2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

would you be looking for more QB pressure if you were in "nickle"?

These days, I think "nickel" is a generic package that can be played a number of different ways.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Like one of the beat said think the rotation with LVN/Preston and Slaton/Wyatt is going to be pretty high and situation dependent. Slaton just gonna give you a better shield for our high investment LB to flow in the run game.

I get that but this was the starting nickel defense, which I think Wyatt would be getting those snaps. In base, I absolutely agree. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Giving Dillard the trial by fire known as RG. I like it.  Show you are an NFL player worth keeping over some of our developmental guys or show yourself out. 

I'm glad Dillard is getting whipped like a red-headed stepchild. The sooner he's cut the better and take Newman with you.

I want in interior vet who can play signed soon. We need at least one solid inside back up on the interior and I don't see one on the roster. 

Assuming Rhyan is continuing to improve we will have 3 solid guys inside. It not, we only have 2. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm glad Dillard is getting whipped like a red-headed stepchild. The sooner he's cut the better and take Newman with you.

I want in interior vet who can play signed soon. We need at least one solid inside back up on the interior and I don't see one on the roster. 

Assuming Rhyan is continuing to improve we will have 3 solid guys inside. It not, we only have 2. 

It’s early yet. He’s got time to acquit himself and it’s a long way til week 1, we might need him. I do agree though, go right at him with our best and see if he belongs. If he earns it, great but he hasn’t shown he’s a starter in his time as a pro. Basically we are going to see if he’s better than the depth. 

*also early but that same sting of text said Rhyan got knock on his *** right out of the gate. He gets the same trial by fire here in year 3. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I get that but this was the starting nickel defense, which I think Wyatt would be getting those snaps. In base, I absolutely agree. 

Nickle is base though. Gotta be able to stop the run out of that formation before you can rush from it.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Nickle is base though. Gotta be able to stop the run out of that formation before you can rush from it.

I thought this guy was going to play more traditional 4-3? 

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It’s early yet. He’s got time to acquit himself and it’s a long way til week 1, we might need him. I do agree though, go right at him with our best and see if he belongs. If he earns it, great but he hasn’t shown he’s a starter in his time as a pro. Basically we are going to see if he’s better than the depth. 

*also early but that same sting of text said Rhyan got knock on his *** right out of the gate. He gets the same trial by fire here in year 3. 

Agree, which is why I believe we need to add a vet to the interior who can actually play. If Rhyan shows he's worthy as camp goes on all the better to have a guy on the bench who can come in and perform at all three spots inside. 

Connor Williams comes to mind since he's going to miss, probably the first 6 games of the season. He might be ideal to get on a 2- or 3-year deal if we can. Insurance going forward assuming we do not want to re-sign Myers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I thought this guy was going to play more traditional 4-3? 

I don't see us trotting out 3 LB vs 3 WR. Especially considering I don't think you'd say any of our guys specialize in coverage.

Hell play more single high which will bring a safety into the box which can give you more 4-3ish kinda looks.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

You're basically going to be in nickel any time the offense lines up with 3 WRs on the field, since you'd prefer not to cover a WR with a linebacker.  Game situation will dictate whether you're more concerned about stopping the run or pressuring the QB or whatever.

But you still have to line up on defense when the other team has 1st and 10 on their 25 yard line with a 0-0 score.  So that's pretty much your "base" defense.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

Copied from GB Packer Reddit

Practice Is Finished – 1 hour 27 Minutes

General:

• First Training Camp

• No Pads

• WWE’s Braun Strowman & Otis are here to take in practice.

• A short first day of practice as mandated by the CBA

Next Event: Practice, July 23rd 10:30AM CT.

Returned from injury: Zach Tom, Tyler Davis

Not Practicing / Limited: 

• Players not participating in Packers first camp practice, some injuries not yet announced:

• Caleb Jones (hammy)

• Corey Ballentine (hammy)

• Donovan Jennings (knee)

• Jayden Reed (toe)

• Jordan Love (contract)

• Kitan Oladapo (toe)

• MarShawn Lloyd (hip)

• Tucker Kraft (pec)

Offense:

• Zach Tom is coming off PUP this morning but will be limited at practice

• It looks like Jordan Morgan might get first look at RG today. Andre Dillard at RT with Tom not doing team and Rasheed Walker at LT. Thats not confirmed - we’ll see in team - but that’s how they lined up early.

• Tyler Davis has a helmet and looks good to go coming off his ACL injury. He was in the rehab group during OTAs and minicamp.

• Julian Hicks and Jalen Wayne just collided in an individual drill after a catch. Hicks stayed on the ground for a bit but looks ok. May have got the wind knocked out of him.

• Starting offensive line: Rasheed Walker, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard. Behind them at starting quarterback: Sean Clifford. For now.

• Andre Dillard gets first rep at RT, Morgan comes in at RG behind Rhyan

• Staring lineup in teams

• Clifford

• Jacobs

• Wicks - Watson - Doubs

• Musgrave

• Walker - Jenkins - Myers - Rhyan – Dillard

• Couple nice runs by Emmanuel Wilson with the twos. He’ll get some extra run with Lloyd apparently not practicing (reason currently unknown).

• MarShawn Lloyd is out here but not practicing

• New offensive line just now with the 1’s

• Walker - Rhyan - Jenkins - Morgan – Dillard

• Red zone starts with Clifford finding Wicks for a 10 yd TD. Put it only where 13 could get it near pylon

• Clifford to Doubs for a td on a short out route w/ Nixon in coverage.

• Elgton Jenkins center snaps…keep in mind primary C backup last year was Runyan and Tom

• Sean Clifford did his best to navigate a very crowded pocket but nowhere to go. Play blown dead.

• Clifford hits Doubs in stride on a crosser for a touchdown in red zone. Bullard was trailing in coverage. Valentine & Stokes the CBs right now.

• Enagbare with a would be sack but Clifford throws and Wicks makes another ridiculous diving catch.

• Clifford throws low to Heath who digs it out for a touchdown. Bullard had good coverage.

Defense:

• Starting DBs in secondary walkthroughs - Jaire, Stokes, Bullard, McKinney.

• Nixon in the nickel as expected.

• Starting Defense:

• Smith - Slaton - Clark - Gary

• Eric Wilson - Quay – McDuffie

• Quay the Mike LB.

• Stokes - Jaire

• Bullard – McKinney

• Something about watching Rashan Gary fire out of a 3-point stance that just looks scary. He’s gonna be something in this 4-3 defense.

• Ty’Ron Hopper all over a run in the backfield. He did that a few times in minicamp/OTAs too.

• Cooper now in with Walker and McDuffie in base after Wilson got first snap

• Kenneth Odumegwu bit in a play action inside but Kalen King all over a short throw on a rollout completed to Pearson. Eric Stokes all over a Josh Jacobs run that he tried to bounce to the outside.

• Rashan Gary back-to-back sacks (?) working against RT Dillard.

• Gary looked to beat Dillard on both plays.

• Van Ness had a nice little red zone period with a couple pressures.

• Clifford’s throw tipped at the line. Didn’t see who tipped it. Great coverage in the secondary as Clifford rolls left. Valentine blanketed Toure on a throw that was basically a throw away.

• Zayne Anderson rotating in behind Xavier McKinney for some first-team reps. Maybe a nod to his strong spring. Carrington Valentine also rotating in for Jaire Alexander and Isaiah McDuffie getting some run with first team defense.

• Screen game has been a struggle early. Nothing doing on a couple attempts - defense has been all over it. A great sign for a defense that wants to me more aggressive.

• Good heavens. T. J. Slaton just completely blew up a play by bulldozing Sean Rhyan and forcing Sean Clifford to spike it.

Special Teams:

• Newest entry in #Packers kicking competition is James Turner, who joins Anders Carlson & Greg Joseph as all 3 are vying for 1 job. How long until team decides? “As long as it takes,” Gutekunst said.

• James Turner goes 2/3 in FGs. Missed the longest wide right. Made 33, 38RH; missed 43Lh

• James Turner goes 2/3 again. Now 4/6 on the day. Peter Bowden was the long snapper that round.

Media:

Interviews:

Gutekunst Presser:

• On Kenny Clark: "He is the model player that you want to build a program around. He's obviously a great player - consistent as you could ever imagine."

• On a new deal with QB Jordan Love. No deal yet. “I think so, but you never know. We're working really hard to get that done. It's really important for us." Says he is "optimistic."

• Says Love's agents informed the Packers on Saturday night that "Until we got something done Love would not practice."

• On negotiations with Love: "I feel we're close" “Not unexpected and we’ll work to get it done. Hopefully he won’t miss too much time.”

• Jayden Reed "tweaked" something during his youth camp, Gutekunst says. He won't be out for long.

• On Christian Watson: "He's done everything he can to stay out there, but we'll see. I'm confident he's done everything in his power to make sure he stays out there. And we need him to stay out there. We are a different team when he's out there."

• Key takeaways from Gutey:

1. Jordan Love will not practice until his contract is done. Was his agency’s decision.

2. Optimistic the contract is very close to being done.

3. Zach Tom will come off PUP list today & practice in a limited capacity

4. No concern for Jayden Reed

LaFleur ~Presser:~

• Says "it’s probably going to look 50/50" in terms of No. 1 snaps with Sean Clifford & Michael Pratt.

• On Kenny Clark: "He's good in any system. Hopefully, there's more out there for him."

• On Zach Tom's recovery from a pec injury: "Our guys had a great plan for him. He was diligent in everything they asked him to do. Obviously, strength is paramount at that position. ... He's in a good spot right now."

• Says Sean Clifford will start training camp as the top QB with Jordan Love sitting out practice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Gonna be situation dependent. 

1st and 10, you might be looking a bit more run ready, use Slaton.

2nd and 10, you're expecting pass, run in Wyatt. 

Thought this was an interesting blurb from JSO

first-round draft pick Jordan Morgan worked mostly as the No. 2 right guard, behind third-year pro Sean Rhyan. In offseason practices, Morgan worked at both tackles and right guard, and there was some question about where the Packers would play him early in training camp.

Morgan was a left tackle in college at Arizona, and one possibility was for the Packers to play him there to challenge Rasheed Walker for the starting job. But at least on Day 1 of camp, Morgan primarily rotated in at right guard for snaps with the starting line, behind Rhyan.

I'm a little annoyed about Dillard being in there right away. 

I know there's something to be said about letting the vets start out just because they know an NFL offseason, but there's also something to be said about not blocking your thoroughbred who needs reps with a ******* never-was. 

If I was this coaching staff, Morgan would be seeing Rashan Gary every other rep in 1v1s. He's either going to figure out speed to power or he's not going to make it. 

+++

I say this, and it's just so going to happen that Dillard is going to turn into a damn fine Tackle and live up to his potential here.