1. 1. What should Cowboys Do?

• Stay put and draft BPA
    • Trade back and pick up additional pick or picks
    • Draft a starting OT
    • Draft a starting DT
    • Draft a starting OC
    • Draft a Complimentary WR
    • Draft a starting OG

With the final week before the 2024 First Round, knowing what we know up to this point, the lack of movement in Free Agency, loss of key contributors and several starters. Only 7 draft picks with no 4th rounder. 

What or who do you want to see the Cowboys do/select in that first round? 

Personally regardless of who’s available at 24, with the way Oline depth is in this draft, think we need to trade back and acquire picks. Would like us to at least acquire 1 more top 100 pick. 

After that, with how we are current set, I’d take any Olineman. We can utilize either a starting Left Tackle, Center or Left Guard. Take best available of those 3 spots. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Trade back seems optimal, but I’m guessing they stick at 24 and take OL.

I think they trade back. Sturm said on what he’s hearing, 80% chance. I’m certain Jerry is dreading the long wait between our 3rd and 5th round picks.

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Personally regardless of who’s available at 24, with the way Oline depth is in this draft, think we need to trade back and acquire picks. Would like us to at least acquire 1 more top 100 pick.

I mostly agree, although I think there are about a half dozen tackles that are just too good to pass up. All of whom are unlikely to be there at #24.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

To parrot NYFDB, I think they want a starting LT in the first but don't expect any of Alt, Fashanu, Fautanu, Fuaga, Latham or Mims to be there. They also need more mid-rounders to offset the amount of depth they lost and did not replace in FA. So, trading down to ~30th for Guyton/Kingsley/Morgan makes sense.

The potential complications here are (1) if one of the aforementioned 6 tackles fall, (2) if they like Guyton (or someone else) more than the public/media seems to, and of course (3) finding the right trade partner; can we stay in the first round and get back more than a single late 4th? How badly are teams like the Bills, Ravens and Chiefs trying to move up?

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

Obviously OL is a need that cannot be overlooked.  I’m 100% onboard with either BPA OT or OC at 24.  I kinda feel that if we can walk away with best OC (JPJ) in the draft, we will have a serviceable OL… just simply move Smith out to LT.  I’m okay with a trade down but only if we can still secure elite OL talent with the pick.

That being said, I think we strongly have to consider QB as well.  I like our chances of winning in 2026-2028 with a young, cheap QB.

I’m starting to think Barton is the apple of their eye. The possibility of him being there at 24 are pretty high and his position flex really helps them with the pickle they have trying to fill these holes in the OL. He’s the pick at 24 unless one of the top 6 OTs falls somehow. If the OTs and Barton are off the board, they trade back if they have a dance partner.

Should do, or will do? Cause if it's a will do, you need to add draft a RB. Because all reports from the media who typically are in the know with Dallas related stories, is that the team is in love with Brooks and views the fifth year option as a way to offset a potentially slow start due to his knee recovery.

Brooks' surgeon/doctor is also the team doctor, so they have the best medicals on him possible. And we have heard this story many times before right before draft day.

And with the likelihood very small that a top OT prospect will be available at 24 (note:, TOP prospect, Guyton and other projects with potential may well be good options, but are the upper tier guys will be gone) and JPJ likely gone too soon as well, the team may have their pick between the best pure Lb and the pick of the litter at RB. 

But as this is obviously a should do, I'm going to say trade back. If they absolutely are in love with Brooks and want that fifth year to offset his recovery or a slow start from his recovery, then trading back later in the first makes the most sense. He will still be there, unless there is a team as crazy and dysfunctional as ours.

On 4/21/2024 at 7:34 PM, CT Cowboy Fan said:

I’m starting to think Barton is the apple of their eye. The possibility of him being there at 24 are pretty high and his position flex really helps them with the pickle they have trying to fill these holes in the OL. He’s the pick at 24 unless one of the top 6 OTs falls somehow. If the OTs and Barton are off the board, they trade back if they have a dance partner.

I agree that Barton feels like an exceptional fit and exactly the type our front office would love. Sure seems like Pittsburgh might preempt us there, unfortunately.