CB Tre White to sign with Rams

Forge

1 hour ago, Soko said:

For the casual NFL fan? Camren Curl and Earnest Jones? Absolutely no names, lol. The sophomores too, acting like they’re household names is hilarious.

Which teams have worse talent defensively than the Rams right now?

EDIT: Which isn’t near the insult you think it is, btw. Ja’Whuan Bentley, Jon Jones, Christian Barmore, Jahlani Tavai, these are aren’t guys I’d expect the average NFL fan to recognize as good players. Even the FF regular probably isn’t super keen on them, but they’re all good. They just don’t have notoriety, and certainly aren’t household names.

That would mean Ernest Jones is better than a few household names then...which speaks to a disconnect between someone knowing their names and how talented the defense is (which makes sense).

I think in terms of talent were probably around 20 right now. If we hit on a DT and edge rusher, I'll expect a top 16 defense next year.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

That would mean Ernest Jones is better than a few household names then...which speaks to a disconnect between someone knowing their names and how talented the defense is (which makes sense).

I think in terms of talent were probably around 20 right now. If we hit on a DT and edge rusher, I'll expect a top 16 defense next year.

Which ones are worse? I legitimately am not seeing a case over anyone but maybe Arizona.

41 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Carolina. 
Washington. 
Chargers were burnt. 
Tn 

Gmen 

All those teams have studs. Derrick Brown, Jaycee Horn, Da’Ron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Derwin James, Khalil Mack, LJ Sneed, Jeff Simmons, Dexter Lawrence, Brian Burns. 

who cares what the casual nfl fan thinks?
the casual nfl fan plus these so called experts thought the rams will end up with a top 10 pick this year.
the casual nfl fan thinks his team always wins the super bowl in the off season. and ends up with another top 10 pick.

i bet sean mcvay and les snead know more about football compared to casual nfl fans.
can't wait to see ernest jones getting a big contract just to read all these future comments on the news board.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Soko said:

All those teams have studs. Derrick Brown, Jaycee Horn, Da’Ron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Derwin James, Khalil Mack, LJ Sneed, Jeff Simmons, Dexter Lawrence, Brian Burns. 

But they play baddddddddddd.

Rooting so so so so hard for him to come back and be anywhere close to where he was pre injuries. I’ve missed Tre in the field the last couple of years. He’s an awesome dude and was really special player. Not a bad thing to say about him.

36 minutes ago, Soko said:

Coolio, that wasn’t the question though.

Ok you’re 100% right. But you that doesn’t really matter though. Washington has had great talent on that d and it’s gone to waste. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Ok you’re 100% right. But you that doesn’t really matter though. Washington has had great talent on that d and it’s gone to waste. 

Agreed. Talent doesn’t always manifest into results on the field. 

But the initial conversation was about the names the Rams have on defense, to which I’d say none that are household names. I asked about which defenses have less talent, not which defense do you expect to be worse. Even then, I’m not really sure because so much has worked around Donald, that I’m not sure what to expect about of the LAR defensively.

5 hours ago, Soko said:

Agreed. Talent doesn’t always manifest into results on the field. 

But the initial conversation was about the names the Rams have on defense, to which I’d say none that are household names. I asked about which defenses have less talent, not which defense do you expect to be worse. Even then, I’m not really sure because so much has worked around Donald, that I’m not sure what to expect about of the LAR defensively.

I think you’re right. I barely know who the names on the Ram’s defense are. But as you said, it doesn’t mean it’s an insult. 

If anything, I remain impressed by the rams coaching staff for (usually) turning the team into something greater than the sum of its parts. 

17 hours ago, Soko said:

Two things about that:

First - not being a household name does not mean someone is less talented. Kobie Turner played better than some of the guys on that list last year, for example. Byron Young had a very similar season to Will Anderson - do we just say Anderson is more talented because he was drafted higher? If that's the case then you really are asking who has the defense with the most highly drafted players.

Second - talent that plays poorly is a bad, bad, bad argument - its like the last  few years when Chargers fans always said they had a top 5 roster.

I cited the Rams players I cited for a reason - they are all "plus players" or "pro bowl caliber" players (whichever phrase you prefer). Here are the teams that I don't think have superior talent on defense than the Rams do (note the wording - I think a few of these teams are comparable):

Cardinals, Seahawks, Colts, Texans, Titans, Jags, Bengals, Bills, Patriots, Raiders, Broncos, Commanders, Giants, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers

20 hours ago, Soko said:

Which ones are worse? I legitimately am not seeing a case over anyone but maybe Arizona.

I answered above, but here's the rub:

Not only are we not going to agree on this because of the "household names" argument - there's not really a way around it, which is why its a bad argument. If the Rams defense ends up top 10 next year, you would just say "well they outperformed their talent" - this is why talent over performance is such a bad argument. Great example of this notion is that Will Anderson, Byron Young and Kobie Turner should all be viewed similarly until one of them actually outperforms the others.