New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

Just explain to me how DBs are supposed to tackle TEs from a trail position now without getting a penalty. Are you just supposed to let the guy score now?

Can't you just wrap up the legs? 

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

You guys do know defenses weren’t always using this tackle form right? I get the criticisms about how it’ll be enforced, but there are legitimate concerns about how hip dropping has crept into the game more and more and it’s high propensity to cause injury.

Disagree. Defenses for a long time simply got a guy down however they could. You can go back, and watch game game from the 80's or 90's. And that was even with tackling drills in the offseasons. As for the video, I can appreciate the sentiment but it’s one more subjective thing that referees have to make calls on. These tackles in the video are all similar enough that it feels like a big ask for officials, which are already under scrutiny as it is. It's going to be hard to convince me that the 60+ year old official with cataracts is going to be able to identify what is or is not a hip-drop tackle, and what instance of a player going down in agony was or was not exacerbated by a group tackle. This is just playing with fire. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Can't you just wrap up the legs? 

It's not that simple at break-neck speed, and a bigger stronger guy might simply break through your attempt to tangle their legs up without an extra body on their back slowing them down. 

I really don't see this shaking up as different from banning the horsecollar tackle.  The reason defenders preferred the technique is that it stops the ballcarrier almost immediately, not because it was the only way to tackle a guy.  The league banned it because it lead to a high rate of injury.  Like there's lots of rugby style tackles that aren't the hip drop swing tackle, notably because one of the major rugby leagues banned that one for the same reason the NFL banned it.

The knock-on effect is likely to be that ballcarriers will gain a few more yards when a defender catches them from behind, but football will survive.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

22 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

It's not that simple at break-neck speed, and a bigger stronger guy might simply break through your attempt to tangle their legs up without an extra body on their back slowing them down. 

Well then maybe defenses need to get bigger guys? The NFL said this type of tackle happens once a game. I think people are being way too dramatic with how this will impact games. 

• Like 1

I mean, almost any hip drop tackle in the NFL could be made legal if you just "roll sideways" after wrapping up.

The problem with the HIp-Drop tackle, and the officiating point, is entirely "you land on the back of their legs with most of your body weight" so just don't do that.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Disagree. Defenses for a long time simply got a guy down however they could. You can go back, and watch game game from the 80's or 90's. And that was even with tackling drills in the offseasons. As for the video, I can appreciate the sentiment but it’s one more subjective thing that referees have to make calls on. These tackles in the video are all similar enough that it feels like a big ask for officials, which are already under scrutiny as it is. It's going to be hard to convince me that the 60+ year old official with cataracts is going to be able to identify what is or is not a hip-drop tackle, and what instance of a player going down in agony was or was not exacerbated by a group tackle. This is just playing with fire. 

You’re conflating different things. I don’t think refs are good enough to spot the difference all of the time. But I do think this is a specific type of tackle that is entirely avoidable with better technique. 

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

You guys do know defenses weren’t always using this tackle form right? I get the criticisms about how it’ll be enforced, but there are legitimate concerns about how hip dropping has crept into the game more and more and it’s high propensity to cause injury.

Genuinely, this is worth your time if you think players are accidentally hip dropping. Rugby league got rid of the tackle, knee injuries massively decreased, defenses got better at form tackling and better overall.

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Well then maybe defenses need to get bigger guys? The NFL said this type of tackle happens once a game. I think people are being way too dramatic with how this will impact games. 

Gee, why didn't the NFL think of that??? How has the league not hired you yet??? :)

Yes it maybe happens once a game, and the NFL is now making a mountain out of a molehill about it. If they were really concerned about preventing injuries they wouldn't be looking to expand the product to 18 games, so I really don't buy the sincerity of the NFL here. It more-so comes off as another breadcrumb to further push the game in the direction of scoring, because that leads to eyeballs, which leads to more money. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

47 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

DBs aren’t strong enough to hip drop tight ends, this is such a dumb argument. People just don’t know what this tackle is.

1704104856642?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=yb8P

If they're willing to attempt to make the a tackle, any tackle in a split second decision they're not always thinking about how to get someone down, just getting someone down. Especially if it's from an angle, and trying to prevent someone from getting past a marker. They're certainly not thinking about their height, and weight qualifications, and deciding which tackle will work best for which player on the opposing team in the blink of an eye. It's not a dumb argument if one stops acting obtuse. If you don't think a defensive back has never attempted a hip drop tackle on a tight end, and been successful at it in the NFL, then you've haven't been paying attention all this time. Ryan Clark as a former defensive back was just going off about this lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

35 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

You’re conflating different things. I don’t think refs are good enough to spot the difference all of the time. But I do think this is a specific type of tackle that is entirely avoidable with better technique. 

It's not conflating, it's recognizing what a stacking effect this could have. The crackdown can be stupid for multiple reasons.