2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Thought this was an interesting blurb from JSO

first-round draft pick Jordan Morgan worked mostly as the No. 2 right guard, behind third-year pro Sean Rhyan. In offseason practices, Morgan worked at both tackles and right guard, and there was some question about where the Packers would play him early in training camp.

Morgan was a left tackle in college at Arizona, and one possibility was for the Packers to play him there to challenge Rasheed Walker for the starting job. But at least on Day 1 of camp, Morgan primarily rotated in at right guard for snaps with the starting line, behind Rhyan.

Not sure I like the short term thinking here. 

They seem to think Rhyan is the weakest spot on the line, so put the pressure on Rhyan to perform with the highest caliber talent we have that's not currently starting. 

+++

That said, it's still way too early. Morgan may very well play LT all day today. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That said, it's still way too early. Morgan may very well play LT all day today. 

This was my thought as well.  Can't take too much away from the first day of camp, but it's still interesting to see where they have guys lining up on day 1.

20 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This was my thought as well.  Can't take too much away from the first day of camp, but it's still interesting to see where they have guys lining up on day 1.

I think MLF's second sentence in the quote below plays into this some as well. Make them uncomfortable and see how they adapt. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm a little annoyed about Dillard being in there right away. 

I know there's something to be said about letting the vets start out just because they know an NFL offseason, but there's also something to be said about not blocking your thoroughbred who needs reps with a ******* never-was. 

If I was this coaching staff, Morgan would be seeing Rashan Gary every other rep in 1v1s. He's either going to figure out speed to power or he's not going to make it. 

+++

I say this, and it's just so going to happen that Dillard is going to turn into a damn fine Tackle and live up to his potential here. 

He's struggling again today. May be a short stay for him if he doesn't turn it around. Moreover if Morgan struggles early at OT and/or they want to give him OG reps, Packers may need to dip back into the OT market (if anyone is available). 

I don't imagine the staff will want to watch Dillard get consistently abused at OT for very long, but I get that they want to see what they have.

The year 1 plan for Morgan could depend on whether Dillard looks like he can handle the OT snaps. 

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't imagine the staff will want to watch Dillard get consistently abused at OT for very long, but I get that they want to see what they have.

The year 1 plan for Morgan could depend on whether Dillard looks like he can handle the OT snaps. 

This should not remotely be the case. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

What gives you concern that he may be? 

Past history with him especially his rookie year, his personality from what I've seen him, blood lines (big mom), and just his build in general (working theory that large male **** comes from high estrogen levels that leads to fat retention). 

Copied from Reddit:

Practice Is Finished - 1 hour and 47 minutes

General:

• No Pads

• Rainy day

• Lack of practice tweets due to downpour

• "Packers practice goes on despite a torrential rainstorm"

Next Event: Practice, July 24th 10:30AM CT

Injuries:

• Caleb Jones OT (hammy)

• Corey Ballentine CB (hammy)

• Donovan Jennings G/T (knee)

• Jayden Reed WR (toe)

• Kitan Oladapo S (toe)

• MarShawn Lloyd RB (hip)

• Tucker Kraft TE (pec)

Returned from injury:

• Jaire Alexander is back on the practice field after dropping out yesterday due to overheating

Not Practicing / Limited: 

• Jordan Love QB (contract)

Offense:

• Packers starting OL in walkthroughs:

• Walker - Jenkins - Myers - Rhyan - Tom

• Clifford fake toss to Jacobs, and hits Dontayvion Wicks for a nice gain over the middle. No gloves for Wicks. This rain is nuts

• Two straight fumbled exchanges with Jacob Monk at center

• Good ball by Clifford to Watson over the middle, but he couldn’t bring it in. Jaire in tight coverage.

• After a monsoon, Clifford tosses two INTs.

• Two deep attempts downfield from Clifford incomplete. One to Musgrave (McDuffie) one to Doubs (Valentine)

• Clifford uses hard count to get defense to jump but throws a duck right into the ground. I’m sure wet ball playing a factor.

• Offensive line has been a struggle.

• AJ Dillon just showed some impressive burst, sprinting through opening up the middle to break off a long run. Worth monitoring when the pads get strapped.

• Grant DuBose with a good grab across the middle, ball was a tick behind him from Pratt but plucked it

• The offense can’t to anything at all right now.

• Offense does pushups post practice for losing the day.

Defense:

• Stokes the starting CB opposite Jaire.

• Evan Williams with McKinney at S today

• Evan Williams pick (maybe pick six) to start next team period Clifford at QB

• AJJ now picks Clifford

• Hell of a cover deep from Carrington Valentine against Romeo Doubs, breaking up a jump ball. And Valentine let Doubs hear it. Don’t count out last year’s seventh-round pick for a potential starting job.

• Enagbare sack #3. Been a tough start to camp for Dillard.

• D-line getting pressure again today. Rashan Gary isn’t even in and he’s going nuts. Just hyped up Enagbare and then stared down Andre Dillard and the O-line group as he walked from the middle of the field all the way back to the side line. Couldn’t tell if he was still chirping.

• The energy on this defense is totally different.

• Rashan all over a Jacobs run. He is so damn violent at the point of attack. No idea how Rasheed just contained him.

• Rashan & Preston force a throw away. This DL has been relentless.

• Wyatt forces a Clifford fumble. Knocked the ball out of his hand. The ball may have hit Sean Rhyan and Wyatt may not have forced it. Wyatt was right there though.

• The safeties have been cooking Sean Clifford since the spring. This Hafley defense is going to create a ton of confusion with their back end

• This Packers defense is absolutely flying around. We’ll see how they look when Jordan is back though.

• Valentines second pbu of the day. He’s off to a very nice start to camp.

• Rashan Gary

• Andre Dillard has no shot at blocking Rashan Gary. Just a massive mismatch. Gary with another “sack”

• And Rashan Gary follows it up with another sack. Just unstoppable.

• Matt LaFleur noted Packers defensive line won Day 1. Safe to say it’s winning Day 2 as well. Rashan Gary with sacks on consecutive reps. He’s just toying with them.

• Gary unofficially with 177 sacks today

• If Packers DE Rashan Gary plays this season like he has in this practice he will break the NFL single-season sack record.

• Rashan Gary with another sack (3 in 4 plays).

• Edgerrin Cooper flying down the middle and reaches in front of Christian Watson for a PBU on a short pass from Clifford.

• LVN getting some work inside on an obvious pass down with the 2’s.

• The defense is completely and utterly dominating.

• Safe to say defense won the day. Domination up front.

Special Teams:

• Packers long snapper Peter Bowden (former Badger) has been released to sign Jacob Eason

• Carlson good from 33, 38, and 44

• Greg Joseph: XP good, 39L wide right, 44R wide right.

• Carlson 3/3 on kicks. Joseph 2/3

• Second time through, both were good from 41, 45 and 46

• So after one cycle through the three kicker are:

• Carlson 6-6

• Joseph 5-6

• Turner 4-6

• In really bad conditions … the Carlsonaissance is under way

Media:

Interviews:

• Matt LaFleur: Presser

• On rookie safety Javon Bullard saying he didn't want to acknowledge he's comfortable in #Packers defense to avoid complacency: "I didn't know he said that, but that fires me up. We want to make these guys comfortable being uncomfortable."

• D-line got the better of the O-line yesterday, LaFleur says in stating what was apparent on the field.

• Said the operations were clean with the quarterbacks on the first day without Love.

• Says the #Packers will kick every day. Anders Carlson & Greg Joseph will go today after James Turner went 4-of-6 yesterday.

• Jaire is ok - was just overheating yesterday. Was some concern after he dropped out of practice yesterday.

• No updates on Love contract

• Matt LaFleur said "for the most part" they're going to match offensive personnel on defense.

• On AJ Dillon: "This is the best I've seen him, hands down." He joked with Dillon the other day that you can see his abs, which is not easy for a big man to do.

• Not sure about where Lloyd is at. Doesn’t think too long but not anytime today or tomorrow. "He is a weapon out there."

• Elgton working at center yesterday was more cross training and trying to limit some of Josh’s snaps on day one.

For Live Twitter Updates: Click Here!

This is a compilation of many different X (Twitter) reporter account posts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think Dillard has given up like 7 "sacks" in two days lol.

I can't imagine he'll be around long.  He better pick it up in a big way, or his career may be over.  Desire doesn't seem to be his strong suit.