The window is 24 and 25!!!

41 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

You seem to have forgot this

Packers’ Salary Cap Plagued by Dead Money - Sports Illustrated Green Bay Packers News, Analysis and More

Sure the players under contract are cheap. The players not under contract are not. We are paying the bill for Packers going all-in for Rodgers last years. The fact we have the players on cheap rookie contracts means we can get out of the all-in years relatively painlessly without sustained cap hell.

The absolute last thing we should be doing is talking about 2 year windows and throwing money at expensive free agents on a bucket load of void years which I assume you want. All goes well, this is the start of this team's future. Need to be making sensible decisions now. I get this is off-season and people are bored.

Your assumption is misplaced on many levels. I'm neither bored nor am I gagging to blow our wad on FA's.

I'm saying we have a very good squad with very little holes, especially on offence for dirt cheap. In two years time those cheap players will want to be paid and we won't be able to pay them all. The hope is that you keep some and replace others with cheap labour in the form of draft picks. Trouble is that is a lottery, we could get even better players than we have now or we could get worse ones. Who knows!?!? 

Without getting into salary cap hell and void years, it also affords us the freedom to spend on targeted FA's like we have done this off season. And next season 17% of our cap is not tied to players not on the roster.

So we have a great young squad on the cheap , we have cash to play with = mega opportunity!!!!

Opportunity still exists beyond these two years. I'm not saying it doesn't but the cost will be more than 20% of cap on offence, that is for sure. Harder decisions will have to be made. I'm 100% convinced the window is as long as Love plays great and stays healthy, it just becomes harder when more of the cap gets tied up on the top tier talent that we have on the roster which is currently so darn cheap.

14 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

So we have a great young squad on the cheap , we have cash to play with = mega opportunity!!!!

Of course, you are right.  We do have a mega opportunity.

@mikemike778 is also right.  And I feel like you agree.  It is unwise to take that money and just spend it while adding void years and things like that.

It seems like we are at a point with our cap to where we are comfortable not paying money now just because we have it.  We do trust our draft and develop philosophy.

Money we do not spend today rolls over to tomorrow.  I feel like we are going to try to roll money to pay our own as opposed to using it just to fill little holes and overpaying on the FA market.

There is a reason we have not signed Simmons at safety.  We value the money over time more than the short term results of signing him.

It is a unique strategy, and it is deviates from what we were doing the last couple years with Rodgers.  Ultimately it should set us up nicely for the future and keep the window open for longer.

On 3/27/2024 at 2:21 PM, vegas492 said:

Of course, you are right.  We do have a mega opportunity.

@mikemike778 is also right.  And I feel like you agree.  It is unwise to take that money and just spend it while adding void years and things like that.

It seems like we are at a point with our cap to where we are comfortable not paying money now just because we have it.  We do trust our draft and develop philosophy.

Money we do not spend today rolls over to tomorrow.  I feel like we are going to try to roll money to pay our own as opposed to using it just to fill little holes and overpaying on the FA market.

There is a reason we have not signed Simmons at safety.  We value the money over time more than the short term results of signing him.

It is a unique strategy, and it is deviates from what we were doing the last couple years with Rodgers.  Ultimately it should set us up nicely for the future and keep the window open for longer.

The whole thread has just gone weird, I'm not really sure what the point is other than we have a very young team with a lot of players on rookie contracts which is stating the obvious.

We have established its not just a 2 year window if Love is what we hope and Britpack doesn't want to throw our money at free agents. A lot will depend on how players develop, the sophomore slump can be a thing. We need to temper expectations a touch.

13 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

I'm not really sure what the point is other than we have a very young team with a lot of players on rookie contracts which is stating the obvious.

It is beyond just that. It is the quality and quantity of players that we have on rookie deals. This is a unicorn moment. Rarely to be repeated. 

Tell me when was the last time the Packers offence accounted for 20% of the cap?
When was there a time that Gute or any other Packers GM had knocked the draft out of the park two consecutive years? Aren't most drafts what we see from 2018 - 2021, a couple of good picks, occasional great one, and a lot of meh. 

The 2022 draft has returned us 7 starters for the coming season (if Rhyan ends up as starting) with another couple of dudes hanging around the roster. 2023 draft has 10 players which on early inspection look like they are keepers for the forthcoming future. 

Your expectation is that Gute will carry on in this 2022/23 trend as opposed to the 2018-2021 and he will replace all the departing talent with more cheap deal rookies... Who knows the f knows if that is what will happen?

The last time I can recall we came close, and we are not in the same ballpark to where we are now, with this much cheap talent was back in 2010/11 when we had Jordy, Randal, JJ, Finley, Lang, Sitton, Bulaga all on rookie deals. 

In 2024 we'll have 4 out of our 5 oline guys on rookie deals. All our receivers and TE's on rookie deals. Our QB on a cap friendly deal. When on the earth does that happen? If this is not a bloody great opportunity, a f'ing unicorn, a once in a lifetime scenario, I don't know what is!!!! I would like you to show me a Packer team with as much talent for so cheap, cos I can't recall it!

The way the stars have aligned for this is more than your typical flow of draft and develop for the Packers. This is beyond just a typical young team with players on rookie contracts. 

19 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The point of this thread is that we have a very young team with a lot of players on rookie contracts, so set your expectations sky-high.

I think it's kind of hard to determine what our window is until we pay Love and see how is contract is structured. I thought at first it would be better to pay him after next year but the more I think about it the more I want to just get it over with as soon as possible. Pay him a **** ton of money this year and really try to load up in 25-26.

The Davante and Rodgers trades are largely responsible for the last 2 drafts and giving us significantly more draft capital than usual. Hopefully Gute notices this and positions himself in the future with trades to load up on draft capital vs letting talent walk in free agency.

If we trade some of these guys who will want contracts we cant afford after next year.. we could very easily reload. 

The key really is hitting again this year in the draft, and everyone from last year taking a step forward. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

If we trade some of these guys who will want contracts we cant afford after next year.. we could very easily reload. 

The key really is hitting again this year in the draft, and everyone from last year taking a step forward. 

I think prioritizing our successful picks from the past 2 drafts sharpens that picture. I'm confident we can hit on this draft simply due to the amount of picks we have and where our needs fall both immediately and in the near future.

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

The Davante and Rodgers trades are largely responsible for the last 2 drafts and giving us significantly more draft capital than usual. Hopefully Gute notices this and positions himself in the future with trades to load up on draft capital vs letting talent walk in free agency.

I don't think we'll necessarily have to load up on draft capital if we nail this draft. We can say that 2020 and 2021 were a wash outside of Love, maybe Dillon, maybe Myers, and McDuffie; anything we get out of Stokes and Slaton is gravy. Look at our past 2 drafts, and how diverse they were for that matter, we really only need to hit on 3 guys this year IMO.

2 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Great point with one modest caveat. We are still reaping the benefits from the Rodgers trade this year having the New York Leveragers 2nd round pick. This has a possibility to be three stellar drafts in a row to load this team up. 

39 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Great point with one modest caveat. We are still reaping the benefits from the Rodgers trade this year having the New York Leveragers 2nd round pick. This has a possibility to be three stellar drafts in a row to load this team up. 

Don't forget getting #91 for Rasul Douglas who was plucked off the Cards practice squad. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

I think prioritizing our successful picks from the past 2 drafts sharpens that picture. I'm confident we can hit on this draft simply due to the amount of picks we have and where our needs fall both immediately and in the near future.

I don't think we'll necessarily have to load up on draft capital if we nail this draft. We can say that 2020 and 2021 were a wash outside of Love, maybe Dillon, maybe Myers, and McDuffie; anything we get out of Stokes and Slaton is gravy. Look at our past 2 drafts, and how diverse they were for that matter, we really only need to hit on 3 guys this year IMO.

I believe Gute is going to be active and trade some of those picks for higher draft picks this year. We are solid in a lot of areas, and if a position that could be upgraded is available I wouldn't be shocked if he's a bit more aggressive this year.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:43 PM, Brit Pack said:

The next two years will be like the Packers under Rodgers in 2010 and 2011

I hope so! One Super Bowl win for Love would put him right there with Rodgers and Favre.

I feel we wasted so many years with Rodgers after those years on defensive end. Had some solid teams, but defense kept letting us down.

I am glad this regime seems to be more active on corrections that need to be made. I hope LaFleur nailed Hafley choice.