New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

You can’t lead with your head.

You can’t horse collar.

You can’t face mask.

You can’t have forcible contact to the upper torso even when you don’t lead with your head and have flush chest contact.

You can’t get your head across the body.

You can’t tackle with your head behind.

You can’t hit too high.

You can’t go low on a quarterback.

You can’t land with your full body on a quarterback.

Running backs and receivers can violently throw a club at the face with a “stiff arm” and lower their head like a battering ram.

Yeah this league has jumped the shark.

• Like 5

So let me get this straight. If you are trying to sack the QB you cannot:

• Tackle above the shoulders
  • Tackle below the knees
  • Use your body to drag the QB down
  • Use your body to lay on top of the QB

How are you supposed to sack the QB, besides pushing them over?

• Like 2

This is a tough one. There are seemingly a lot of injuries that occur as a result of the hip drop tackle but at the same time, there aren't many ways to tackle a person from behind. Definitely a tough spot here unless there's an angle I'm missing

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So let me get this straight. If you are trying to sack the QB you cannot:

• Tackle above the shoulders
  • Tackle below the knees
  • Use your body to drag the QB down
  • Use your body to lay on top of the QB

How are you supposed to sack the QB, besides pushing them over?

How’s anyone supposed to tackle Josh Allen or any other big and athletic quarterback or someone incredibly elusive like Lamar? Serious question.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I honestly wasn't too concerned about this rule till I saw this video. I didn't want the change but I thought the refs would mostly call obvious examples where injuries were likely to occur. This video has me CONCERNED......

• Like 6

This has to be one of the most idiotic if not most idiotic rule changes in the past 20 years. Can’t go high, can’t go low, can’t wrap around the waist and tackle. What a joke…

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is a tough one. There are seemingly a lot of injuries that occur as a result of the hip drop tackle but at the same time, there aren't many ways to tackle a person from behind. Definitely a tough spot here unless there's an angle I'm missing

It shouldn't be tough. Here's the reality: This is football. People are going to get hurt. It's unfortunate that it may happen, but if we try to alleviate every possible scenario that will involve a risk for injury, then what are we playing? We're barely playing what I would call football nowadays...and we're trending in the wrong direction still. These new rules are pathetic and are ruining the game. Who TF is deciding that we need more flags...more referee involvement...in these games? (rhetorical, becuase the answer is these rich *** who've never played a down in their entire lives)

Disclaimer: Not attacking you. Kind of sounds like I am after reading the post, just fyi.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

I honestly wasn't too concerned about this rule till I saw this video. I didn't want the change but I thought the refs would mostly call obvious examples where injuries were likely to occur. This video has me CONCERNED......

I had the same exact thought...and one of the videos (the Ward tackle on Pollard a couple of years ago) I knew  would be the type of call they were trying to change. I was fine with that. 

But once a game? I mean, 300 penalties called for this is a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How’s anyone supposed to tackle Josh Allen or any other big and athletic quarterback or someone incredibly elusive like Lamar? Serious question.

Well with Lamar you just wait for him to get caught from behind.

With Josh Allen, you just pray he trips and falls while trucking you.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well with Lamar you just wait for him to get caught from behind.

With Josh Allen, you just pray he trips and falls while trucking you.

While lowering his head like a battering Ram after a violent forearm to the head/neck region? Sounds safe.

• Like 1

Imagine John Lynch and Lawrence Taylor playing today? They’d be absolute villains.

Sacking the quarterback is already almost illegal.

Now tackling in the open field in space is illegal.