1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Based on Tom Brady’s Instagram story, he recently sat down with each of the top quarterback draftees. He has a picture of himself and Drake Maye while also referencing Caleb Williams and J.J. McCarthy in other images. The get-together was a Fanatics-driven event, with CEO Michael Rubin assembling the group.

We will likely never be told about the actual discussions. Again, though, Brady being present for someone like McCarthy to talk with and potentially develop a relationship with is never going to be a bad thing. McCarthy has a significant amount of development to take place both this year and into his playing career. Surrounding himself with talented and intelligent individuals is nothing to ever avoid.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/tom-brady-loving-on-vikings-quarterback

• Like 2

O'Connell: "JJ's doing a great job of handling everything and just enjoying seeing the process, rep-to-rep improvement, taking coaching points from Josh or Wes or myself, and just continuing to build on what we–we spent a lot of time together pre-draft, and one of the real benefits of that, is in a lot of ways, a lot of things we're talking about he's not hearing for the first time now."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10122301-nfl-rumors-vikings-havent-ruled-out-jj-mccarthy-being-qb1-over-sam-darnold-week-1.amp.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3Hvu672zOax6jWslQYYuHfxKT9xGrwrQpwJ1SWEruzBRs7gDpBVxHIdVY_aem_Ab2vwKhRYFygEE7XyXu_rdbm7Z6YaE3Sr-5bJzOatkQhSYR0HjioEmoKTfWgWwjYqzsJK_ytGYukmzUZjhzi3IDp

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert: "The Vikings don’t view Darnold simply as someone they can play if McCarthy isn’t ready for Week 1. It’s more accurate to understand him as a player the Vikings believe they can compete with as McCarthy moves through an organized developmental plan that prioritizes his long-term future.”

“Does that mean the Vikings have ruled out McCarthy as their Week 1 starter? Of course not. But they want his ascension to be organic — based on his own aptitude and readiness — rather than forced by a lack of alternatives.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/espn-drops-a-j-j-mccarthy-hint

• Like 2

During his Wednesday press conference, Josh McCown said Minnesota went through a “very thorough” pre-draft process to find the right fit at QB. McCown noted that McCarthy’s pro day was especially impressive, saying it was excellent.

McCown: “Then when we went back for the private workout, just the meeting-room time — you could tell he’s been very well coached and his retention on the plays and materials we gave him and asked him to talk through was spot on. He was A-plus in that regard. That was encouraging as well. But I’d say the classroom more than anything and his personal ability with — you’re sitting in a classroom with a bunch of coaches, it can be intimidating as a young player. And he held his own, both intellectually on the board and then relationally and emotionally.”

“We have to strike it perfectly and ultimately maintain a growth mindset with him. We want him to perform well every snap that he gets. But every snap that he gets, a lot of these things are his first snap at some of these looks and some of these throws. And just the things that you get asked to do in the pros across every organization is different than what you’re asked to do in college. I mean, the hashes are different. So, so many of these things are new and first time for him.

“And so, you understand those things, you frame them properly as he grows through it. But always expecting a level of production and a level of execution that doesn’t step back from what our group is as a whole. So, you’re always striking that balance. But ultimately I think taking a growth mindset with him and looking at everything as what it is here in Year 1.”

McCown joked that his own career is filled with examples of “what not to do” for McCarthy. But McCown has also had to learn plenty of offenses and noted that element can assist McCarthy in his transition to the NFL.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/josh-mccown-on-j-j-mccarthy-we-ultimately-have-to-maintain-a-growth-mindset-with-him

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I am really coming to hate the term "growth mindset." 

The single worst boss I've ever had threw that term around like it was going out of style so every time I hear that term I cringe a little bit.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

The single worst boss I've ever had threw that term around like it was going out of style so every time I hear that term I cringe a little bit.

I no longer want to think outside the box, touch base or circle back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I no longer want to think outside the box, touch base or circle back.

yes, but will you have a winning team attitude?

i always found those who talked most about fostering a team culture were the worst ones at doing so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

A fine article.  Thanks for posting it, SteelKing728.

This was particularly interesting:

Notably, the pressure rate McCarthy faced in Michigan was still less than what he’ll face in the NFL.

Yes, Defensive Coordinators are likely going to throw the kitchen sink at McCarthy during his first few outings, as they do to any rookie.  The numbers suggest this will backfire, turning first downs into touchdowns.  My guess is that they'll sit in zones along the yardsticks until J.J. proves he can and will throw deeper.

I'll spare you the chart but here is a quirky factoid about McCarthy's schedule:  All four opponents who use man coverage most come in the first five weeks.  In total, 9 games are against adversaries in the top 7 in terms of zone coverage frequency (including all three NFC-North opponents).

Add this to the dozens of other reasons to start J.J. on Week #1.  He, Jefferson, and Addison will eviscerate man coverage.

• Like 3