2024 MOCK DRAFTS

Karnage84

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Cool. Still doesn't take away from my point.

We will all have to agree to disagree. It's good to know schools harm themselves and withhold info from all teams and hurt their prospects: I learn something new daily. 

I get what you’re saying, but I’m not a 100% certain they are going to hurt themselves. I would assume they would more than likely upsell to the people they don’t know as well. Then give the more nitty gritty details to those they have good relationships with. This is the case in my business as well which is software. If you’re new and don’t know who to talk to, the software is the greatest thing since slice bread. As you get to know people, you find the issues both pros and cons. Are they hurting themselves by doing this?

• Like 1

Its wild to me to think a scout is being deceptive when doing a documentary about their job.  They aren't talking about a specific player or even a specific college coach.  they are just talking about what they do on a daily basis and what their work week looks like.  If they say that 50% of their job is building relationships with coaches so they can have access to guys there is literally zero reason to not believe them.  

Are there situations where it is less important than others, sure. But if these guys say its important for them to get information and they feel they get more information from some coaches than others because of their relationship, I see no reason to doubt that.  I am sure the Ravens had a pretty good idea on the character of any UM player prior to this year because of the Harbaugh connection.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Its wild to me to think a scout is being deceptive when doing a documentary about their job.  They aren't talking about a specific player or even a specific college coach.  they are just talking about what they do on a daily basis and what their work week looks like.  If they say that 50% of their job is building relationships with coaches so they can have access to guys there is literally zero reason to not believe them.  

Are there situations where it is less important than others, sure. But if these guys say its important for them to get information and they feel they get more information from some coaches than others because of their relationship, I see no reason to doubt that.  I am sure the Ravens had a pretty good idea on the character of any UM player prior to this year because of the Harbaugh connection.  

So you are saying the Ravens and UM are committing collusion against rest of NFL? Interesting 

Just now, detfan782004 said:

So you are saying the Ravens and UM are committing collusion against rest of NFL? Interesting 

It's not collusion to discuss scouting reports with college coaches but Jimmy is a proven cheater so wouldn't shock me. If Jimmy was giving others false information saying someone was a bad kid so they would fall to Baltimore, that would be collusion.  But them discussing who the Ravens are looking at over Easter dinner and getting Jim's honest feedback which he may not be as open with all coaches, definitely happens.  I will bet that Jim was much less forthcoming with information to the 49ers than he would be to Baltimore.  He probably wouldn't lie (although the cheating so maybe) but if a kid has a poor work ethic he probably wouldn't divulge that info to someone he doesn't like.  

I finally got one last mock draft nailed down.  I made a couple of trade-back scenarios with teams that have the draft capital to do so.  This drafts give the Lions some young talent that can contribute immediately along with some players that have major upside.  Folks won't be able to say that the Lions defense is bad due to lack of talent if their draft goes down like this.  That said:

Trade 1:  The Lions trade 29 to the Commanders for 36 and 78.  They manage to get 78 from the Commanders because their LT#1 is former Lion Cornelius Lucas.  The Ravens, 49rs and Chiefs all need OT help so they jump to 29 to get the LT who will protect the QB they take at #2guy and while leaving themselves with two 3rd round picks.

Trade 2:  The Lions trade 61 to the Cardinals for 66 and 90.  This trade gives Arizona two picks in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds so they have no issues with giving up #90 to make it happen.

36--CB Max Melton:  He can play in multiple schemes.  He can play inside and outside.  He has proven ball-hawking skills and pretty good football IQ.  His physical tools are top-shelf expect for his combine weight of 187 Lbs.  Playing on some bad teams in a rebuilding Rutgers program made it harder for him to get noticed but:  2021: Led the team with 3 INTs. Started 10 games (28 tackles, 2 TFL, 3 INTs-1 returned for TD, 6 PBUs, blocked kick), 2022: Honorable Mention All-Big Ten Conference. Tied for the FBS lead with 3 blocked kicks. Started all 12 games (33 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 INTs, 10 PBUs), Honorable Mention All-Big Ten Conference. Led the team with 3 INTs. Started 12 games (32 tackles, 4 TFL with 1 sack, 3 INTs, 6 PBUs, FF).  Combine:  32' arm length, 1.51/439 40, 40.5" vertical and 11'4" broadjump.  He has a fairly high floor and a ton of upside.  

66--S Jaden Hicks:  He is somewhat inexperienced but has improved a lot over his last two seasons.  He checks in at 6'2" and 211 Lbs.  He can make plays all over the field.  His change-of-direction skills need work but he won't have to play early unless Kerby Joseph continues to back-slide.  He has the talent to be a starter early in his career.  

73--EDGE Jalyx Hunt:  Some folks will say this is too early for Jalyx Hunt but I suspect the Bengals, Rams, Dallas, Pittsburgh or Baltimore will not pass on him in the 3rd round.  A small school prospect who has been playing DE for two years after moving from safety.  His combination of speed, length and athleticism is rare.  Combine:  6'4", 252 Lbs, 34.375" arm length, 10-inch hands, a 1.6/4.64 40, 37.5" vertical and 10'8" broadjump.  He put up pretty good numbers in his first two years playing DE.  He isn't quite as raw as a lot of folks make him out to be but is still more of a developmental prospect.  His background as a former safety along with his length and speed will make him very disruptive when he drops into coverage for zone blitz packages.  Once he learns how to really use his speed, length and explosiveness he is going cause a lot of problems for opposing OTs.  He has the tools to carve out a limited role as a rookie but will probably need to get stronger and add some mass.  His upside is really high.  

78--OT/OG Kiran Amedgadjie:  Previously projected as a second round pick, he drops a bit due to a combination of injury uncertainty, playing at Yale for 1 season at OG and 1.5 at OT as well as the depth of the OT class.  He is 6'5", 323 Lbs with 36-inch arm length.  He moves well and even plays with a bit of a mean streak.  He probably won't need to play in year 1 but when he gets into the lineup he is probably going to stay there for a while.

100--OG/OC Dominic Puni:  He won't have to play as a rookie but has the talent to develop into a starter.  He played LT and LG at Kansas.  His length is solid and his movement skills are very good.  He seems like the type of player that could eventually be capable of playing all three interior o-line positions.

164--WR Malik Washington:  He is a slot WR built like a RB at 5'8", 195 Lbs.  His contact balance is really good.  He is a really good kick returner and given the new rules along with the uncertainty with Kalif Raymond's injury, he could have a big impact on special teams.  

201--CB/S Willie Drew:  He checks in at 6'0", 190 Lbs with 32-inch arm length with a 1.49/4.46 40 from the combine.  His a small school player with serious production to go along with his athletic traits.  He will probably need to get stronger but like some of the other prospects, he won't be under pressure to play early.  His stats for the last two years:

2022: First-team Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Played in all 10 games with 9 starts (40 tackles, 2 TFLs, 5 INTs, 7 PBUs).

2023: Second-team Associated Press Division II All-American. Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year. First-team All-CIAA. Let team with 6 INTs (1 returned for TD) and 16 PBUs. Started all 10 games (34 tackles, 2.5 TFL, FF).

205 OC/OG Jacob Monk:  Played 59 games and started 58 of them at RT, RG and OC.  Two-time team captain for a resurgent Duke program.  He has adequate functional strength.  He has really good footwork and movement skills.  He is just a very solid football player

249  PK Cam Little:  The PK on the Michigan Panthers might be better than Michael Badgely.  Time to stop putting a bandaid on this position.  

UDFA:

OG/OT Nathan Thomas:  This is a planet theory pick.  6'5", 330Lbs, with 33.75" arm length and 10.75" hands.  He moves fairly well for someone his size.  Nathan Thomas played LT in college but seems to be more of OG in the NFL.  The best-case scenario for the Lions would for him to become a Trey Smith type of O-Lineman

Edited by Just Want A Title

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It's not collusion to discuss scouting reports with college coaches but Jimmy is a proven WINNER and National Champion so wouldn't shock me. If Jimmy was giving others false information saying someone was a bad kid so they would fall to Baltimore, that would be collusion.  But them discussing who the Ravens are looking at over Easter dinner and getting Jim's honest feedback which he may not be as open with all coaches, definitely happens.  I will bet that Jim was much less forthcoming with information to the 49ers than he would be to Baltimore.  He probably wouldn't lie (although he deals with a lot of butt hurt rivals so maybe) but if a kid has a poor work ethic he probably wouldn't divulge that info to someone he doesn't like.  

Interesting 

51 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Interesting 

Hey, I'd cheat to get one. Why not when they don't care.  UNC had the kids taking fake classes, this at UM, Ohio St with issues all the time.  In basketball Calipari has done it multiple places as has Pitino and they are considered all time greats. Why not cheat and get your championship and then run away.  They only come down hard on you if your SMU or someone like that who isn't important to the brand.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Hey, I'd cheat to get one. Why not when they don't care.  UNC had the kids taking fake classes, this at UM, Ohio St with issues all the time.  In basketball Calipari has done it multiple places as has Pitino and they are considered all time greats. Why not cheat and get your championship and then run away.  They only come down hard on you if your SMU or someone like that who isn't important to the brand.  

NCAA going to headsets actually shows there was a major problem with college football. Glad Michigan exposed it and some changes are coming 

I'm trying something a bit different with this one based on a few ideas floating around and things I'm hearing. All I can hear in my head is Michael Scott's voice saying "you're gonna hate it"... but here we go.

Pick #29 - Johnny Newton, IDL, Illinois: Newton was listed in the 290's while he was with the Illini but weighed in at 304 at the combine. I've been watching a lot of Lions coaches film trying to determine what the team should be doing about John Cominsky and whether adding someone like Darius Robinson makes sense here. The Lions use Paschal and Cominsky as interchangeable parts while also utilizing them together at 4i on passing downs. The Lions aren't using these guys 'on the edge' in the same fashion some in the media might expect.  So many of Cominsky's snaps come in at 4i or 5T and Newton can absolutely handle that assignment. He can even play in combination with Cominsky and Paschal as he's instantly going to be replacing another DL- Levi Onwuzurike. I suspect that the Lions will get something done but this pick is also Alim contract insurance along with Alim/Reader injury protection. 

Pick #61 - Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: The RT for the Huskies. He's getting a lot of buzz and moving up draft boards. He could use some time to develop and may even need to slide inside to OG. He adds depth to the position and gives us flexibility for whenever Taylor Decker does retire (or if he's injured). 

Trade pick #73 and #249 for pick #86 and #127

Pick #86 - Javon Bullard, S, Georgia: Bullard is another player with a lot of buzz around him. He does offer positional flexibility but is best utilized in the slot (SCB or SS). This will allow the Lions to mix things up with coverage and let Brian Branch be more of a rover and taking advantage of matchups. Bullard does have some ball skills but he's also a hard hitting, tone setter. 

Pick #127 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon: Jackson is probably a bit on the bigger side and is still developing as a CB. With all of the other additions to the secondary, he's not going to be forced into a key role and can develop. 

Pick #164 - Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan: Zinter is coming off of injury but should be a fit for what the Lions want in the OL. He is compared to Graham Glasgow and that's exactly who he is going to learn from. He probably goes higher if not for the injury. 

Pick #201 - Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa: The Lions have met with him, he offers something that Newton doesn't (size) and adds more depth to the interior defensive line. Brodric Martin is a developing player and there's not a lot of depth in the group as a whole. 

Pick #205 - Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State: I have my own personal interest in the Lions adding a WR. Gould is the opposite of a player I would normally be looking to add but he also makes quite a bit of sense. Instead of the Josh Reynolds replacement (which DPJ and Tre'Quan Smith could be the answer to), he's the future Kalif Raymond replacement. Raymond has been in trade rumours as of late. If he is a post-June 1st trade, the Lions would be on the hook for $1.5M in dead cap and open up $1.7 in cap savings. Even if he's not traded, Raymond's nearly $6.5M cap hit in 2025 means that the Lions should be looking to find his replacement soon. Gould ran a sub 4.40 (4.39) offering speed and explosiveness. He is also a great returner which adds extra value thanks to the rule changes. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm trying something a bit different with this one based on a few ideas floating around and things I'm hearing. All I can hear in my head is Michael Scott's voice saying "you're gonna hate it"... but here we go.

Pick #29 - Johnny Newton, IDL, Illinois: Newton was listed in the 290's while he was with the Illini but weighed in at 304 at the combine. I've been watching a lot of Lions coaches film trying to determine what the team should be doing about John Cominsky and whether adding someone like Darius Robinson makes sense here. The Lions use Paschal and Cominsky as interchangeable parts while also utilizing them together at 4i on passing downs. The Lions aren't using these guys 'on the edge' in the same fashion some in the media might expect.  So many of Cominsky's snaps come in at 4i or 5T and Newton can absolutely handle that assignment. He can even play in combination with Cominsky and Paschal as he's instantly going to be replacing another DL- Levi Onwuzurike. I suspect that the Lions will get something done but this pick is also Alim contract insurance along with Alim/Reader injury protection. 

Pick #61 - Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: The RT for the Huskies. He's getting a lot of buzz and moving up draft boards. He could use some time to develop and may even need to slide inside to OG. He adds depth to the position and gives us flexibility for whenever Taylor Decker does retire (or if he's injured). 

Pick #86 - Javon Bullard, S, Georgia: Bullard is another player with a lot of buzz around him. He does offer positional flexibility but is best utilized in the slot (SCB or SS). This will allow the Lions to mix things up with coverage and let Brian Branch be more of a rover and taking advantage of matchups. Bullard does have some ball skills but he's also a hard hitting, tone setter. 

Pick #127 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon: Jackson is probably a bit on the bigger side and is still developing as a CB. With all of the other additions to the secondary, he's not going to be forced into a key role and can develop. 

Pick #164 - Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan: Zinter is coming off of injury but should be a fit for what the Lions want in the OL. He is compared to Graham Glasgow and that's exactly who he is going to learn from. He probably goes higher if not for the injury. 

Pick #201 - Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa: The Lions have met with him, he offers something that Newton doesn't (size) and adds more depth to the interior defensive line. Brodric Martin is a developing player and there's not a lot of depth in the group as a whole. 

Pick #205 - Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State: I have my own personal interest in the Lions adding a WR. Gould is the opposite of a player I would normally be looking to add but he also makes quite a bit of sense. Instead of the Josh Reynolds replacement (which DPJ and Tre'Quan Smith could be the answer to), he's the future Kalif Raymond replacement. Raymond has been in trade rumours as of late. If he is a post-June 1st trade, the Lions would be on the hook for $1.5M in dead cap and open up $1.7 in cap savings. Even if he's not traded, Raymond's nearly $6.5M cap hit in 2025 means that the Lions should be looking to find his replacement soon. Gould ran a sub 4.40 (4.39) offering speed and explosiveness. He is also a great returner which adds extra value thanks to the rule changes. 

I could see the Lions looking for an alternative to Kalif Raymond just based on his knee injury.  Zak Zinter was getting some late Round 1 buzz prior to his injury.  I could see him going in the 3rd round but 164 is a pretty steep drop.  Khristian Boyd would make a nice addition but I am kind of torn on where he goes.  Round 6 seems about as late as he will fall.  Khyree Jackson but I think his reported off-the-field issues at Alabama will be the determining factor in him getting drafted by the Lions. Johnny Newton would have made a lot of sense of we didn't sign DJ Reader.  I am also a little leary of his foot injury.  Roger Rosengarten may be getting a lot of buzz lately but I am not really seeing it.  He is a good mover but needs to get stronger.  He has some high-end tools but they aren't elite across the board.  #61 might be a bit high for him.

• Like 1

I do have a question about the long-term effects of a Jones Fracture.  It seems like Koolaid McKinstry is sliding in-part because folks are concerned that even after the fracture is healed that it could somehow negatively affect his speed.  Can a Jones Fracture really have that much of an effect on the speed of a player even if the surgery is successful?

27 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I could see the Lions looking for an alternative to Kalif Raymond just based on his knee injury.  Zak Zinter was getting some late Round 1 buzz prior to his injury.  I could see him going in the 3rd round but 164 is a pretty steep drop.  Khristian Boyd would make a nice addition but I am kind of torn on where he goes.  Round 6 seems about as late as he will fall.  Khyree Jackson but I think his reported off-the-field issues at Alabama will be the determining factor in him getting drafted by the Lions. Johnny Newton would have made a lot of sense of we didn't sign DJ Reader.  I am also a little leary of his foot injury.  Roger Rosengarten may be getting a lot of buzz lately but I am not really seeing it.  He is a good mover but needs to get stronger.  He has some high-end tools but they aren't elite across the board.  #61 might be a bit high for him.

Newton and Reader would play two very different roles. He'd be replacing Levi and taking a bunch of Cominsky's snaps. He (Cominsky) already plays a lot in IDL spots playing SDE- he's regularly lined at the 4i spot and occasionally 2i and even 0 on occasion. Paschal does get placed out on the edge more, rushing from 7 or even 9 wide. 

48.NFL-team-logo
Xavier LegetteWR South Carolina
trade-icon
73.NFL-team-logo
Braden FiskeDT Florida State
88.NFL-team-logo
Khyree JacksonCB Oregon
trade-icon
93.NFL-team-logo
Dominick PuniOG Kansas
trade-icon
96.NFL-team-logo
Beaux LimmerOC Arkansas
trade-icon
164.NFL-team-logo
MarShawn LloydRB USC
249.NFL-team-logo
Joshua KartyK Stanford
2025 JAX 2nd
2025 BAL 4th
2025 CIN 5th
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Lol this is your best draft by a wide margin. I’m a Newton slappy so obviously love the start.   Rosengarten’s name is suddenly popping up everywhere both for and against seems to be a prospect people love to debate. Kyrie Jackson looks like a 1st rd pick at times but will be 25 by start of season and has all kinds of character issues apparently both in work ethic and just general people to be around.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Lol this is your best draft by a wide margin. I’m a Newton slappy so obviously love the start.   Rosengarten’s name is suddenly popping up everywhere both for and against seems to be a prospect people love to debate. Kyrie Jackson looks like a 1st rd pick at times but will be 25 by start of season and has all kinds of character issues apparently both in work ethic and just general people to be around.  

I hadn't heard the character stuff about Khyree until recently. I'll have to take a closer look at that.