someone goes down, but this draft is so deep at OL that we can't get upset if we draft multiple OL; plus, our draft capital can deeply enhance our practice of drafting for future needs. 

That makes me wonder if we don't trade down somewhere, maybe using pick 88 or 91 to amass a couple extra 4ths or 5ths depending on how the board looks and who's willing to trade up to either of those spots.

Well as it stands, we have gaping holes at safety, linebacker, O-Line depth.   Corner looks potentially very problematic, we need to draft running back as well.  The reality is that as this stage of the off-season, every team has a lot of holes in the roster and will still have holes come day 1.  But there is a lot of room for draft picks.  There is pretty solid cases for triple tipping at OL and linebacker as it stands as well as using a very high pick on a safety. 

On 4/7/2024 at 4:18 PM, mikemike778 said:

Well as it stands, we have gaping holes at safety, linebacker, O-Line depth.   Corner looks potentially very problematic, we need to draft running back as well.  The reality is that as this stage of the off-season, every team has a lot of holes in the roster and will still have holes come day 1.  But there is a lot of room for draft picks.  There is pretty solid cases for triple tipping at OL and linebacker as it stands as well as using a very high pick on a safety. 

Nobody is arguing that we shouldn't draft multiple OL nor that there is a hole at Safety(I wouldn't say it's gaping post McKinney signing) nor is there a hole at LB. The CB class is far better than the Safety class, however, and there are still a couple of worthwhile FA Safeties with a couple reliable plug-n-plays available in the months to come.

We have one bonafide starter in Alexander who's had injuries in the past, we have a rotation of younger players on the other side, and Stokes is a lottery ticket at this point. The rhetorical question that probably should be asked is whether or not Hafley's going to call a scheme predicated on pressure from the front-7 with a secondary waiting for the ball to be thrown; if that's true, than more capital will be invested in the front-7 whereas DB will be drafted as BPA dictates.

Edited by Rosser80