New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

I was watching a game during the regular season with a friend who doesn't watch the NFL. I felt like every play or two I was explaining a new rule. Even little things like offensive/defensive holding, illegal contact, pass interference, illegal touching, rules for when the ball is tipped at the line, the QB being in or out of the pocket- rules that are called all the time and I can easily see why a new fan would have a really difficult time following the game. Adding the hip-drop tackle gives me a headache.

Most NFL fans wouldn't even know the difference between a lot of those.

I mean the actual XFL kickoff rule is really good.  It's fun to watch and there's no greater chance of injury than like "a normal offense vs. defense play."  The problem with the traditional kickoff is that "guys running full speed with a 20 yard head start get into big collisions" which this solves.

Eventually they should go to a "attempt to retain possession with a 4th and whatever from wherever" option since that's more interesting than an onside kick.

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I will be sad to see the end of the Fair Catch Kick.  Every 7 years or so a team gets to try one.

Am I mixing up the ancient free kick play with the super recent fair catch on kickoffs rule?

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The NFL makes $10B a year and is still too cheap to set up and automated game clock system.

But yeah ban those hip drop tackles that's the low hanging fruit here.

The fact that HS Football went to this in Ohio half a decade ago warms my heart when I compare the two

• Like 2

I really wish some of the judgement calls like this were less penal.  Sucks to see 15 yards and auto 1st down on a judgement call that after the fact isn’t the right call.  In fact I wouldn’t mind an “escalating” call on this of 5 yards on first offense, 10 on second, then 15 and auto 1st.

The biggest surprise of all of this to me is that despite defenses getting absolutely obliterated every year with new rules on how they can't play football (yes I'm aware I complained about the hip drop tackles when Mark Andrews got injured. I've since changed my mind on it), offenses are still worse than they've ever been. I don't understand how that's possible.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I really wish some of the judgement calls like this were less penal.  Sucks to see 15 yards and auto 1st down on a judgement call that after the fact isn’t the right call.  In fact I wouldn’t mind an “escalating” call on this of 5 yards on first offense, 10 on second, then 15 and auto 1st.

Or just a behind the scenes quick review from the booth to reverse the call and get it right. It already happens sometimes. Why can't they just implement it for all flags thrown? Those guys in the booth can tell within 30 seconds whether or not the call is correct. 

Probably a whole can of worms in there somewhere with everything being a judgment call. Some calls are just blatantly obviously wrong though. Our luck they'd have ex refs who screwed up the calls to begin with as the guys in the instant review booth lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Or just a behind the scenes quick review from the booth to reverse the call and get it right. It already happens sometimes. Why can't they just implement it for all flags thrown? Those guys in the booth can tell within 30 seconds whether or not the call is correct. 

Probably a whole can of worms in there somewhere with everything being a judgment call. Some calls are just blatantly obviously wrong though. Our luck they'd have ex refs who screwed up the calls to begin with as the guys in the instant review booth lol.

This is what I’m kinda worried about.  And I think to the year that PI was reviewable, lots of rumors that they intentionally weren’t overturning them because they didn’t want judgement plays reviewed, just the back and white calls.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:58 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

I think the number of teams that tried, unsuccessfully, to run the play this year means that the "Tush Push" probably won't get banned.  It just happened that the Eagles were uncommonly good at it due to personnel.

The onside kick proposal is dumb. If a time is trying to make a big comeback, it hampers their ability to do so if they're only allowed to do it in the 4th quarter.

Don't care for the hip drop tackle proposal either. Defenders are handcuffed as it is. We don't need to handcuff them any further

• Like 1