11 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Nope, not even close:

Patterson
3rd all time KR avg: 29.3
1st all time TDs: 9

Hester
t71st all time KR avg: 24.9
t9-18 all time TDs: 5

In no universe can Hester sniff Patterson's jock in KR.

They keep making new rules to help returners, these rules didn't exist when Hester was blowing by guys for 101 yards at a time.

12 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Nope, not even close:

Patterson
3rd all time KR avg: 29.3
1st all time TDs: 9

Hester
t71st all time KR avg: 24.9
t9-18 all time TDs: 5

In no universe can Hester sniff Patterson's jock in KR.

Well Patterson’s KR average is from returning 260 kicks from 9 yards deep in the endzone to the 20, costing the team 5 yards from not just kneeling. And you must’ve missed the part where every team refused to kick or punt to Hester in his prime but go off sis 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

They keep making new rules to help returners, these rules didn't exist when Hester was blowing by guys for 101 yards at a time.

Objectively false.

2009: NFL bans wedge blocking of 3 or more players
2011: Kick return spot moved up from the 30 to the 35
2018: NFL bans wedge blocking of 2 or more players

You'd think there would be a change in KR average if what you said is true.

2006 (Hester's rookie year): 22.5
2010: 22.3
2015: 23.5
2017: 21.7
2020: 22.5

The data is a bit noisy, but KR average seems pretty stable around 22.5 since Hester's days.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Well Patterson’s KR average is from returning 260 kicks from 9 yards deep in the endzone to the 20, costing the team 5 yards from not just kneeling. And you must’ve missed the part where every team refused to kick or punt to Hester in his prime but go off sis 

Thanks for your contribution

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xmad said:

What's funny is devin hester made a HOF career out of punt returns. Cordarrelle made a career out of kickoff returns with zero punt returns to his name.

With the new rules I think Devin would be an even better kickoff returner. 

Hester's the better player though at his best Cordalle was a gadget offensive player whereas Hester was legitimate no.2 WR for a second. 

Either way can't wait for Corddarrelle to make it to the hall of fame.

Patterson's problem is that most his career people thought he was a WR but then Arthur Smith figured out he was a RB at age 30.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:27 PM, AngusMcFife said:

I wonder if the new kickoff rules will actually hamper Patterson, who is the greatest KR in NFL history hands down.

Patterson was elite because could get up to top speed after sprinting 25 yards and make cuts while maintaining that speed. The new kickoff looks like the returner will need to use more stop/start, quick acceleration moves like a PR. You won't get as full a run up the new way. 

Maybe I'll be wrong because I haven't seen enough of these returns. But the best kick returner of the previous system might not quite have as good a skill set for the new KR system.

Aside from being completely wrong about being the best return man in NFL history (that's Hester and it's not close)...this definitely echoes my thoughts.

I'm really not sure that the new rules will be set up to benefit him in the same way as the previous formats he's made his name under.  It's probably going to be a very different skillset that thrives, and it's also the sort of skillset that an aged Pattersson is probably losing the most juice from.  Where he never even really had an overabundance of it in the first place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Aside from being completely wrong about being the best return man in NFL history (that's Hester and it's not close)...this definitely echoes my thoughts.

I'm really not sure that the new rules will be set up to benefit him in the same way as the previous formats he's made his name under.  It's probably going to be a very different skillset that thrives, and it's also the sort of skillset that an aged Pattersson is probably losing the most juice from.  Where he never even really had an overabundance of it in the first place.

Never said he's the best return man, he's the best KR. KR and PR are two different positions.

• Like 1

I actually really like this signing for Pittsburgh.  It could be a sneaky good move, if he still has something left, with the kickoff rules.  A dangerous KR game should be really effective for a team constructed the way they play.  

21 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Objectively false.

2009: NFL bans wedge blocking of 3 or more players
2011: Kick return spot moved up from the 30 to the 35
2018: NFL bans wedge blocking of 2 or more players

You'd think there would be a change in KR average if what you said is true.

2006 (Hester's rookie year): 22.5
2010: 22.3
2015: 23.5
2017: 21.7
2020: 22.5

The data is a bit noisy, but KR average seems pretty stable around 22.5 since Hester's days.

I think you should watch some film and compare the two guys because you're subjectively wrong.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:00 AM, VigilantZombie said:

with how the game has changed , it's not really much use to compare different generations stats ,  but it helps to get an idea.

Patterson should help the steelers ST but he does have gum chewer to follow orders from so who knows^_^

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:45 PM, Tugboat said:

It's probably going to be a very different skillset that thrives, and it's also the sort of skillset that an aged Pattersson is probably losing the most juice from.  Where he never even really had an overabundance of it in the first place.

What skillset is that? Shiftiness?