1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

48 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Good for McCarthy!  More people, men especially, need to talk about depression. It's still stigmatized and male sufferers are judged to be week by some others.  Thankfully, things are better...but there's still away to go.  

@VikeManDan, if this post is inappropriate, please let me know, and I will delete.  It's subject matter I feel passionate about. Thanks.

That was a red flag for me.  I agree with you, in principle, but that's a high pressure situation to be in.  Do you really want your leader and most important player to have issues?  Idk the details behind it, but apparently they aren't too bad or they wouldn't have traded up to take him.  But we don't need another Demetrius Underwood (I'm NOT saying that JJ is another one!).  I googled Demetrius, and I either didn't know or forgot how messed up he was.  So he's a terrible comparison to bring up, since he had severe mental problems.  He's just the only one I can think of that had mental issues derail his career so horribly.  

9 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

That was a red flag for me.  I agree with you, in principle, but that's a high pressure situation to be in.  Do you really want your leader and most important player to have issues?  Idk the details behind it, but apparently they aren't too bad or they wouldn't have traded up to take him.  But we don't need another Demetrius Underwood (I'm NOT saying that JJ is another one!).  I googled Demetrius, and I either didn't know or forgot how messed up he was.  So he's a terrible comparison to bring up, since he had severe mental problems.  He's just the only one I can think of that had mental issues derail his career so horribly.  

Is this parody?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

The last Vikings' jersey I got was Greenway.  The only jersey I've bought in recent years was a McCaffrey SB jersey last season.  Prior to that, the last jersey I bought was easily a decade ago.  

To tell you how long ago it was for me, before I bought the Kendricks one a handful of years ago, the last one I had bought was the NFL 75th anniversary jersey of Warren Moon.  I can no longer fit in that one (since I was 20-21 yrs old), but still have it. 

• Like 1

While the Bowling Green game was McCarthy’s worst game, I don’t think it was as bad as the box score would indicate. 

On the 1st interception, I want to know what 89’s responsibility was. It certainly didn’t look like he knew where he was supposed to be, and he brought the defender into the throwing lane. From that TV angle, it looks like 89 should have either A.) been more deliberate and gone towards the middle of the field, sitting in that zone and clearing the throwing lane, or B.) he went to deep into the end zone. He should have sat down at the goal line. Keeping the defender from drifting back as far as he did. There’s no denying that McCarthy gets a little tunnel vision, but this play also shows the importance of everyone doing what they are supposed to. 

The 2nd interception looks like a bad route by the wide receiver. A receiver running a deep post has to break his route in front of the deepest defender. As Vikings fans we got a good sense of this early in 2022 when Jefferson did this to Kirk against Green Bay and Philly. It always looks bad for the QB, but the receiver needs to run the route properly. 

The 3rd interception is bad. First, the defender makes a sensational play. Cant take anything away from him. But this is an example for McCarthy that when it’s time to throw away the ball, you don’t get style points. Chuck that pigskin into the stands. This is one of those learning moments. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

The last Vikings' jersey I got was Greenway.  The only jersey I've bought in recent years was a McCaffrey SB jersey last season.  Prior to that, the last jersey I bought was easily a decade ago.  

To tell you how long ago it was for me, before I bought the Kendricks one a handful of years ago, the last one I had bought was the NFL 75th anniversary jersey of Warren Moon.  I can no longer fit in that one (since I was 20-21 yrs old), but still have it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

He's just the only one I can think of that had mental issues derail his career so horribly.  

It happens more than you would think.  Everson Griffen is a more recent example of a player on the team that publicly had mental health struggles.  For every case that is known publicly there are probably ten others that we never hear about. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

It happens more than you would think.  Everson Griffen is a more recent example of a player on the team that publicly had mental health struggles.  For every case that is known publicly there are probably ten others that we never hear about. 

Agreed. Everton was a better example. I think quite a few of the guys that get in trouble have mental problems and self medicate. I made the mistake of getting in business with someone who had depression & anxiety that he told me about after a year or so. I think he’s bipolar and he’s essentially a worthless alcoholic that medicates his mental problems with booze. He hid it good for a while, but in the end it couldn’t be ignored. Huge problem!  Lesson learned!  

The fact that McCarthy is upfront about it is huge. that’s especially good if it’s a situational thing, and not a chronic thing. Let’s hope it’s all good with him!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

The fact that McCarthy is upfront about it is huge. that’s especially good if it’s a situational thing, and not a chronic thing. Let’s hope it’s all good with him!

that, and he worked through it and found better ways to cope with the challenges in his life then, as what, a 17 year old? away from his family? away from his girlfriend? everyone around him new and putting expectations on his performance?

that's the message here about him. not that he struggled, but that he overcame those struggles, while facing pressures he had yet to experience.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 9

Nothing makes the world turn properly like former NFL quarterbacks analyzing new quarterbacks coming into a league that has chewed them up. One former quarterback has faith in the Vikings’ new quarterback, Sam Darnold, to cause problems for their top draft pick.

The quarterback providing this analysis is none other than Johnny Manziel.  The former Heisman Trophy winner gave a valid reason for his belief in Darnold.

Manziel: “I know that may raise a little bit of red flags and raise a couple heads up off the table, but Sam Darnold can play football. That guy can sling the rock, he was drafted where he was for a reason, and he’s been waiting for a situation like this.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/05/former-nfl-quarterback-mccarthy-is-going-to-have-his-hands-full-with-sam-darnold/?

Johnny Who...? lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't see how Darnold being successful would cause problems for McCarthy 

is he on more than a one year contract?

be cool if we could train him up and then trade him for something, but if it's just a one year deal, then probably not.

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

is he on more than a one year contract?

be cool if we could train him up and then trade him for something, but if it's just a one year deal, then probably not.

It's 1 year so Darnold is playing for a new contract for next season with a different team. 

If Darnold is looking good and McCarthy is ready to go before the trade deadline and some team loses their starter, maybe they could trade him mid-season.  That is a lot of ifs and seems unlikely though so they'll probably lose him in the offseason with the chance to get a comp pick

• Like 1