Draft Predictions

20 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Daniel Jeremiah's Mock 4.0 has the Lions selecting Kool-Aid at #29. His mocks are "what I'm hearing" as opposed to how he ranks players. 

My guy, Darius, is not selected in Round 1. 

It would be a solid choice.  Even after adding Carlton Davis and Amik Roberston, we need to add high-level talent to the CB room.  The other part that might play into that is that the Lions want to see what Terrell Williams can get out of the talent that we already have on the D-Line.  They might feel that he can unlock Josh Pascal's pass rush potential.

I think Holmes plan A hope is that Arnold falls into reasonable trade up range and he can go get his guy.  

If we stay at 29 and Kool Aid is on the board he’s likely the pick.  

I don’t think the Lions look at dline as a priority in this draft the way most fans / media do.  The only * I would put on that comment is potentially finding a replacement for Alim assuming he prices out.  I think they like what they have for this year.  Aiden and Alim both take big steps creating pass rush with Reader as a rock in the middle. They like there depth. I’d still love to add Newton personally, Fiske screams DC/BH player meaning plays with extreme effort and passion while also having the RAS to back it up.  I’d love to see Verse or Chop in a Lions uni as well but don’t think it’s in the cards.  

Lions stick with BPA mostly, possible move around some but I see them coming away with a corner, Oline and wr with the 1st 3 picks. 

Nix and Penix fall out of the 1st and the media acts shocked.  

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

I think Holmes plan A hope is that Arnold falls into reasonable trade up range and he can go get his guy.  

Yep. If I had to make one prediction it would be that the Lions will select in the top 20 and take Arnold.

I don't see the Lions sticking at 29 unless they absolutely have to. I just don't think that there are probably 29 guys that they have a first round grade on, so it makes more sense to either move up or trade down and pick up some extra picks or even future picks. 

I'd imagine trading up is a bit more likely. The roster is ready to win now. If they can swing a deal to get in position to draft a top corner or impact pass rusher I think that they do it. 

Edited by Lions017

Someone asked Terrion Arnold about the Lions telling him they’d trade up for him and reportedly he said “that’s classified”. Could be absolutely nothing, but with all the Alabama connections and visits, I think most assumed it was for Kool-Aid, I could see Holmes going against what’s expected the diverting to something no one was expecting. 

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

I don't see the Lions sticking at 29 unless they absolutely have to. I just don't think that there are probably 29 guys that they have a first round grade on, so it makes more sense to either move up or trade down and pick up some extra picks or even future picks. 

I'd imagine trading up is a bit more likely. The roster is ready to win now. If they can swing a deal to get in position to draft a top corner or impact pass rusher I think that they do it. 

I didn't think a trade-up was a realistic possibility a month ago.  However, if the right player drops into the 20s I think Brad Holmes might take a shot at moving up.  Some folks have talked about a trade that involves next years first round pick to jump ahead of the Colts but that would be pretty bold even for Brad Holmes.  I think a trade-up to #20 is the most likely scenario for me.

7 hours ago, MortexLion said:

idk if this belongs here but just wanted to ask how does this draft class compare to the last two drafts? 1/10? 

It has more “first round talent”. Hard to compare the classes overall just yet. 

8 hours ago, MortexLion said:

idk if this belongs here but just wanted to ask how does this draft class compare to the last two drafts? 1/10? 

Really depends on what you're looking for. I've heard a lot of people talking about how it drops off in the later rounds. With NIL money a lot of guys just stayed in college. 

Seems to be a strong class for some positions like WR and QB, weaker for positions like RB and DL. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Someone asked Terrion Arnold about the Lions telling him they’d trade up for him and reportedly he said “that’s classified”. Could be absolutely nothing, but with all the Alabama connections and visits, I think most assumed it was for Kool-Aid, I could see Holmes going against what’s expected the diverting to something no one was expecting. 

Terrion Arnold is a solid CB prospect but he doesn't have the athletic testing numbers of an elite CB like Marshawn Lattimore.  Testing isn't everything to be sure but one thing that showed up on tape was the fact that Terrion Arnold's long speed didn't look great.  He can mirror and stay in-phase with WRs in the first two levels of the defense but vertical routes could give him problems.  Still, he is pretty young and maybe the Lions think that will improve with physical development. 

Just comparing Schrager and Jeremiah's two mocks. People talk to Schrager (for reasons that I don't understand, he is annoying as heck) and I believe he has been fairly accurate over the years as a result. DJ's mocks are about the conversations that he's having. 

I'm interesting in doing a comparison of two plugged in guys to see where there are consistencies, trends and/or players that seem like they're not going to be drafted in Round 1 as we may have expected. 

Picks 1 - 4

Exactly the same - Caleb at #1; Jayden at #2; Drake at #3; Marvin at #4

Pick 5 - LAC - JC Latham

I've heard of Latham being connected to Harbaugh before just at a later pick. I feel like [Latham] could be there at #11 and they could add a WR at pick #23 in a trade down with the Vikings. DJ has the Vikings holding on to 11 and 23 while Schrager has them moving up to #7 and then holding on to 

Pick 6 - NYG - Malik Nabers

There are rumblings about Daniel Jones. I don't see how/why they'd be a true threat to take a QB when Nabers is sitting on the board. 

Pick 7 - Vikings trade up for McCarthy (Schrager); Titans take Alt (DJ)

I feel like the Vikings either trade up with both of their 1st round selections to #5 (maybe even 3) or they play chicken and take McCarthy or BPA at pick #11 or even #23. 

Pick 8 - ATL - Dallas Turner

Pick 9 - CHI (Keeps the pick) - Rome Odunze (Schrager); Olu Faushanu (DJ)

Chicago doesn't hae a ton of picks. If they can't find the right trading partner I could see them staying here. Odunze probably makes the most sense (although Schrager has Joe Alt going at 11 and I don't think the Bears would pass up the Best OT in the draft if he's sitting in their lap). 

Pick 10 - NYJ - Bowers (Schrager); Odunze (DJ)

Odunze goes to the Bears in Schragers and so the Jets add Bowers while Odunze is available for DJ. The Jets go all in on Rogers. Probably isn't going to make a difference and Saleh won't keep his job. 

Pick 11 - TEN - Alt (Schrager); MIN - McCarthy (DJ)

Already touched on this at #7. This could be Latham to the Chargers or even Alt based on how things break out in Schrager's. 

Pick 12 - DEN - Bo Nix (Schrager); PHI (trade) - Taliese Fuaga (DJ)

For a team that is lacking a 2nd rounder and is now scraping the barrel of QB prospects in this draft, it feels really rich to stay at #12 and take Nix. This feels like a prime spot for a trade down. DJ has interesting comments on how the Eagles have not selected a CB in round 1 since 2002 and they invest in big bodies. The Eagles have 3 of the most expensive OL's on their roster. This is a move that could make a lot of sense. 

Pick 13 - LV - Michael Penix (Schrager and DJ)

DJ has been connecting him to the Raiders for a month. They probably want to make the deal for Jayden but Washington doesn't want to come down that far. 

Pick 14 - NO - Olu Faushanu (Schrager); Troy Fautanu (DJ)

DJ comments about how the Saints are trying to trade up for an OT. This could be a spot the Bears trade down to from #9. There have been some question marks about Fautanu's medicals. It'll be interesting to see how real that is or if it's just a smokescreen.

Pick 15 - IND - Byron Murphy (Schrager); Brock Bowers (DJ)

DJ comments about my guy, Quinyon, also being a potential fit. I can see the reasoning behind the pairing of Bowers and Anthony Richardson. Murphy is an interesting guy. There are also rumours about them being a trade up partner for a WR. 

Pick 16 - PHI trade w/ SEA - Terrion Arnold (Schrager); SEA - Terrion Arnold (DJ)

With the rumblings about the Eagles looking to trade up, CB seems like an obvious connection. However, I put more weight into DJ's analysis on their historical drafting and team building philosophy. 

Pick 17 - JAC - Xavier Worthy (Schrager); Quinyon Mitchell (DJ)

There are crazier things that have happened but I just don't see Worthy being selected over someone like Brian Thomas or AD Mitchell when all else is equal. We do tend to see players get drafted in clusters, so with Arnold being taken off the board at #16, Quinyon feels like a guy that would be taken shortly afterwards. 

Pick 18 - CIN - Fuaga (Schrager); Byron Murphy (DJ)

Schrager even comments about the problems his Nix at 12 selection is having and causing better players to drop. This is why I don't see Denver sitting there and taking him. Even if the Broncos trade down at a discount, they should expect to be able to grab their guy without a true threat until at least pick 19 (Rams). 

Pick 19 - KC - trade with LAR - Amarius Mims (Schrager); WAS - trade with LAR (DJ)

Schrager is projecting the Rams to be a "multiple trade back" team. DJ has advised that the Commanders have done a ton of work on OT's. There's going to be a run in round 1 here. Schrager is projecting the Rams receive 32, 64 and 131 (901 pts) for #19 (875) = +26 pts (a late 5th); DJ projects #36 (540) and #40 (500) in exchange for #19 (875) and #95 (120). Rams would gain +45 (late 4th). If [the Rams] like multiple guys in the 2nd round, I could see this happening. 

Pick 20 - PIT - Brian Thomas Jr (Schrager); Tyler Guyton (DJ)

Schrager is projecting a move for a WR (Aiyuk maybe?) while DJ is projecting CB and/or OL. Protecting Wilson and/or Fields is important. 

Pick 21 - DET - trade with MIA - Jared Verse (Schrager); MIA - Johnny Newton (DJ)

Schrager is projecting the Lions to give up pick #29 and pick #73 (800 vs 865); Dolphins also don't have picks in R3 or R4 to even things out. Does Brad Holmes like Verse THAT much he'd be willing to give up the equivalent of a 4th in order to get Verse? Would the Dolphins give up a 2025 3rd to round it out? It's a bold and intriguing move.

Pick 22 - SEA via PHI trade - Fautanu (Schrager); DEN via PHI trade - Nix (DJ)

This feels much more plausible than the Broncos sticking at 12 and selecting Nix. 

Pick 23 - MIN - Quinyon Mitchell (Schrager); Chop Robinson (DJ)

The Vikings gave up a 2025 2nd round pick in order to acquire this pick. Either they made the decision to either a)trade up and acquire a QB or b) they evaluated the talent in the draft and decided the best players are going to be somewhere in the first 25ish picks and the draft isn't quite as deep as many suggest. They found a trading partner in the Texans to acquire an extra 1st. I love Mitchell and hope that the Lions would consider the trade to pick 21 to acquire him (if he was available). I personally believe Chop is going to be an underwhelming, highly athletic player that isn't going to live up to expectations. So I'd have zero issues if the Vikings selected him. 

Pick 24 - DAL - Tyler Guyton (Schrager); Graham Barton (DJ)

Cowboys are projected to add players to their OL. Guyton went a bit higher here with DJ. 

Pick 25 - GB - Cooper DeJean (Schrager and DJ)

The Packers have drafted a number of players recently that I've been a big fan of in the draft process. I don't like it because now I have to cheer against them and they're seemingly making an impact for a team that I despise. This pick would continue that trend. 

Pick 26 - TB - Graham Barton (Schrager); Jared Verse (DJ)

Barton just went at pick 24 in DJ's and is taken here at 26, so mid-20's seems like his sweet spot. Some consider him the top OC in the draft. Verse is unlikely to last to 29 and a lot of the teams in between are either division or conference rival. So that trade up to 21 (or 22 if Denver is there and feels Nix's market isn't too hot)

Pick 27 - ARI - Darius Robinson (Schrager); Laiatu Latu (DJ)

Schrager suggets that Robinson is the "quietest rising prospect" and [Schrager] wouldn't be surprised if [DR] went top 20. I like the player a lot but top 20 feels rich. I could imagine what the reaction would be of Lions fans if we did trade up to 21 and took Robinson. Latu's only going to be here due to medical concerns. I'd be more inclined to do a swap with the Bucs to take Latu if he's there. Low risk for a player that has proven to be healthy and you get the sign off from your medical people. 

Pick 28 - BUF - Brian Thomas Jr (Schrager); Laiatu Latu (DJ)

I could see a team in the 30's try to trade up ahead of Buffalo to acquire Thomas if he's there. Latu would just be great value in this spot. 

Pick 29 - MIA via DET - Chop Robinson (Schrager); DET - Kool-Aid McKinstry (DJ)

According to DJ, we've done a ton of work on CB's. He opts for Kool-Aid over Wiggins. 

Pick 30 - BAL - Kool-Aid (Schrager); Nate Wiggins (DJ)

Both guys give the Ravens a CB. 

Pick 31 - SF - AD Mitchell (Schrager); Xavier Worthy (DJ)

Aiyuk is on the trade block and the 49ers could use some talent at the position. Worthy is getting Tank Dell comp from DJ and using the Dolphins use of speed to help justify the pick. 

Pick 32 - NE via LAR (from KC) - Xavier Legette (Schrager); KC - AD Mitchell

The Rams trade down again after getting the pick from the Chiefs in the first place. It would be interesting to see them step away from drafting in Round 1 (again). There was an anecdote I heard somewhere (maybe Chris Simms?) about how the Chiefs and Packers don't select WR's in the 1st round because they want those players to earn the role (maybe it's a development thing or a hierarchy thing). I feel like the Chiefs won't use this pick on a WR (if at all) and they acquire a veteran WR via trade. The organization hasn't selected a WR in round 1 since Jonathan Baldwin in 2011. 

1ST ROUND PROJECTIONS NOT REFERENCED

• Schrager: Johnny Newton, Nate Wiggins
  • DJ: Darius Robinson, Xavier Legette

Both missing

• Jackson Powers-Johnson
  • Keon Coleman
  • Kingsley Suamataia
  • Jordan Morgan
  • Christian Haynes
  • Tyler Nubin
  • Ladd McConkey
  • TJ Tampa
  • Zach Frazier

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

It has more “first round talent”. Hard to compare the classes overall just yet. 

I disagree and according to a couple GM's they only have 15 players with first round grades.  I feel like when you get to the late teens/early 20s, the talent isn't significantly different between there and pick 60.  

I would say overall I think this is a pretty solid class but maybe not as good as last year.  If you go by position it makes it easier IMO.  QB, WR, OT and CB seem pretty deep.  Edge has a lot of solid players but none that are fighting for the top 5-7 picks IMO although one might go there.  Interior DL I think is weak as is RB, TE, LB and S.  

40 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Just comparing Schrager and Jeremiah's two mocks. People talk to Schrager (for reasons that I don't understand, he is annoying as heck) and I believe he has been fairly accurate over the years as a result. DJ's mocks are about the conversations that he's having. 

I'm interesting in doing a comparison of two plugged in guys to see where there are consistencies, trends and/or players that seem like they're not going to be drafted in Round 1 as we may have expected. 

Picks 1 - 4

Exactly the same - Caleb at #1; Jayden at #2; Drake at #3; Marvin at #4

Pick 5 - LAC - JC Latham

I've heard of Latham being connected to Harbaugh before just at a later pick. I feel like [Latham] could be there at #11 and they could add a WR at pick #23 in a trade down with the Vikings. DJ has the Vikings holding on to 11 and 23 while Schrager has them moving up to #7 and then holding on to 

Pick 6 - NYG - Malik Nabers

There are rumblings about Daniel Jones. I don't see how/why they'd be a true threat to take a QB when Nabers is sitting on the board. 

Pick 7 - Vikings trade up for McCarthy (Schrager); Titans take Alt (DJ)

I feel like the Vikings either trade up with both of their 1st round selections to #5 (maybe even 3) or they play chicken and take McCarthy or BPA at pick #11 or even #23. 

Pick 8 - ATL - Dallas Turner

Pick 9 - CHI (Keeps the pick) - Rome Odunze (Schrager); Olu Faushanu (DJ)

Chicago doesn't hae a ton of picks. If they can't find the right trading partner I could see them staying here. Odunze probably makes the most sense (although Schrager has Joe Alt going at 11 and I don't think the Bears would pass up the Best OT in the draft if he's sitting in their lap). 

Pick 10 - NYJ - Bowers (Schrager); Odunze (DJ)

Odunze goes to the Bears in Schragers and so the Jets add Bowers while Odunze is available for DJ. The Jets go all in on Rogers. Probably isn't going to make a difference and Saleh won't keep his job. 

Pick 11 - TEN - Alt (Schrager); MIN - McCarthy (DJ)

Already touched on this at #7. This could be Latham to the Chargers or even Alt based on how things break out in Schrager's. 

Pick 12 - DEN - Bo Nix (Schrager); PHI (trade) - Taliese Fuaga (DJ)

For a team that is lacking a 2nd rounder and is now scraping the barrel of QB prospects in this draft, it feels really rich to stay at #12 and take Nix. This feels like a prime spot for a trade down. DJ has interesting comments on how the Eagles have not selected a CB in round 1 since 2002 and they invest in big bodies. The Eagles have 3 of the most expensive OL's on their roster. This is a move that could make a lot of sense. 

Pick 13 - LV - Michael Penix (Schrager and DJ)

DJ has been connecting him to the Raiders for a month. They probably want to make the deal for Jayden but Washington doesn't want to come down that far. 

Pick 14 - NO - Olu Faushanu (Schrager); Troy Fautanu (DJ)

DJ comments about how the Saints are trying to trade up for an OT. This could be a spot the Bears trade down to from #9. There have been some question marks about Fautanu's medicals. It'll be interesting to see how real that is or if it's just a smokescreen.

Pick 15 - IND - Byron Murphy (Schrager); Brock Bowers (DJ)

DJ comments about my guy, Quinyon, also being a potential fit. I can see the reasoning behind the pairing of Bowers and Anthony Richardson. Murphy is an interesting guy. There are also rumours about them being a trade up partner for a WR. 

Pick 16 - PHI trade w/ SEA - Terrion Arnold (Schrager); SEA - Terrion Arnold (DJ)

With the rumblings about the Eagles looking to trade up, CB seems like an obvious connection. However, I put more weight into DJ's analysis on their historical drafting and team building philosophy. 

Pick 17 - JAC - Xavier Worthy (Schrager); Quinyon Mitchell (DJ)

There are crazier things that have happened but I just don't see Worthy being selected over someone like Brian Thomas or AD Mitchell when all else is equal. We do tend to see players get drafted in clusters, so with Arnold being taken off the board at #16, Quinyon feels like a guy that would be taken shortly afterwards. 

Pick 18 - CIN - Fuaga (Schrager); Byron Murphy (DJ)

Schrager even comments about the problems his Nix at 12 selection is having and causing better players to drop. This is why I don't see Denver sitting there and taking him. Even if the Broncos trade down at a discount, they should expect to be able to grab their guy without a true threat until at least pick 19 (Rams). 

Pick 19 - KC - trade with LAR - Amarius Mims (Schrager); WAS - trade with LAR (DJ)

Schrager is projecting the Rams to be a "multiple trade back" team. DJ has advised that the Commanders have done a ton of work on OT's. There's going to be a run in round 1 here. Schrager is projecting the Rams receive 32, 64 and 131 (901 pts) for #19 (875) = +26 pts (a late 5th); DJ projects #36 (540) and #40 (500) in exchange for #19 (875) and #95 (120). Rams would gain +45 (late 4th). If [the Rams] like multiple guys in the 2nd round, I could see this happening. 

Pick 20 - PIT - Brian Thomas Jr (Schrager); Tyler Guyton (DJ)

Schrager is projecting a move for a WR (Aiyuk maybe?) while DJ is projecting CB and/or OL. Protecting Wilson and/or Fields is important. 

Pick 21 - DET - trade with MIA - Jared Verse (Schrager); MIA - Johnny Newton (DJ)

Schrager is projecting the Lions to give up pick #29 and pick #73 (800 vs 865); Dolphins also don't have picks in R3 or R4 to even things out. Does Brad Holmes like Verse THAT much he'd be willing to give up the equivalent of a 4th in order to get Verse? Would the Dolphins give up a 2025 3rd to round it out? It's a bold and intriguing move.

Pick 22 - SEA via PHI trade - Fautanu (Schrager); DEN via PHI trade - Nix (DJ)

This feels much more plausible than the Broncos sticking at 12 and selecting Nix. 

Pick 23 - MIN - Quinyon Mitchell (Schrager); Chop Robinson (DJ)

The Vikings gave up a 2025 2nd round pick in order to acquire this pick. Either they made the decision to either a)trade up and acquire a QB or b) they evaluated the talent in the draft and decided the best players are going to be somewhere in the first 25ish picks and the draft isn't quite as deep as many suggest. They found a trading partner in the Texans to acquire an extra 1st. I love Mitchell and hope that the Lions would consider the trade to pick 21 to acquire him (if he was available). I personally believe Chop is going to be an underwhelming, highly athletic player that isn't going to live up to expectations. So I'd have zero issues if the Vikings selected him. 

Pick 24 - DAL - Tyler Guyton (Schrager); Graham Barton (DJ)

Cowboys are projected to add players to their OL. Guyton went a bit higher here with DJ. 

Pick 25 - GB - Cooper DeJean (Schrager and DJ)

The Packers have drafted a number of players recently that I've been a big fan of in the draft process. I don't like it because now I have to cheer against them and they're seemingly making an impact for a team that I despise. This pick would continue that trend. 

Pick 26 - TB - Graham Barton (Schrager); Jared Verse (DJ)

Barton just went at pick 24 in DJ's and is taken here at 26, so mid-20's seems like his sweet spot. Some consider him the top OC in the draft. Verse is unlikely to last to 29 and a lot of the teams in between are either division or conference rival. So that trade up to 21 (or 22 if Denver is there and feels Nix's market isn't too hot)

Pick 27 - ARI - Darius Robinson (Schrager); Laiatu Latu (DJ)

Schrager suggets that Robinson is the "quietest rising prospect" and [Schrager] wouldn't be surprised if [DR] went top 20. I like the player a lot but top 20 feels rich. I could imagine what the reaction would be of Lions fans if we did trade up to 21 and took Robinson. Latu's only going to be here due to medical concerns. I'd be more inclined to do a swap with the Bucs to take Latu if he's there. Low risk for a player that has proven to be healthy and you get the sign off from your medical people. 

Pick 28 - BUF - Brian Thomas Jr (Schrager); Laiatu Latu (DJ)

I could see a team in the 30's try to trade up ahead of Buffalo to acquire Thomas if he's there. Latu would just be great value in this spot. 

Pick 29 - MIA via DET - Chop Robinson (Schrager); DET - Kool-Aid McKinstry (DJ)

According to DJ, we've done a ton of work on CB's. He opts for Kool-Aid over Wiggins. 

Pick 30 - BAL - Kool-Aid (Schrager); Nate Wiggins (DJ)

Both guys give the Ravens a CB. 

Pick 31 - SF - AD Mitchell (Schrager); Xavier Worthy (DJ)

Aiyuk is on the trade block and the 49ers could use some talent at the position. Worthy is getting Tank Dell comp from DJ and using the Dolphins use of speed to help justify the pick. 

Pick 32 - NE via LAR (from KC) - Xavier Legette (Schrager); KC - AD Mitchell

The Rams trade down again after getting the pick from the Chiefs in the first place. It would be interesting to see them step away from drafting in Round 1 (again). There was an anecdote I heard somewhere (maybe Chris Simms?) about how the Chiefs and Packers don't select WR's in the 1st round because they want those players to earn the role (maybe it's a development thing or a hierarchy thing). I feel like the Chiefs won't use this pick on a WR (if at all) and they acquire a veteran WR via trade. The organization hasn't selected a WR in round 1 since Jonathan Baldwin in 2011. 

1ST ROUND PROJECTIONS NOT REFERENCED

• Schrager: Johnny Newton, Nate Wiggins
  • DJ: Darius Robinson, Xavier Legette

Both missing

• Jackson Powers-Johnson
  • Keon Coleman
  • Kingsley Suamataia
  • Jordan Morgan
  • Christian Haynes
  • Tyler Nubin
  • Ladd McConkey
  • TJ Tampa
  • Zach Frazier

If we trade up and take Verse while Q Mitchell is on the board I might throw my remote at the TV.  I know I have to trust Holmes but that seems like a bad move IMO.  If we trade up, I have a feeling that is the range we will go up though because Holmes has one of his top 5 or so guys available there.