1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

Somewhat similar.  Fran would've changed direction 5 more times, retreated 25 yards behind the line of scrimmage, made his way back to the line of scrimmage, weaving through traffic, and then, just as he was about to cross the line, he would hit a receiver on the side line 20 yards up field.  The whole play would take about 20 seconds, he would've run about 70 yards back and forth. At the end all the defensive linemen would head towards the sideline for oxygen. 

He would also point down field several times too.

• Like 3

And per McCarthy, when he slipped out of the Top 5, he believed a two-horse race existed for his services between the Vikings and Denver Broncos. 

McCarthy: “Yes, I did think there was a chance I would be a Bronco. You know, that was kind of my two spots that I really felt like, you know, I was gonna go after seeing the first six picks. And, you know, both great spots, but I’m extremely excited to stay in the Midwest and play for coach O’Connell.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/j-j-mccarthy-thought-it-was-a-2-horse-race-for-his-services?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I heard about this during the Michigan vs Ohio State game. Although I was interested in McCarthy prior to knowing about this, it was that game and that moment when I became a McCarthy fan. 

I hope he keeps that same energy and drive in the NFL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I heard about this during the Michigan vs Ohio State game. Although I was interested in McCarthy prior to knowing about this, it was that game and that moment when I became a McCarthy fan. 

I hope he keeps that same energy and drive in the NFL.

Yeah...didn't he grow up a Bears fan?  Maybe he can have a good rivalry with Caleb Williams. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Yeah...didn't he grow up a Bears fan?  Maybe he can have a good rivalry with Caleb Williams. 

He did. In that way, he'll be compared to Williams and have a rivalry with him. 

But then that could be said for all 6 first round QBs taken this year. Years down the road people will compare all of them and try to find who was the best. 

24 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

He did. In that way, he'll be compared to Williams and have a rivalry with him. 

But then that could be said for all 6 first round QBs taken this year. Years down the road people will compare all of them and try to find who was the best. 

I don't think there'll be a "rivalry" per se, because they're different types of QBs, despite playing in the division.  There's no real duel between Herbert and Mahomes despite playing in the same division.

One thing that won't change though is the hatred of the Packers.

• Like 2

The only way for Williams vs McCarthy to get turned into a “rivalry” is if both QBs are leading their respective teams and consistently battling for the top spot in the division. 

• Like 2