Steelers sign RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson

RaidersAreOne

I wonder if the new kickoff rules will actually hamper Patterson, who is the greatest KR in NFL history hands down.

Patterson was elite because could get up to top speed after sprinting 25 yards and make cuts while maintaining that speed. The new kickoff looks like the returner will need to use more stop/start, quick acceleration moves like a PR. You won't get as full a run up the new way. 

Maybe I'll be wrong because I haven't seen enough of these returns. But the best kick returner of the previous system might not quite have as good a skill set for the new KR system.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I wonder if the new kickoff rules will actually hamper Patterson, who is the greatest KR in NFL history hands down.

Patterson was elite because could get up to top speed after sprinting 25 yards and make cuts while maintaining that speed. The new kickoff looks like the returner will need to use more stop/start, quick acceleration moves like a PR. You won't get as full a run up the new way. 

Maybe I'll be wrong because I haven't seen enough of these returns. But the best kick returner of the previous system might not quite have as good a skill set for the new KR system.

That would be Devin Hester.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yeah, I think short area quickness will be a big benefit for returners now, more than top speed. A Tank Dell or Kadarius Toney vs Devon Achane. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

That would be Devin Hester.

Nope, not even close:

Patterson
3rd all time KR avg: 29.3
1st all time TDs: 9

Hester
t71st all time KR avg: 24.9
t9-18 all time TDs: 5

In no universe can Hester sniff Patterson's jock in KR.

Edited by AngusMcFife
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Nope, not even close:

Patterson
3rd all time KR avg: 29.3
1st all time TDs: 9

Hester
t71st all time KR avg: 24.9
t9-18 all time TDs: 5

In no universe can Hester sniff Patterson's jock in KR.

What's funny is devin hester made a HOF career out of punt returns. Cordarrelle made a career out of kickoff returns with zero punt returns to his name.

With the new rules I think Devin would be an even better kickoff returner. 

Hester's the better player though at his best Cordalle was a gadget offensive player whereas Hester was legitimate no.2 WR for a second. 

Either way can't wait for Corddarrelle to make it to the hall of fame.