NFL plans to play Christmas Day Doubleheader (Wednesday)

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I could be wrong but don't you live in Ohio? Very bizarre...2016 was one of the most watched finals ever.

It’s bizarre that I live in Ohio and hate the NBA? Why?

2016 is third all time and a fairly clear outlier with MJ rounding out the top 5 the other 4 games.

13 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Jordan had ratings higher in the 90s.

It's always been a star driven league, and ratings have been fine. 2020 was low because of the bubble and it not feeling like "normal" basketball, coupled with LeBron and the super team Warriors not being in the finals anymore.

What about the other 25 years since MJ left?

Regardless, I’m allowed to hate on the NBA or any other thing I want for pretty much any reason I want. It’s just not for me. Fake fights, fake tough guys, 3 pointer or a layup/dunk with little to no ball movement.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s bizarre that I live in Ohio and hate the NBA? Why?

2016 is third all time and a fairly clear outlier with MJ rounding out the top 5 the other 4 games.

What about the other 25 years since MJ left?

Regardless, I’m allowed to hate on the NBA or any other thing I want for pretty much any reason I want. It’s just not for me. Fake fights, fake tough guys, 3 pointer or a layup/dunk with little to no ball movement.

Oh no not bizarre that you hate the NBA. Bizarre that you live here where the 2016 finals was a pretty big deal and still falsely claimed ratings have been declining.

Its been more of an ebb and flow, and you prove my point with MJ - ratings declined between him in the finals and LeBron being in the finals, so its not a linear thing. Its all about who the biggest stars are...hell the ratings declined between the two Bulls threepeats.

Jordan is likely the biggest icon the sports world has seen - not shocking that ratings would take a hit after him. But overall the NBA is alive and well, and while ratings haven't been great in recent finals, that's more about COVID and star power than anything.

For reference the NBA surpassed $10 billion in revenue for the first time ever in 2022.

33 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Oh no not bizarre that you hate the NBA. Bizarre that you live here where the 2016 finals was a pretty big deal and still falsely claimed ratings have been declining.

Its been more of an ebb and flow, and you prove my point with MJ - ratings declined between him in the finals and LeBron being in the finals, so its not a linear thing. Its all about who the biggest stars are...hell the ratings declined between the two Bulls threepeats.

Jordan is likely the biggest icon the sports world has seen - not shocking that ratings would take a hit after him. But overall the NBA is alive and well, and while ratings haven't been great in recent finals, that's more about COVID and star power than anything.

For reference the NBA surpassed $10 billion in revenue for the first time ever in 2022.

i-dont-care-care.gif

Throw in the international market that wasn’t there before the last decade and that we are 4 years removed from Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How are we 3 pages in without a single person hating on Christmas being on a Wednesday? I'd love to blame the NFL, but Christmas needs to be on either a Friday or weekend.

Counterpoint:

As a new-ish federal employee without any vacation time stockpiled, we are an executive order away from a Tuesday Christmas Eve day off followed by every other employee with leave calling off that Monday through the Thursday and Friday that week, meaning I can login and work hard Monday then wait it out Thursday and Friday “on call” working and not burning time off.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

i-dont-care-care.gif

Throw in the international market that wasn’t there before the last decade and that we are 4 years removed from Covid.

and like I said, 2022 was the most revenue the NBA has ever had. Definitely not an indication that it "sucks".....totally fine that's your opinion, but not at all factual.

30 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

and like I said, 2022 was the most revenue the NBA has ever had. Definitely not an indication that it "sucks".....totally fine that's your opinion, but not at all factual.

This is shocking to me because the current NBA product is garbage and unwatchable.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Prefacing anything with “in my opinion” is redundant and unnecessary. “Sucks” and “blows” are understood to be opinion.

Better product is subjective, as are viewership and revenue in a true global market that didn’t exist before ~15 years ago when Dirk and Yao entered the game and ushered it in after a handful of dudes ushered it in but were clear outliers.

When guys like Giannis, Joker, and Luka are your premier players, of course revenue is going to peak, but not because of anything here in this country, which per the OP, is essentially my point.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:33 AM, MWil23 said:

Who cares the NBA sucks

When they decided to allow palming the ball....eliminated over the back and travelling (more than two steps)....the game has evolved into playground bully ball. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

When they decided to allow palming the ball....eliminated over the back and travelling (more than two steps)....the game has evolved into playground bully ball. 

Same with all of the defensive rules and hand checking. MJ would go for 50+ a game in this league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Don't forget the 6th foul. I was out after that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This is such an ignorant and judgmental comment that denigrates an entire generation. Don't give in to the trend. You could be so much better than that. 

</rant> 

Saying the NBA sucks with no real argument as to why is also ignorant and judgmental 

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. I’ll let the Browns and/or Buckeyes ruin almost any other holiday or holiday weekend for me starting with Labor Day, but Christmas is where I draw the line. I’m not watching albeit I’m sure plenty will.

The league should evaluate the concept of “scarcity” as having value as opposed to complete saturation.