New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the number of teams that tried, unsuccessfully, to run the play this year means that the "Tush Push" probably won't get banned.  It just happened that the Eagles were uncommonly good at it due to personnel.

I saw an article on it and I wish I could find it again, but it went into what the big advantage for the Eagles was on it, and it’s not really the personnel.

First, they get into it and snap really quickly from it.  Most other teams that tried it took time to let everyone get down and set before snapping.  By doing this (and the ended up getting called for it a little later in the season) the defenders are still getting into their stance, and the Eagles OL is rocking forward into their stance so it’s somewhat like using momentum to help.

Additionally the slight difference is normally on a QB sneak, QB’s are taught to wait for the surge to happen then go to the side that opens up.  Using the rugby like surge move he goes right up the back of his center, which is why he needs both hands on the ground.  This puts him on the pile, with the push from the two WR’s, and the QB can roll off the back of the C to the side that there’s more space.

Lastly, and likely most important, in rugby what happens with the scrum is often players lose track of where the ball is.  In most traditional QB sneaks the QB is on top of the pile to show that ball crossed the line to gain.  In the case of the Tush Push, Hurts (or the QB for anyone else) is in the pile, which means of you can just get the surge of the pile past the line to gain, the ref needs to make the assumption that the QB and the ball made it too.  And since it would be incredibly tough to overturn that call, it ensures you can maybe get away with a few times you didn’t actually get there.

I suspect that what’s going to happen is other teams will keep trying to emulate this move, and slowly we’re going to see some starting QB and OL injuries happen on this play and teams will start to go away from doing this style play.  And I would imagine that’s why teams aren’t eager to remove it from the game, they see it as a high risk play from an injury standpoint.

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

This is gonna be reversed next year after one of these flags determines the outcome of a game.

I don't know that it will play a big enough role on the whole. I think there were like 15 horse collar tackles all year last season. I imagine that we will see a similar number of hip drop tackle penalties and if that is the case, i don't think it'll get reverse if one decides a game.