New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

57 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is gonna be reversed next year after one of these flags determines the outcome of a game.

Except it won't. The NFL doesn't care about the fans or the integrity of the game. Once they've opened this box, it's impossible to put it back in. Why? Because if they get rid of the rule and then someone gets hurt, there's a big problem legally (I would think).

This was such a stupid decision to make. I have a feeling that with the current trends, I'm seriously not going to be watching football in like 10-15 years. It's literally gonna be flag.

• Like 1

I think it’s a rule which will be hard/impossible to enforce, but the idea players can’t tackle without dropping their hip is dumb. It’s way harder to ride and land on the back of someone’s legs. Players do it to maximise impact and not to make their life easier. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

While lowering his head like a battering Ram after a violent forearm to the head/neck region? Sounds safe.

Well, we don't care about defenders getting hurt, silly! Just offensive skill players. Offensive players can do literally whatever they want. Lineup offsides every play? Sure. Hold every play? Absolutely. Grab your facemask and yank you down? Clean as a whistle. Lower your helmet directly into someone's sternum? What a play!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:
3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

With Josh Allen, you just pray he trips and falls while trucking you.

While lowering his head like a battering Ram after a violent forearm to the head/neck region? Sounds safe.

"15 yard penalty, on the defense, unnecessary roughness helmet to helmet contact, automatic 1st down"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Except it won't. The NFL doesn't care about the fans or the integrity of the game. Once they've opened this box, it's impossible to put it back in. Why? Because if they get rid of the rule and then someone gets hurt, there's a big problem legally (I would think).

This was such a stupid decision to make. I have a feeling that with the current trends, I'm seriously not going to be watching football in like 10-15 years. It's literally gonna be flag.

I would think the only legal challenge would be if the NFLPA was in support of the decision to ban something, then the NFL un-banned it. In this instance, the NFLPA objected to this rule being passed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

"15 yard penalty, on the defense, unnecessary roughness helmet to helmet contact, automatic 1st down"

I’m picturing what we defensive coaches call “tripping over the corpse” tackling that ends in a defensive penalty as well as being lambasted in the film room.

• Like 1

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

It was also a unanimous vote...which the NFLPA itself did not endorse lol. Kind of crazy. 

The on field product has to become unbearable. I mean, defensive players just halting in the middle of a play. Defensive team just absolutely stopping when a running back gets to the second level or something and then just being like, "yeah, I didn't know how to bring him down legally". You'll need many more plays like the Arik Armstead one against Dallas where he basically just stopped and didn't go for a sack because he was afraid of getting a penalty 

• Like 3

I can’t wait for the first 3rd or 4th and 8 tackle 2 yards short of the sticks to turn into a penalty first down leading to a 15 yard penalty that beats someone on a last second field goal in the playoffs on an untimed down.

Just now, goldfishwars said:

I think it’s a rule which will be hard/impossible to enforce, but the idea players can’t tackle without dropping their hip is dumb. It’s way harder to ride and land on the back of someone’s legs. Players do it to maximise impact and not to make their life easier. 

I would LOVE for like a kinesiologist to come in and demonstrate how TF it's remotely possible to even tackle. Like...ok, fine. Ban stuff. But then come in and show actual video clips of these penalties and show us HOW people are supposed to react in these situations. Because I'm legitimately serious when I say that I don't think it's kinestetically possible to make tackles based on the rules in place in a lot of instances. Instances that change outcomes of games. Change outcomes of seasons. Change outcomes of legacies.

The NFL should be ashamed of themselves...but they won't be. They don't care.

• Like 1