New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

hysteria reigns

A thing that is abundantly clear to me now is that the first time a penalty is called for a hip drop tackle this season a lot of the so-called "experts" who claim to understand the rule will be people who never actually bothered to figure out what constitutes a hip drop tackle.

15 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A thing that is abundantly clear to me now is that the first time a penalty is called for a hip drop tackle this season a lot of the so-called "experts" who claim to understand the rule will be people who never actually bothered to figure out what constitutes a hip drop tackle.

...including the officials !!!

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

...including the officials !!!

I get that officiating is bad, but it feels like "did you land with your weight on the back of the ball carrier's legs" is significantly easier to officiate than like roughing the passer, pass interference, or holding.

On 3/25/2024 at 10:57 AM, MWil23 said:

Imagine John Lynch and Lawrence Taylor playing today? They’d be absolute villains.

Sacking the quarterback is already almost illegal.

Now tackling in the open field in space is illegal.

Um, Ronnie Lott would have been banned from the league. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I mean, it wouldn't be hard to figure out how frequently cut blocks injure players. We know a hip drop tackle drastically increases injury due to evidence. You don't have evidence. You are just speculating nonsense. 

The players would benefit from the 18th game. It doesn't just make the owners more money but the players as well. Yes, adding 2 extra games obviously increases opportunity for injury. We just added a 17th game. If injuries shot up 10% due to the extra game, then we can debate if it is worth it to financially. But again, this is all baseless speculation on your part. We have evidence that the hip drop tackle is infrequent in its use and dangerous when used. That makes all the sense in the world to get rid of it. I'll see myself out of this tin-foiled hat conspiracy that rule change is only for revenue that will be generated by an extra 15 penalty yards per game. 

It's not nonsense when players for years have said that cutblocks are a dangerous maneuver. But hey maybe you know more than they do. 

Increased injury risk is injured injury risk, and preaching safety, while adding two games is bogus. You're treating something that is really common sense like it's your calculus homework. But be content to eat up whatever slop the NFL and it's crack team of hired cronies are feeding you, because you believe they're acting in the best interest of their employees, and not foremost in the best interest of their pocket book as a business. It's the NFL, not Amnesty International. 

Alright nice speaking with you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Cheerio!!! :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe