New rules proposed by NFL & competition committee; Hip-drop tackles officially banned

RaidersAreOne

It's going to be an absolute **** show next year as they're going to tell officials to throw the flag even if they're not sure it meets the hip drop criteria.

This seems like something that'll burn the Lions and they'll quietly tweak the rule next off-season. 

The big question is if refs will call rugby roll tackles as illegal.  I don't think that is intent, but they are so similar it will be difficult for refs.

That would be huge.   That was a huge part of eliminating helmet tackles as illustraed by the Pete Carroll video.

When I coached middle school we switched to this style when all concussion craze hit.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This makes me feel for the refs because this is just another subjective call on the pile of subjective calls that they have to deal with. No way will they be able to officiate this correctly.

• Like 4

With so many of these rules there is always a huge overreaction in way it is officiated. 

Then one day, nobody calls it that way anymore. 

It's so weird.   We had an offensive holding totally allowed year.  A no holding at all year.   A DB contact year.  Last year DBs could contact like crazy. 

A no land on QB at all year.  A never touch helmet of QB year. And so on.  

Sometimes it is even first half of a year we will do it one way and second half another way.

13 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

as mentioned in the tweet, it will mostly impact bad RTP, Intentional grounding calls

It'll impact a very few of the bad RTP calls. The ones that are purely objective. If it impacts 10 over the course of the year, I'd be shocked. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It'll impact a very few of the bad RTP calls. The ones that are purely objective. If it impacts 10 over the course of the year, I'd be shocked. 

It’s reviewable DPI all over again 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

It shouldn't be tough. Here's the reality: This is football. People are going to get hurt. It's unfortunate that it may happen, but if we try to alleviate every possible scenario that will involve a risk for injury, then what are we playing? We're barely playing what I would call football nowadays...and we're trending in the wrong direction still. These new rules are pathetic and are ruining the game. Who TF is deciding that we need more flags...more referee involvement...in these games? (rhetorical, becuase the answer is these rich *** who've never played a down in their entire lives)

Disclaimer: Not attacking you. Kind of sounds like I am after reading the post, just fyi.

I don't disagree with your thoughts. People know when they sign up to play ball, there are a lot of very bad things that could happen and accept that responsibility. I don't like the way it's going either but I'm looking at it from the league's perspective. The only things I like about new rule changes are doing what they can to reduce CTE but aside from that, it should be fair game

This is why they get paid millions of dollars - there is an inherent risk to playing this game at a high level, and this is an outcome that could happen. Trying to legislate it out of the game is only going to weaken the product.

Oh well. This should be fun to watch.

• Like 3

From what I understand the thing that's illegal is specifically- wrapping up the player, dropping your weight, and spinning so that you land on them.  So the adjudication standard and also the "what to avoid when playing" standard is both "don't land on the lower legs of the guy you tackled."  I don't think that's too hard to work around, like "avoid landing on people" is also part of the roughing the QB rule.

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

With so many of these rules there is always a huge overreaction in way it is officiated. 

Then one day, nobody calls it that way anymore. 

It's so weird.   We had an offensive holding totally allowed year.  A no holding at all year.   A DB contact year.  Last year DBs could contact like crazy. 

A no land on QB at all year.  A never touch helmet of QB year. And so on.  

Sometimes it is even first half of a year we will do it one way and second half another way.

They called more offensive offsides this year than they had the prior decade combined. It saw one spike because of Kelce's hand on the brotherly shove, and it saw a further spike with the attention the Toney call got late in the year.

The league is definitely very, very reactionary in how they officiate.

Like 99% of the time the rules are fine. It's the enforcement that isn't. This will be the same, IMO.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

They called more offensive offsides this year than they had the prior decade combined. It saw one spike because of Kelce's hand on the brotherly shove, and it saw a further spike with the attention the Toney call got late in the year.

The league is definitely very, very reactionary in how they officiate.

Like 99% of the time the rules are fine. It's the enforcement that isn't. This will be the same, IMO.

When they say 'emphasis' look out.  Something is going to be called goofy.  

• Like 2

They’re trying to stop defenders from immediately dropping their weight once they make contact. Players were dropping their weight directly right behind players legs to get them to stop. The result of that was causing serious injuries, so it should be banned.

• Like 1