2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

Myers is solid and it’s taken a bit.  Next years will be all in.  Risking those on some rookie center, risky.  Won’t have high picks or extra picks.  Paying Myers basically buys you a 2nd rounder to use elsewhere.  Think you’d love to keep him if cap allows.  Antiawful factor.  Unless monk shows so much that you want him starting.  

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Myers is solid and it’s taken a bit.  Next years will be all in.  Risking those on some rookie center, risky.  Won’t have high picks or extra picks.  Paying Myers basically buys you a 2nd rounder to use elsewhere.  Think you’d love to keep him if cap allows.  Antiawful factor.  Unless monk shows so much that you want him starting.  

I think a lot will depend on how they feel Monk and/or Rhyan look as the season develops. Packers have not been afraid to go with young guys at Center though. Linsley and Myers both started as rookies. 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think a lot will depend on how they feel Monk and/or Rhyan look as the season develops. Packers have not been afraid to go with young guys at Center though. Linsley and Myers both started as rookies. 

1 of those developed into an all pro, the other is someone most want to move off of.  Does GB want to roll with an unproven player/ rookie center over $5-7Min 2025 cap charge with Myers?

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Linsley started, yes, and succeeded.  But he wasn't the intended starter; he got the chance because Tretter got hurt.  That wasn't a planned thing.  

• Like 1

I found a youtube channel which has videos of each of our WRs and all their catches from last season. Worth watching to get a better feel for each player and as to whether we're over hyping or under hyping them.

BO MELTON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvIt8gVVtt8
He's competitive and is making nice separation and finding pockets of spaces in the second and third level. I have to say that he is a big body catcher. If he does catch with his hands it doesn't look clean, the ball moves around his hands too much. He might actually be over hyped imo. It was nice having someone come off the street and contribute in a significant way but that was last season. Now it's a new season and has he developed enough and sustained the momentum from last year to secure himself a roster spot? After the Cleveland preseason game....i'm not so sure. His highlight tape hinted an issue with his catching and the two drops yesterday doesn't help him.

ROMEO DOUBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2GEW92ktg
He's a baller. Really good hands. Regularly gains separation and finding pockets of space. Highly competitive for jump balls. He's clearly our best all round WR, whilst he doesn't have the speed of Watson or the route running of Wicks or the wiggle of Melton, but he is still good enough in all those areas. He handles the physical side of the game very well, doesn't let defenders bully or fade him. Really steady and reliable.

DONTAYVION WICKS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JksaHSA-Xr4
Good hands, nice route running and wiggle. He's very similar to Doubs in style, just a little smaller and perhaps not as physical. His highlights is mainly him staying in front of defenders and catching the underneath stuff. He's not running the routes Doubs or Watson do which makes sense since he's 4th on the WR depth chart. His preseason TD vs Cleveland was the first time I seen him go behind the corner on the outside and beat him deep so it seems he does have that in his locker.

JAYDEN REED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzYR625FNw
Similar kind of body type as Melton but his tape is far superior. He catches so much better with his hands. Other than Watson he's probably our quickest WR so not surprised to see him used often for end arounds. I would like to see him more on deep balls Desean Jackson style. He too finds pockets of space at the second and third level. His route running is more rounded rather than sharp cuts so perhaps that is the weaker part of his game. He's an extremely nice complement to Watson and Doubs.

CHRISTIAN WATSON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4o33mlTlM0
So big and so fast. All the talent in the world. He's a crucial piece for our overall offense function. He is absolutely a threat to take off the top of defences and draw coverage his way making life easier for the other WRs. Other than his niggling injuries I think his biggest weakness is the inconsistency of his hand placement. He doesn't catch the ball clean like Doubs. He certainly isn't as strong a route runner as Doubs and Wicks but If he continue to grow and make full use of his physical gifts, out pacing and boxing out corners he could easily put up elite WR numbers. I hope so.

No video on Malik Heath but we know he's a solid blocker and has some use as a receiver.

Summary: Watson and Doubs are clearly without doubt our best wide receivers. Everyone has unique traits that nicely complement each other. All of them are good at finding pockets at second and third level, partly due to their route running and partly due to LaFleur's play design. I'm thinking we will keep 6 WRs for our final roster. Everyone offers something to the WR group with their traits and as a result I question the need for Melton considering we already have a similar style player in Reed. Melton's hands at first glace seems to be the weakest of the bunch and that is going to hurt him when it comes to the final selections. DuBose is doing stuff in preseason that I haven't seen Melton do in the video and is absolutely making a strong case to make the roster. Heath could nab the final WR spot due to his unique trait of size and blocking. The signs are perhaps pointing to Melton being the odd man out.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, squire12 said:

1 of those developed into an all pro, the other is someone most want to move off of.  Does GB want to roll with an unproven player/ rookie center over $5-7Min 2025 cap charge with Myers?

“The other is someone most want to move off of”. Not sure the Packers feel that way about Meyers. If they like his progress, it could mean they want to keep him but could also mean they’re willing to roll with Monk there again as well. 

19 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I think Myers is going to get the Runyan treatment. I think they will move someone else they have to center and maybe even look to the draft again. Myers is a good player, but I think the days of extending good players are coming to an end. Especially if Gute keeps drafting like he has.

I'll assume this is just poorly worded. 

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Summary: Watson and Doubs are clearly without doubt our best wide receivers. 

43 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Excellent post overall, but I disagree with this 100%

While I agree with this @Chili was referring to a breakdown of every snap LAST year. I think when we account for the 2nd year leap Wicks and Reed make that may very well be a different conversation. 

I also agree it was an excellent breakdown by @Chili and also see truth in both is breakdown and your point. 

When "are" was used rather than "were" in the summary, I interpreted that as speaking to the current state of the WR group, not the past.  After re-reading the post, I still believe that is the case.

If I am mistaken, and he was referring to last season, I disagree with that even more.  Watson was by no means "clearly without doubt" among GB's top 2 WR's last season.  Given his continued hammy issues, I would describe his 2023 season as a disappointment.

Edited by Mazrimiv

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

When "are" was used rather than "were" in the summary, I interpreted that as speaking to the current state of the WR group, not the past.  After re-reading the post, I still believe that is the case.

If I am mistaken, and he was referring to last season, I disagree with that even more.  Watson was by no means "clearly without doubt" among GB's top 2 WR's last season.  Given his continued hammy issues, I would describe his 2023 season as a disappointment.

You may be right! 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

DuBose all-22

DuBose showed he took it up a level. Showed that body control in that big frame that makes him intriguing. Definitely on the toe drag catch but also had some nice sideline work which shows awareness. His top speed seems to be his biggest concern but if he makes sure to catch the ball and is fast enough to get to his spots, he can move the chains. Next two games will be big for him. 

Edited by Refugee

Steve Smith Jr. just said on NFL Network the Packers 6, 7, 8 WR may not make our team, but they will be on somebody else's team, and they will IMPROVE that WR room. 

This may finally be the year where we are right about a WR or two we have to cut. 😁

10 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I took it that he was saying they are our two best WR this year. On talent, that may very well be right. When healthy they are our two best WR. IMO.