1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

19 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

It sounds like OTA's weren't too big for him, we'll see what news comes out of the next cycle of offseason work.

He could be like Caleb Williams and throw 7 INTs in OTAs haha

1 hour ago, viking said:

Nice way to put it!

10 hours ago, jofos said:

I think that one thing people are getting wrong about McCarthy is that he is competing with Darnold for QB1. McCarthy is QB1 now he is simply competing with his readiness. 

I hope he either meets his readiness threshold, or goes in to the season as QB3. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 11:54 AM, AP_allday2869 said:

I don't put much stock in any camp until training camp.

I guess I don't either but what we've heard is certainly encouraging. Better than the alternative IMO. Hopefully he keeps moving/progressing forward.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

...what we've heard is certainly encouraging. 

and not just about McCarthy either.

Kwesi, who many doubted early on and after his first draft, has shown he and KO had a plan from the very beginning, that is now starting to be realized.

younger, faster, smarter. that is how this team is being organized now, from the top down to every position on the roster.

• Like 1

Given that J.J. McCarthy is the key to the Minnesota Vikings’ future, I wanted to examine his game in as much detail as possible. While scouting his 2023 season, I also charted every single play, looking at various factors, including down and distance, alignment information, dropback type, pressure, route concepts, throw location, play result, accuracy, and a grade for each play.

I charted 312 “aimed” passes; I removed tipped passes, throwaways, hit as thrown, and gadget plays like tap passes from the sample. On those aimed plays, McCarthy made 250 accurate passes (80.1%) and just 62 inaccurate passes (19.9%). Of those accurate passes, I rated 198 of them pinpoint (63.5% of the total attempts).

Another interesting insight for the charting data is a detailed look into Michigan’s passing game. Despite a low number of overall attempts compared to other prospects, McCarthy’s tape showed very little fat. Per PFF, Bo Nix threw 111 screens. That means that over a fifth of his dropbacks don’t give you much information on who he is as a player. For McCarthy, I charted 379 plays that were passing plays from scrimmage. Of those, they had:

• 25 under-center snaps (6.6%)
  • 30 pistol snaps (7.9%)
  • 324 shotgun snaps (85.5%) (In 2023, 70.6% of the Vikings’ pass attempts were out of shotgun

However, I have data on how often he threw to certain reads based on the play design. Of 300 total dropbacks with designed reads drawn up (and no scramble), McCarthy threw:

• 182 passes to the first read (60.7%)
  • 63 to the second read (21%)
  • 55 to a player beyond the second read (18.3%)

The last thing I did was assign a value — positive, negative, or neutral — to every play McCarthy made. With 420 snaps recorded, I ended up with:

• 244 neutral plays (58.1%)
  • 121 positive plays (28.8%)
  • 55 negative plays (13.1%)

https://zonecoverage.com/2024/minnesota-vikings-news/what-i-learned-from-charting-jj-mccarthy/

• Like 1

Justin Jefferson: “JJ brings a new energy. A new soul. I love his confidence. I love his attitude. Of course him coming off a championship, you can’t have any more confidence than that. That confidence is going to continue to be with him, and it’s my job to install that into his brain throughout the whole entire season. And of course giving him that extra confidence by throwing me the ball."

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/justin-jefferson-kirk-cousins-mccarthy-news/

• Like 2

Kevin Seifert, ESPN: "Here's what we can say about McCarthy so far. After two days of minicamp, and with one final week of OTAs remaining, he's squarely behind veteran Sam Darnold on the depth chart."

"During the practices open to reporters, Darnold has taken nearly all of the first-team reps, and more often than not, veteran Nick Mullens been the next quarterback to step in followed by McCarthy and then Jaren Hall."

https://www.si.com/nfl/j-j-mccarthy-vikings-depth-chart-sam-darnold

Kevin Seifert, ESPN: "There are no indications that the Vikings were looking to test McCarthy in a "1's vs. 1's" situation this spring. McCarthy's throws have plenty of juice but have not always been accurate. During a red zone drill Wednesday, he had three consecutive passes hit the ground. That's nothing to be concerned about, especially because other passes were right on the money. But after years of watching Kirk Cousins' precision throws, the lack of consistency has been noticeable. Overall, however, the best way to describe McCarthy this spring is with one word: rookie.”

hmmm... Penix only had two bad passes in a row, and McCarthy had three.... lol

• Like 1

How are rookie signing bonuses usually paid out?

And what does "hold out" mean, not come to mandatory practices? How do he and his agent think that helps their position?

Edited by vike daddy

Nor do I see any news outlet carrying this development, broken first by "prettyrickey."

A review of Rickey's tweets also shows that during the draft he learned the Patriots were going to trade down or draft McCarthy.

So... The source seems unreliable.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1