1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Vikings get: 1.10 (McCarthy) and 6.203 (Will Reichard)

JJ Chart = 1,310.2 points
Rich Hill Chart = 372.73 points
Fitzgerald-Spielberger = 2,140 points

Jets get: 1.11 (O. Fashanu), 4.129 (NYJ traded pick), and 5.157 (NYJ traded pick)

JJ Chart = 1,321.6
Rich Hill Chart = 386.67
F/S = 2,760

JJ difference = 11.4 (equal value to pick 200)
Rich Hill difference = 13.94 (equal value, roughly, to pick 143)
F/S difference = 620 (equal value, roughly, to pick 109)

Gotta love all of that!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Vikings get: 1.10 (McCarthy) and 6.203 (Will Reichard)

Gotta love all of that!

yes, exactly! and if things work out optimally (who knows if they will...) both those players could have 10+ year careers.

great value.

i wrote it once before, Kwesi is investing in IPO growth stocks, expecting them to really take off.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:38 AM, GermanVike said:

If anyone wants to see all his throws and runs of the 2023 season, here is a video: 

I was actually more impressed by his tape against Ohio St. in 2022. The Buckeyes loaded up the box to stop the run and Harbaugh had to put the game on the shoulders of the then 19 year old McCarthy... and he delivered. 

More than happy with getting him at 10. The dude has all the intangibles, and we have KOC to coach him all the tangibles.

Thank you for posting this. Was really fun to watch, once I finally got some time to do it.
I'm not going to pretend that I'm some expert at grading/judging QB's, but there is a lot to be excited about when watching him throw.

He seems to feast on the intermediate throws and doesnt seem intimidated to throw over the middle. Most of his throws were absolute lasers that he put where only his receivers could get it, so arm strength doesnt seem too bad. Thrived on play action and some of his best throws were on the run and were absolute dimes. Willing to pull it down and take off when there wasn't anything open. Great athleticism to get what he can and then try to get down or get out of bounds. Didn't seem like he tried to initiate contact unless it was near the goal line, so he tried to protect himself as much as possible (which is smart).

But there are definitely some concerns I have.
He seems to have a low release point, which could lead to a lot of batted balls.
Seems pretty inconsistent on touch throws, especially downfield. 
Needs to work on not forcing throws and throwing the ball out of bounds at times, to prevent risk of turnover.

All in all you can just see the potential oozing out of him. Seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders.
Hoping he can reach his full potential and we have our long term QB. SKOL!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, meixdaddy_10 said:

Thank you for posting this. Was really fun to watch, once I finally got some time to do it.
I'm not going to pretend that I'm some expert at grading/judging QB's, but there is a lot to be excited about when watching him throw.

He seems to feast on the intermediate throws and doesnt seem intimidated to throw over the middle. Most of his throws were absolute lasers that he put where only his receivers could get it, so arm strength doesnt seem too bad. Thrived on play action and some of his best throws were on the run and were absolute dimes. Willing to pull it down and take off when there wasn't anything open. Great athleticism to get what he can and then try to get down or get out of bounds. Didn't seem like he tried to initiate contact unless it was near the goal line, so he tried to protect himself as much as possible (which is smart).

But there are definitely some concerns I have.
He seems to have a low release point, which could lead to a lot of batted balls.
Seems pretty inconsistent on touch throws, especially downfield. 
Needs to work on not forcing throws and throwing the ball out of bounds at times, to prevent risk of turnover.

All in all you can just see the potential oozing out of him. Seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders.
Hoping he can reach his full potential and we have our long term QB. SKOL!

After receiving the ball from center, he holds it too low.  It actually slows down his release.  If he learns to hold it up near his collarbone, he'll quicken up his release as well as raise his release point.

• Like 3

Do you guys think JJ McCarthy is a better prospect than some of our other 1st round QBs?

I mean, we all know Ponder was way overdrafted, but how does he compare to guys like Bridgewater or Culpepper?

Edited by SteelKing728
The draft is over so it's this kind of stuff I find interesting this time of year haha

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys think JJ McCarthy is a better prospect than some of our other 1st round QBs?

Ponder and Bridgewater, yes. Quite easily. 

Culpepper was definitely a more physically gifted prospect, he was a freak. But he was definitely more raw from a nuance of the position standpoint. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I mean, we all know Ponder was way overdrafted, but how does he compare to guys like Bridgewater or Culpepper?

Ponder I feel was drafted that high because people freaked out about how smart, didn't he like graduate in three years then went to get a masters or something as well... he was believed to have super high of character along with being super tough and a "leader".  Ultimately with him it came down to his arm talent flat out sucked and being mobile was not enough and physically he was pretty thin and started to breakdown.

Teddy, very confident and not super gifted athletically but the kid could throw the football and get the ball out on time and accurately.  Everyone loved the guy, great leader that way and brought the team together.  Just physically he was so thin especially in the lower body and those injuries obviously ended his career despite success he had.  

Daunte Culpepper was a physical marvel, think how great he could have been if he played in the NFL today with his power.  However he did turn it over constantly, awful fumble issues and did not always see the field well and threw a lot of INTs.  Physically he was super rare and on a totally different level than everyone else here in terms of pure physical talent.  

With JJ McCarthy time will tell.  He does not have unprecedented arm talent but does have extremely rare ability to relate to his teammates and lead them.  Great success in terms of winning at a very high level which is awesome, big time winner that only lost one game as a starter.  But also against the best competition he went up against last year he was not very successful at all passing the football.

Example Joe Burrow final year at LSU, played his best against the best late in the year against Bama, Ole Miss, Georgia, OU and Clemson.  All of those games he around 350-490 yards passing and anywhere from 3-7 TDs in each game.  JJ McCarthy in those key games against Penn State, Maryland, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama and Washington....average around 142 yards passing and  .66 passing TDs per game.  Year previous in the playoff against TCU when Michigan got down big early and they were not used to that, he threw for decent yardage but also had two INTs that went for touchdowns in a 51-45 loss.  So high character is great but ultimately it does always come down to throwing the football and how well you do it.  Hopefully they are not pressured to play him too early from people that think he is more ready than he really is potentially.  They will have a very hard time from the fan base though to not play him at all this season but honestly hopefully he does not have to but then again maybe Darnold is just simply not good, but I hope based on his time with the 49ers he is ready to at least spell McCarthy over half the season if not the full year.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ponder I feel was drafted that high because people freaked out about how smart, didn't he like graduate in three years then went to get a masters or something as well... he was believed to have super high of character along with being super tough and a "leader".  Ultimately with him it came down to his arm talent flat out sucked and being mobile was not enough and physically he was pretty thin and started to breakdown.

Teddy, very confident and not super gifted athletically but the kid could throw the football and get the ball out on time and accurately.  Everyone loved the guy, great leader that way and brought the team together.  Just physically he was so thin especially in the lower body and those injuries obviously ended his career despite success he had.  

Daunte Culpepper was a physical marvel, think how great he could have been if he played in the NFL today with his power.  However he did turn it over constantly, awful fumble issues and did not always see the field well and threw a lot of INTs.  Physically he was super rare and on a totally different level than everyone else here in terms of pure physical talent.  

With JJ McCarthy time will tell.  He does not have unprecedented arm talent but does have extremely rare ability to relate to his teammates and lead them.  Great success in terms of winning at a very high level which is awesome, big time winner that only lost one game as a starter.  But also against the best competition he went up against last year he was not very successful at all passing the football.

Example Joe Burrow final year at LSU, played his best against the best late in the year against Bama, Ole Miss, Georgia, OU and Clemson.  All of those games he around 350-490 yards passing and anywhere from 3-7 TDs in each game.  JJ McCarthy in those key games against Penn State, Maryland, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama and Washington....average around 142 yards passing and  .66 passing TDs per game.  Year previous in the playoff against TCU when Michigan got down big early and they were not used to that, he threw for decent yardage but also had two INTs that went for touchdowns in a 51-45 loss.  So high character is great but ultimately it does always come down to throwing the football and how well you do it.  Hopefully they are not pressured to play him too early from people that think he is more ready than he really is potentially.  They will have a very hard time from the fan base though to not play him at all this season but honestly hopefully he does not have to but then again maybe Darnold is just simply not good, but I hope based on his time with the 49ers he is ready to at least spell McCarthy over half the season if not the full year.  

Good post Ozzy.

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

Most punchable faces in NFL or around, Captain's Choices:

1. Sean Payton

2. Jimmy Johnson

3. Mel Kiper, Jr.

4. Jerry Jones

5. Kyle Shanahan 

You forgot one

1a Sean Payton

1b Nick Sirianni 

3 minutes ago, Wundy said:

You forgot one

1a Sean Payton

1b Nick Sirianni 

I have no opinion on Sirianni whatsoever...to me, he's an irrelevant personality.  I found Pederson far more annoying than Sirianni. 

• SemperFeist changed the title to 1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9