NFL plans to play Christmas Day Doubleheader (Wednesday)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

lol no it isn’t. 

Agree to disagree. I can't watch it. No defense. Zero effort for most of the game. Blatant traveling and stuff. Offenses are mostly just dudes shooting 3's and never actually running any sort of set plays.

Not appealing to me whatsoever. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Prefacing anything with “in my opinion” is redundant and unnecessary. “Sucks” and “blows” are understood to be opinion.

Better product is subjective, as are viewership and revenue in a true global market that didn’t exist before ~15 years ago when Dirk and Yao entered the game and ushered it in after a handful of dudes ushered it in but were clear outliers.

When guys like Giannis, Joker, and Luka are your premier players, of course revenue is going to peak, but not because of anything here in this country, which per the OP, is essentially my point.

Not because of anything in this country is again wrong though. The current TV deals say a lot, but this article tells the story

https://www.sportspromedia.com/insights/analysis/nba-media-rights-explainer-tnt-espn-nbc-netflix-amazon-apple-streaming/

The NBA is behind the NFL, obviously - but it's easily the second most popular league in the U.S. and easily the most challenging basketball league in the world (hence those players coming here to play in it).

It's a popular sport/league that a lot of people enjoy and is continuing to grow and gain popularity, but obviously not for everyone.

Being this late really sucks, especially with Byes being over.  I gotta think that two out of the four teams will play the following Thursday night game while the other two play the previous Thursday night game to try to balance out the rest part.  

Knowing the league, I could see them putting the whole NFCE into the Christmas games, making it easier to set up the opponents either the week before or after, especially since they love late divisional matchups.

Something along the lines of 

Christmas Day/Night

Game 1  Washington vs New York

Game 2  Philly vs Dallas.

Dallas plays the Giants the following Thursday.

Washington plays the Eagles the TNF game the week prior.

What sucks is that the college football playoff is on the third Saturday of December so now they are killing their own farm league. If anything, you move those Saturday NFL Network games to Wednesday (Xmas) and then make them play on the ensuing Sunday or MNF. You'd still have three full days of rest, like a Thursday game. So instead of playing the previous Saturday/Sunday, four teams scheduled for Xmas get an 3 days off preceding, and then play 3 games in 11 or 12 days ensuing. Also, Xmas Eve is technically open as well, so you could do a Tuesday afternoon game if necessary to knock off the three NFL Network games, but that's excessive.

Edited by WheatieMan
  • Like 1